•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Talk me into or out of the Takahashi FC100-DF

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#226 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:17 AM

That really looks nice, Ryan. Enjoy that fantastic refractor.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#227 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:20 AM

Couple more angles..

attachicon.giffeather 2.5.jpg

attachicon.giffeather 2.5.jpg

Wow the correct part really fits much closer and tighter. Nice, thanks!

• 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#228 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:42 PM

Here's a look at the full setup.. I don't think I've posted a photo of the whole package on this thread yet.

Takahashi FC-100DF, Feather Touch MPA-2.5 focuser, Stellarvue M2C Mount, & Berlebach Uni 18 Tripod

tak-df & berlebach uni-1.jpg

tak-df & berlebach uni-2.jpg

• Daniel Mounsey, Erik Bakker, payner and 12 others like this

#229 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:57 PM

Very nice setup there.  waytogo.gif

• rkelley8493 likes this

#230 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:43 AM

Just wanted to post an updated on how the new setup has been working out. I'm really starting to fall in love with the flexibility of having a lightweight rig that I can move around the yard without having the break anything down. It used to be that I could only setup down by the lake facing west OR on my back porch facing east. Now, I can setup out front to catch Venus after sunset, move to the side of my house away from the porch & street lights to see Orion and the Milky Way in Canis Major, then finish up out back with some Deep Sky observing in Leo, Virgo, & Ursa Major. 

Also, it used to be an "all or nothing" night of observing, no in between. Although 12-15 minutes to setup doesn't sound like much, lugging around counterweights, a power supply, heavyweight scopes, and that beast of a mount sumo.gif it's a lot of work! Point is, it's only worth it when the sky is going to be clear all night [or at least from 6:00p-12:00a]. Now, I've got a "partly cloudy" rig  lol.gif . Just move it to where the clouds aren't in the way. And if the clouds ruin the evening, it's no big deal bc I haven't broken a sweat. Even though it's a step down in aperture, I'd rather have a few minutes of stargazing with a smaller scope that's easy to setup/move around than be frustrated from setting up a heavyweight for only a few minutes. Really a "glass is half full/half empty" sort of scenario. 

IMG_20200318_191714.jpg

• coopman, Erik Bakker, payner and 8 others like this

#231 25585

Cosmos

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:48 AM

Sums up what grab'n'go is all about.  And you have one of the nicest set-ups for that. waytogo.gif  

• rkelley8493 likes this

#232 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

Really nice system you have there. Great to hear how your getting to use it.

Talk about clouds (and rain). Heavy rain yesterday, heavier today and t-storms with tornado watch through tonight. Foggy now.

Clear skies,

• rkelley8493 likes this

#233 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

That is a great setup, rkelley.
  • rkelley8493 likes this

#234 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

Just wanted to post an updated on how the new setup has been working out. I'm really starting to fall in love with the flexibility of having a lightweight rig that I can move around the yard without having the break anything down. It used to be that I could only setup down by the lake facing west OR on my back porch facing east. Now, I can setup out front to catch Venus after sunset, move to the side of my house away from the porch & street lights to see Orion and the Milky Way in Canis Major, then finish up out back with some Deep Sky observing in Leo, Virgo, & Ursa Major. 

Also, it used to be an "all or nothing" night of observing, no in between. Although 12-15 minutes to setup doesn't sound like much, lugging around counterweights, a power supply, heavyweight scopes, and that beast of a mount sumo.gif it's a lot of work! Point is, it's only worth it when the sky is going to be clear all night [or at least from 6:00p-12:00a]. Now, I've got a "partly cloudy" rig  lol.gif . Just move it to where the clouds aren't in the way. And if the clouds ruin the evening, it's no big deal bc I haven't broken a sweat. Even though it's a step down in aperture, I'd rather have a few minutes of stargazing with a smaller scope that's easy to setup/move around than be frustrated from setting up a heavyweight for only a few minutes. Really a "glass is half full/half empty" sort of scenario. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20200318_191714.jpg

Now all you need is to install the internal encoders from Astro Devices and buy a Nexus DSC. You will find your targets easier and also be able to figure out what you are looking at at the mount instead of guessing. Works with SkySafari too. This upgrade will double the cost of the Stellarvue M2C but you really have no idea what you're missing. The Nexus DSC is fantastic!   

• tegea, 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#235 tegea

tegea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:10 PM

Now all you need is to install the internal encoders from Astro Devices and buy a Nexus DSC. You will find your targets easier and also be able to figure out what you are looking at at the mount instead of guessing. Works with SkySafari too. This upgrade will double the cost of the Stellarvue M2C but you really have no idea what you're missing. The Nexus DSC is fantastic!   

I second what YAOG says : The Nexus DSC is a great investment and goes extremely well with the FC100, I saw with the FC100 a lot of objects that I would never have seen without the Nexus.

FC100DF-AYO-II-2.jpg

• Paul G, Erik Bakker, plyscope and 4 others like this

#236 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

I second what YAOG says : The Nexus DSC is a great investment and goes extremely well with the FC100, I saw with the FC100 a lot of objects that I would never have seen without the Nexus.

FC100DF-AYO-II-2.jpg

Nice mount!

• rkelley8493 likes this

#237 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

I got SkySafari Pro on my phone a few months ago. I haven't done the "Control Mount/Scope" feature yet, but it has made star hopping very easy. The star fields and colors are much more accurate than Stellarium. Not dogging Stellarium in any way. It's a very good program, but it doesn't show most of the faint stars and "mini asterisms" that are visible when you are star hopping. 

Anyhow, I've gotten pretty familiar with the locations of many DSO's. Even when using a go-to mount, I still got a pretty good idea of where I should be looking to find most objects, their sizes, brightness, and other general knowledge that helps when it comes to locating them without an aid. It's also rewarding when you locate an object for the first time without cheating lol.gif  And I've discovered star fields and other interesting sights that I would've missed when using go-to. It adds an another dimension to visual observing.

Edited by rkelley8493, 19 March 2020 - 03:53 PM.

#238 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Here's a look at the full setup.. I don't think I've posted a photo of the whole package on this thread yet.

Takahashi FC-100DF, Feather Touch MPA-2.5 focuser, Stellarvue M2C Mount, & Berlebach Uni 18 Tripod

attachicon.giftak-df & berlebach uni-1.jpg

attachicon.giftak-df & berlebach uni-2.jpg

Is that the Stellarview pier? How do you get it to attach to the tripod, adapter needed?

#239 25585

Cosmos

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

I got SkySafari Pro on my phone a few months ago. I haven't done the "Control Mount/Scope" feature yet, but it has made star hopping very easy. The star fields and colors are much more accurate than Stellarium. Not dogging Stellarium in any way. It's a very good program, but it doesn't show most of the faint stars and "mini asterisms" that are visible when you are star hopping. 

Anyhow, I've gotten pretty familiar with the locations of many DSO's. Even when using a go-to mount, I still got a pretty good idea of where I should be looking to find most objects, their sizes, brightness, and other general knowledge that helps when it comes to locating them without an aid. It's also rewarding when you locate an object for the first time without cheating lol.gif  And I've discovered star fields and other interesting sights that I would've missed when using go-to. It adds an another dimension to visual observing.

What settings are you using? I have stars mag 8, some names, DSOs and photographic. Don't like the all red filter, I just dim screen brightness.

#240 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

Is that the Stellarview pier? How do you get it to attach to the tripod, adapter needed?

Yea, it's the Stellarvue MEC012 column [12mm thread] and Berlebach Uni 18 with CGEM base [12mm bolt]. No adapters needed. They were made for each other ubetcha.gif

There's a few other combinations you could use, like the 3/8-16 attachment bolt. Berlebach makes different style bases for different style mounts, and Stellarvue makes different style columns to fit those bases. Quoted from SV website:

Use this column to attach the M2C to a tripod with a 3/8-16 attachment bolt (such as Manfrotto and Berlebach). Like the M2C, this column is made in the USA of 6061-t6 aluminum. The M2C mount head bolts to the top of the column with three side screws. This eliminates rotation between the mount and column.

Edited by rkelley8493, 19 March 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• pickle8888 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics