•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focal reducer with AGOptical 10.5" iDK?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmassa

cmassa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, California

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I'm seriously considering a major upgrade of my telescope to an AG Optical 10.5" iDK. Currently using a TPO 10" f/4 Newtonian and want a real step up to get away from the backfocus limits imposed by the coma corrector and the steel tube causing major focus shifts through the night. 

AGO does not have a focal reducer. I've emailed with Dave Tandy who says that the Astrophysics 27TVPH might work. Having a focal reducer would allow me imaging at the native 1674mm (F6.7) or 1255mm (F5) with the reducer. This reducer would also have a decent amount of backfocus available.

Another one he mentioned is the Planewave 0.66x reducer but it has a horribly small backfocus of 48mm and I don't see how anyone with an OAG can get anywhere near that. 

Does anyone have any experience with these or other focal reducers on corrected Dall-Kirkhams?

Thanks,

Chris

#2 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Chris

Not sure which iDK customers of Dave’s have tried the AP or PW reducers. When researching AG scopes I was deciding between the iDK F6.7 and Convergent F5. Rather than buy iDK and test out those third-party reducers (AP or PW) when needing faster/wider option I ordered 12.5” Convergent F5 in mid-November (scope shipped this week).

I had seen post on AG’s Facebook site that AG reducer might be offered in 2019 for iDK (similar specs for reducer had been discussed on their Facebook site back in 2014). However I had not seen/heard of anyone using the nicely spec’ed AG made reducer so I asked Dave if IDK (or Convergent) reducer was in-beta/testing. Response was ‘not available’ and I got same third-party reducer info recommendations (limited to iDK). Perhaps it was just higher cost of in-house product (so didn’t make it viable).

Good luck

Dave

• psandelle likes this

#3 Wiecha

Wiecha

Lift Off

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

Would you consider a very lightly used AGOptical 10” Convergent instead? If so I will post on classifieds and we can connect there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics