•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade SN 10 Schmidt Newtonian ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 petershiverick

petershiverick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: idaho

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Does anyone know if the SN 10 made by meade years ago is a valued scope? I have heard from some that it’s a toss up but more importantly I think that responses are from I am aware of are not from actual users or owners.  
Any help out there

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:15 PM

I have read from many owners of the SN10 that the optics are very good. I don't think too many bad ones left the factory, almost every reviews that I have read has been positive and favourable. Just a caveat though, if you buy one make sure that you have a substantial mount for it. Do not try to go for a unsized mount or you will regret it. Also,the original focuser was cheasy, if you can replace it with something similar to a Feather touch with dual speed focusing!

Good luck and clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• UT_JimW likes this

#3 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Sputnik

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

It depends on the cost, it's condition, if it came with an adequate mount or you had one for it, and what your intended use is.

Some of the bad rap it got was that it was originally sold on a mount that was only marginally sufficient for it. 

I bought a used SN8 last fall that a person had converted to a unique Dobson style oak mount on top of a short tripod.  It's actually a very nice setup, although heavy, and I unfortunately developed back trouble shortly afterwards.  It my limited use to date, I've been quite impressed with both the mount and the scope.  The focuser was updated to a Moonlight - the original is pretty cheesy.  Part of my planned use is with a night vision monocular to go after dim nebula and dark sky items.  The faster f ratio with corrected optics is a plus there.  Reports are that they gave good planetary views as well.

If you want portability and all around use, a similar aperture SCT might be better.

And if price was no option, an apo refractor is a wonderful instrument.

It could be converted to a Dobson style mount easily if you didn't have a mount.  Mine just has 2 tube rings with baltic ply discs.  I picked up a basic second SN8 OTA after with the thought that I might try making a bino scope someday.

As with all used scopes, a visual test is best, as I am sure there is some variation with mirror quality.  Collimation should be on spot and can be a little more effort than some scopes, but there is a thread somewhere for these scopes.  Mine seems to have been on good when I got it, and hasn't seemed to shift much, so I haven't messed with it (particularly for my current use - may require finer adjustment if I use for planetary later this year)

If the price was right and it was in good condition I'd certainly be interested.  Do a search on this site to see what past one's have sold for if you are interested and need to gauge price.

Good luck.

Jim

#4 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Sputnik

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:18 PM

RalphMeister - your post came through while typing mine.  Funny we both came up with the same descriptor for the focuser!

#5 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Viking 1

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

They have great optics, that's why I love mine but aren't super valuable.

Edited by iwannabswiss, 11 January 2020 - 04:26 PM.

• ShaulaB and UT_JimW like this

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

It is a decent OTA however their are a few things to know/condiser

~ Focuser as described in previous posts is ridiculously poor and needs changing for AP use and even recommended for visual use also.

~ The OTA is heavy and needs an EQ6 (min) for visual, probably something a little higher capacity for AP

~ Being a SN, it's cooling time is excessive and times of 2 hrs are not uncommon.

~ Collimation is a little more critical as it's an F4 OTA.

That being said it does do as it should and I found the 10" version wonderful once I swapped the Focuser for a ML.

• UT_JimW likes this

#7 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

I’ve got an SN-10 mounted on a Celestron CGEM that I hypertuned myself a year ago or so.
When properly collimated, it’s a great scope. The optics can be tricky to collimate, and I found that a Hotech laser collimator is almost a necessity.

I use the scope for AP.

Here’s a photo of M31 taken a few months ago using my D810a camera.

(Keep in mind this is a much lower resolution image than the original photo.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1FA8EA80-F6B4-4D3C-A81E-7B73A392C5FB.jpeg

Edited by KLWalsh, 16 January 2020 - 09:26 PM.

• Starman27 and Kegan128 like this

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

I have a LARGE kitchen island. Only thing that had enough surface to collimate one of these things and to think they were sold on the LXD75! I'd say an Atlas/CGEM was a minimum mount for AP.

#9 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Messenger

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

I have a Meade 10 in SN ...was mounted on the LXD55 goto mount ...and ALUMINUM TRIPOD ...

Disaster... the mount weak,  the tripod, very weak.  Yet the optics I feel ,  as very good ...with as mentioned  earlier , has a drawback... a cheap focuser...

I decided to remount the Meade SN on a Celestron GEM that previously held my Celestron C8... much sturdier mount. that was one improvement .....and in turn, remounted the C8 on the LXD55  mount...

Then an upgrade to a solid hardwood tripod ... now it's very functional.   A joy to look through. And I take it about anywhere..

• In April at NEAF I will look for a Crayford type focuser for my last upgrade.

Side note:

I did have this mounted on my pier in my observatory,   before  acquiring my Celestron C11,  and to tell the truth, I should have kept it there on the  Celestron GEM... I prefer this scope that much...

The C11 is heavy, and I have yet to get used to the wedge/fork mount .

Stevegeo Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny. 

#10 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

I love mine. It is a fantastic scope, though it is a bit of a beast. The stock focuser is functional, but I upgraded mine with a Moonlite.

My baby...

SN10 ZWO ASI071MC (v1).jpg

The Atlas handles it fine, though I wouldn't want to use it on anything lighter for imaging.

#11 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

Speaking of the C11, I recently added one as well. It actually weighs about the same as the SN10. The SN10 is my deepsky champion, but the C11 will be used for high resolution imaging.

My C11 on the Atlas...

Atlas C11 (1-1-2020)-1.jpg

Note that the counter weight are in about the same place as with my SN10.

Edited by jgraham, 17 January 2020 - 09:45 PM.

• NVDW likes this

#12 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

An example image take with my SN10...

M20 (6-1-2017)-2j.jpg

M20 – The Trifid Nebula Sagittarius
Telescope: Meade SN10 at f/4, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: ZWO ASI071MC, Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Sensor Temperature: 0C, Gain: 300, Offset: 50
Guide scope: Williams Optics 50mm, Meade DSI Pro II, PHD
Exposure: 38x120sec saved as FITS, dithered every frame, R.A. only
Darks: 32x120sec saved as FITS
Flats: 32x2sec, LED tracing tablet
Average Light Pollution: Red zone, fair transparency, first quarter moon
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 18.2 mag/arc-sec^2
Stacking: Mean with a 2-sigma clip.
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Nebulosity, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics