•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX 125 phone contact

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

I purchased an ETX 125 and it is on its way to me. I know little about it except what I learned before buying and what I learn from research im frantically doing before its arrival. What I would really like is a person who has experience who would not mind voice (phone/duo/skype/facebook voice/etc.) contact. 

I live in Fort Collins CO. and a local contact would also be great. Just looking for someone that can discuss the features and setup process. Not sure if there are any ETX users willing to chat but if so please PM me (dont leave your details here obviously) 

My new scope (should be here in a week) 

Attached Thumbnails

• ETX125.jpg

• M57Guy likes this

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

There is little to do on them, they are almost a manual scope is many ways.

Get the manual, find the menu tree.

Power up scope should start at a warning not to look at the sun, Press Enter I think.

For some reason it may be the ? in the lower center. I know the Sun warning is odd.

Press Mode until it reads Select Item - Mode really means Back as in Back Up the Menu Tree, they changed it to Back on the LS6 handset. No idea why they called it Mode.

At Select Item press one of the Up/Down key at the bottom either works just it goes one way or the other through the Selection options.

When it displays Set Up press Enter. You are now in the Set Up Options.

Scroll Up/Down again until Site appears. Press Enter.

Displays something like Enter Name - Have fun getting FTC in.

You have to press Up/Down until the F, move along with the right arrow on the upper pad and scroll Up/Down again through the alphabet for the next/each letter. It is a pain. And a long pain.

Once FTC is in press Enter. FTC is for ForT Collins by the way.

Should ask for Latitude: You are 40  33 North. Press Enter

Should ask for Longitude: You are 105  12 West. Press Enter.

Time zone looks like UTC -7, could be simply -7. Press Enter.

Now the confusing bit, I think it then asks for Name (again). Press Mode.

It may/will then ask for Time +/- Date, forget it, press Mode.

That is your location set. Can be done indoors during the day.

I would power cycle the thing at this time, just easier.

Tell it you will not look at the sun, again.

If the handset is like a 494 you cannot select the Sun anyway.

Now your next bit.

Level the mount - I use the base and a small cross level.

Point the OTA North, true North not compass, Polaris is likely the best you can do.

Level the OTA, use the cross level again.

Select 2 star align.

Supply Date, and Time and DST (Off presently).

Scope should sit there for about 3 seconds then tell you it is going to AStar1 and slew to it. More or less. And it will be out of view almost every first time.

Center in finder scope and center in main scope.

Scope should sit there for about 3 seconds then tell you it is going to AStar2 and slew to it.

Center in finder scope and center in main scope.

That should be it aligned and it is raring to go.

To goto something press Mode until Select Item press Enter then scroll to Object, press Enter. Scroll round for a class of object. Try Messier objects press Enter, scroll UP/Down and left and right to enter say 042, press Enter.

Handset should display 2 lines of brief information. If you press Goto it should goto M42.

Suggest you still check the mount type set. As said my 105 defaults to Eq the, 70 defaults to Alt/Az.

Should be under: Select Item - Setup - Telescope - Mount.

Here is a slight doubt in my mind.

I am a little unsure if it displays what you are, or what you can change to.

One mount is a bit weird, might be a skywatcher however.

Forget the rest like train drives and utilities. For now anyway. Just get used to the structure and the assorted button presses required.

https://www.meade.co...r497english.pdf

Page 5.

Edited by sg6, 08 January 2020 - 05:48 PM.

• M57Guy likes this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

North Eastern Colorado probably has astronomy clubs. You can search here. Getting advice from friendly helpful club members are one way to go. https://www.astrolea...clubs-usa-state

The ETX mounting system has been around for a good while, many of them have been sold and used successfully. You can probably get advice in-person about using it.

One piece of advice from my personal experience. DO NOT tighten the front lens cap on too tightly. Several strong men were not able to loosen a front cap on an ETX 125 a few years ago when the cap was over tightened.

#4 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:06 PM

Make sure it comes with a spreader bar as there's not one pictured in your photo - you're gonna want that, and a hand controller of course.

Alignment/setup is rather simple, don't stress over this.

Lots of folks here will offer advice as needed.

Enjoy the new scope smile.gif

#5 adiastra

adiastra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:14 AM

I do appreciate all the advice however this is not what I was requesting in this thread. I work best by voice which is why I requested a voice contact. 

#6 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

Follow the instructions in the PDF I linked to in your other thread. You cannot go wrong if you follow the authors step by step instructions, and the ETX will perform remarkably well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics