•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alter MN56 Focuser Replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 badgerman17

badgerman17

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

I bought an used Alter MN56 about 15 years ago before I went on astronomy hiatus due to employment relocation.  I'm getting back into astronomy as retirement approaches.  I have been messing with the Alter and now remember that I has to use a 1 1/4"helical focuser with the scope focuser to be able to reach focus with my eyepieces.  I would like to replace the stock Alter focuser with a 2" focuser with or without an extension so I can use my 2" eyepieces.  Any recommendations?

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

There's a low profile 50mm high Crayford for 2" here

https://www.teleskop...0mm-height.html

Add a base to suit your OTA diameter.

There's another https://www.teleskop...er---short.html

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

I have an MN66 and replaced the stock "leaning tower of pizza" focuser with a single speed JMI focuser.

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

Hmmmm. My MN56 has the standard low profile Intes Micro 2" Crayford focuser, similar to the one my Intes MK-67 had except shorter (MK-67 now has a 2" Feathertouch on it). If you had to add another focuser on it in the drawtube why did you not just add 2" extension tubes instead? I know JMI and Moonlite made/make adapters for the MN56. Starlight does not mention one however I have found that some of their adapters will also fit other scopes they don't mention. They do make an adapter for the MN84. I think that one uses a 3.076" opening on the scope side. I plan on doing the measurements on mine to see what adapter may fit. I know the JMI just uses a flat focuser base on the IM tube adapter. I have a Starlight flat adapter on one of my 2" FT focusers but I have not looked to see if the holes line up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics