•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mathematical physics, natural science, and philosophy of science

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 figurate

figurate

Apollo

• Loc: Metro North Texas

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Ultimately, things boil down to a sort of subject/object dipole, which is an intrinsic feature of the landscape we inhabit, and my reasonably neutral fallback position. It's whats there hidden between the boot and the strap. What remains after you sift the ore, plumb the cosmic depths, open the slit, accelerate the particle- one pole ultimately and invariably just leading to the other. Lines of force, of logical inference. The various turf battles tend to obscure that central, uncomfortable paradox. Anyway thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• llanitedave and Sleep Deprived like this

#52 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:55 PM

Ultimately, things boil down to a sort of subject/object dipole, which is an intrinsic feature of the landscape we inhabit, and my reasonably neutral fallback position. It's whats there hidden between the boot and the strap. What remains after you sift the ore, plumb the cosmic depths, open the slit, accelerate the particle- one pole ultimately and invariably just leading to the other. Lines of force, of logical inference. The various turf battles tend to obscure that central, uncomfortable paradox. Anyway thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

But, special gravity throws a natural curve - no?

#53 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

From the snarXiv (snarXiv.org) - hard to distinguish from the real thing, sometimes:

Models of Cosmic Rays Obtained Using Gerbs

O. A. Susskind, M. Cabibo

Comments: 23 pages, minor corrections

Subjects: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph); Statistical Mechanics (cond-mat.stat-mech)

In the 20th century, much work has been done on acoustic gauge mediation. Consequently, substantial progress has been made among mathematicians on models of inflation. Using the behavior of the left-right formulation of a perturbative CFT living on CY_n, we obtain dions, and calculate that some novel computations of a gravitational-dual of a perturbative WZW Chern-Simons Theory follow from spinning BMS supertranslations, and calculate that sheaf cohomology in WZW GR on AdS_n is useful for bounding inflation in the interstellar medium, and implement that, at least in the context of general dimensionality, quasi-primary operators on CY_m derive from the solution of twisted Matrix Models, and conjecture that, in the dimensionality case, condensates in the early universe turn out to be equivalent to the compactification of gerbs in QED_3. A model for quintessence is also reconstructed. After understanding special lagrangian instantons at the event horizon, we find that, as hinted at by Nekrosov, models of inflatonless inflation are diffractive, as hinted at by Kachru.

You can also play arXiv vs snarXiv.

http://snarxiv.org/vs-arxiv/

Edited by DaveC2042, 15 January 2020 - 05:31 PM.

#54 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:57 AM

Heh, I thought it was the belief of understanding science!

well... it includes the science of understanding the belief of understanding science.

Understand??

#55 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:50 AM

well... it includes the science of understanding the belief of understanding science.

Understand??

I believe so...

#56 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:00 PM

Understand??

could you repeat that? 

#57 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:48 AM

could you repeat that? 

I thought I did!

#58 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

I thought I did!

I just like to be doubly sure.

#59 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tamworth, NSW, Australia

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:10 AM

Intergalactic dust, thermalized by starlight, generates blackbody  CMB, not the big bang.  Apologies to theists and uninformed physicists.

Maxwell rules,

Barry

PS.

Has the old sadist done that tower of Babel thing again, cos I don't understand a word that Susskind utters!?

• jpcampbell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics