•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modify the color in observations in Ha?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:51 PM

Hi,
Has anyone used any filters used in planetary observation placed in the eyepiece when we observe through a solar telescope in Ha to modify the color of the sun? I suppose that with a yellow, orange or green (solar continuum for example) would the image be any more "pleasant" for our eyes?
Cheers

Paul

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Would have expected the image at the eye to consist of Ha "color" only, so something like a continium would just lose all the Ha so sort of nothing left.

I think/suspect the images seen are processed so that a greater variation in color is seen on the image, which is not actually there in visual.

Red image through a green filter is, or should be, black. Slight dependance on the purity of the red and the bandpass width of the green filter.

• paulsky likes this

#3 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

The Orange colour you see in images is what you see in reality, some see it as red, I see it as a bright tangerine orange. I've tried all kinds of filters to try to enhance detail, only a polarizer and a light green moon filter showed any improvement. A continuum filter shows nothing.  

• paulsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics