•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Talk me into or out of the Takahashi FC100-DF

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#51 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:25 AM

one thing I have trouble with.
takahashi does FC's, FS's, DL's, TSA's, etc. ouffff, for someone who starts it is cryingonfusing.

TSA120 is a 120mm aperture triplet, only that model made now.

FCs are all doublets of 60, 75 & 100mm apertures, and varying focal lengths.

DC, DF are suffixes to the FC-100mm models of 750mm length.

DL is for the 900mm length model.

DZ is for the 800mm model, replacing the 3 described above.

FS are old doublet models of various sizes no longer made. TSA-102mm triplets are no longer made.

• alpha_centauri, Defenderslideguitar, rkelley8493 and 1 other like this

#52 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

TSA120 is a 120mm aperture triplet, only that model made now.

FCs are all doublets of 60, 75 & 100mm apertures, and varying focal lengths.

DC, DF are suffixes to the FC-100mm models of 750mm length.

DL is for the 900mm length model.

DZ is for the 800mm model, replacing the 3 described above.

FS are old doublet models of various sizes no longer made. TSA-102mm triplets are no longer made.

thanks for your answer, I think I'm starting to have the Takitis lol

Edited by sunnyday, 12 January 2020 - 12:08 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar, 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#53 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

The fact that you started this thread means that the bug has struck and you are infected with Takitis. There is no known cure.

Edited by coopman, 12 January 2020 - 11:38 AM.

• Tyson M, Defenderslideguitar, 25585 and 2 others like this

#54 25585

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

The fact that you started this thread means that the bug has struck and you are infected with Takitis. There is no known cure.

Doublitis, Fluoriditis, Double-ED-itis, Japan-fanism can also bring on Takitis. 

As can hearsay, reading reviews.... 

• rkelley8493 likes this

#55 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Troy, Alabama

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Would y'all recommend getting the Takahashi clam shell ring to go with it or a set of hinged rings?

• mikeDnight likes this

#56 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

Is your M10" f/10 SCT deforked? 

Easier access makes for more frequent use of astro gear. Put packability, compactness, and lightweight on your list of things to consider and the smaller faster doublets will rise up the list. 

As much as I really want an FOA60 the small objective is limiting if you will have moderately dark skies available. The SVA130 requires the larger Atlas mount, you cannot get away with an all up mount weight of 30 pounds, they are too unstable at the heights needed to use an eyepiece comfortably. 

So in a Takahashi the only realistic choices if buying a new scope will be the FC-100DF or optional lighter weight FC-100DC and the FC-76DS or much lighter smaller tubed and smaller focuser FC-76DCU. If you have not seen an FC-76DS and FC-76DCU I want to emphasize the difference and compact presence of the DCU whan side by side with a DS. The FC-76DCU is probably the ultimate compromise between overall cubic dimensions and objective quality in a compact sub-100mm class doublet. Compared to the latest FC-100DZ the FC-76DCU is half the weight, over 4" shorted than a collapsed FC-100DZ AND half the price of a new bare tube DZ. If this doesn't convince you nothing will. 

• alpha_centauri and rkelley8493 like this

#57 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

Is your M10" f/10 SCT deforked? 

Yes. I liked the Orion go-to system & mount much better than the LX90 fork mount, so I deforked the tube and sold the mount. The Atlas is much quieter, reliable, and more accurate.

Edited by rkelley8493, 12 January 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#58 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

I like the clamshell a lot. Holds the scope very securely and adjustments or removing the scope only takes one thumbscrew. The only reason I have heard for getting scope rings instead is if you want to have to turn two screws to adjust the scope because you want the extra security of a second screw. But I've never felt the scope to be at all insecure in the clamshell and it allows a wider range of adjustment than scope rings if you are balancing heavy eyepieces, since the clam shell is narrower than a set of scope rings.
  • Daniel Mounsey, Doug Culbertson, waso29 and 3 others like this

#59 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

For weight saving I prefer the somewhat hard to get K-Astec rings from Kyoei-Osaka. Its easy to carry by pointing ota downwards and grab between rings. 

Attached Thumbnails

• FC100dM1V.jpg

• ewave and rkelley8493 like this

#60 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

What size would they need to be?

#61 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

95mm. Here's a CN link: https://www.cloudyni...older-or-rings/

• rkelley8493 likes this

#62 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

95mm. Here's a CN link: https://www.cloudyni...older-or-rings/

Thanks!

#63 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Would y'all recommend getting the Takahashi clam shell ring to go with it or a set of hinged rings?

Clam is better for balancing. Mine all have clams.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 12 January 2020 - 02:13 PM.

• John Huntley, turtle86, waso29 and 3 others like this

#64 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

Clam is better for balancing. Mine all have clams.

Daniel, I saw a couple of your videos regarding the FC-100D models. In this video [https://www.youtube....h?v=_0L6umpSv8Y], you stated that the DF has the same diameter as the Sky 90 & Baby Q scopes. Is it safe to assume that the clamshell & hinged rings that fit those two would also fit the FC-100DF? 

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#65 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

That's correct. 95mm.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#66 25585

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

Hinged rings. Much nicer to look at and more versatile.   

• rkelley8493 likes this

#67 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

That's correct. 95mm.

Thanks man! waytogo.gif 

I think I'm leaning towards the hinged rings.. personal preference 

#68 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

I've been considering getting another scope, mainly just wishful thinking, but with tax season right around the corner, I may turn this dream into reality. The Takahashi FC100-DF looks like a great value for a quality piece of equipment. I've been curious to try out a Fluorite refractor and join Club Tak. However, I already own a 130 f/7 ED triplet...

I've been browsing the Refractors Forum for a few weeks and see that most of you aficionados own multiple refractors. So what do y'all think? Would it be worth the investment, or should I hold off for something better down the road? How is the performance of the FC100 series? 

Go for it!  I have a fabulous AP 130 GT, but like your own 130 f/7 ED triplet, it’s hardly a grab and go, so I came to realize that it would be nice to have a 4” apo that I could quickly deploy on week nights when I might be too tired for lugging out the AP.  My own choice was the NP 101, but the Tak FC 100-DF was definitely on my radar too.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#69 25585

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:29 PM

I like the clamshell a lot. Holds the scope very securely and adjustments or removing the scope only takes one thumbscrew. The only reason I have heard for getting scope rings instead is if you want to have to turn two screws to adjust the scope because you want the extra security of a second screw. But I've never felt the scope to be at all insecure in the clamshell and it allows a wider range of adjustment than scope rings if you are balancing heavy eyepieces, since the clam shell is narrower than a set of scope rings.

One of the 2 main reasons I chose rings is because of having a thumbscrew for each ring, more me-proof, in the dark, at night.

I have found using heavier eyepieces such as my ES92s & long FL ones, that a ring just in front of the focuser and another one or two towards the lens end, help keep my OTA rigidly secured on its bar.

A DF or DC being shorter than my DL & other 900mm refractors may be worse with a clamshell, as less counterbalance for heavy eyepieces from the lens end due to a shorter tube.  

Takahashi design their accessories around their own eyepieces, none of which are that heavy, though their own larger refractors do have twin thumblock clamshells, or separate rings.     

• rkelley8493 likes this

#70 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Late to the thread...

I can only comment on two refractors: a Takahashi FS 152 f/8 doublet and a APM/TMB 152 f/8 triplet. I owned both of the very excellent refractors. Each one was similar in cost but the APM/TMB won out due to better resolution.

If I were to but another refractor - it would be another triplet from a well known lens grinder.

Edited by MikiSJ, 12 January 2020 - 08:53 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#71 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

I think for a visual observer the classic Takahashi clamshells are an elegant solution to managing minor scope rebalancing and direct mounting on Takahashi mounts. I prefer the simple lines and minimalist design of the traditional Takahashi one piece clamshells. The Takahashi clamshells just look right, a universally accepted design and engineering concept. To continue the idea IMO there is no need for the oversized flat on top of the clamshell either because the Takahashi focusers all have cast in flats for a finder bracket or bases if needed. 

If you actually need a place to mount a dovetail for accessories like an autoguider or piggy back camera then hinged rings are better suited versatile and much stiffer option. For those using Losmandy dovetails the Losmandy Takahashi support ring is a typically intelligent Losmandy solution to an unusual tube mount base and allows using longer dovetails which can be moved forward and back to rebalance the scope which is how many people, myself included rebalance a scope in the saddle with rings.  

Edited by YAOG, 13 January 2020 - 12:06 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, 3 i Guy, payner and 4 others like this

#72 25585

Cosmos

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

I think for a visual scope the classic Takahashi clamshells are an elegant solution to managing minor scope rebalancing and direct mounting on Takahashi mounts. I prefer the simple lines and minimalist design of the traditional Takahashi one piece clamshells. The Takahashi clamshells just look right, a universally accepted design concept. To continue the idea IMO there is no need for the oversized flat on top of the clamshell either because the Takahashi focusers all have cast in flats for a finder bracket or bases if needed. If you actually need a place to mount a dovetail for accessories like an autoguider or piggy back camera then hinged rings are a better option. For those using Losmandy dovetails the Losmandy Takahashi support ring is a typically intelligent Losmandy solution to an unusual tube mount which allows using longer dovetails which can be moved forward and back to rebalance the scope which is how many people, myself included rebalance a scope in the saddle with rings.  

Elegant Tak clamshells are not! My household plumbing has nicer neater pipe clamps, even for outside!

I mount my finder scope rings on top of 2 of its OTA rings, joined by a short bar.

But the single thumbscrew lock is my main dislike. Just as when we fly or motor sport or go on a roller coaster, we wear multi-fastening & securing harness or frames due to extreme angles & motion, so telescopes need more than a single fastener for security when moving their tubes in rings, however broad, or changing eyepieces/accessories at steep angles.

Tak OTAs are so beautifully elegant, they need securer and slimmer rings to compliment their appearance and protect them from the pull of gravity.

Edited by 25585, 13 January 2020 - 08:31 AM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#73 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To my eyes the Tak clamshell is elegant and its the scope rings that seem clunky.

The single thumscrew is what I like about it since it makes adjustments quick and easy.

I used to rock climb in my younger days so I am used to redundant safety systems. But I also used to whitewater kayak over big waterfalls where there aren't any safety harnesses. And the risk to gear is different than a risk of death. Gear can be replaced.

The risk of damaging a scope from using a clamshell seems really low. The FC series telescopes are light weight and the mount moves slowly, not fast like a rollercoaster. So it's not subjected to the same types of forces.

The Tak clamshells are widely used and I've never heard of an incident where a telescope has fallen out of one.

I think it's just personal preference. Some people want the feeling of security from a second thumbscrew and others want the convenience of a single thumbscrew.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 13 January 2020 - 09:34 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, 3 i Guy, moshen and 7 others like this

#74 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

Would the clam shell be necessary for mounting the scope to the TeleVue Gibraltar HD4 mount?

Edited by rkelley8493, 13 January 2020 - 10:54 AM.

#75 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Buy a Dob...

funnypost.gif  I am so happy there are Dobs in the world as they provide an endless source of entertaining humor lol.gif 

• Scott Beith, eros312, mikeDnight and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics