•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repairs to Meade out of warranty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Looking for direction on what to do with my lx850 mount.  There is too much slop in mount. The Ora shakes in the slightest breeze making it useless for astrophotography.  Also I fear the RA and Dec drives need repair or adjustment.

#2 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca.

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

Sounds like new gears need to be made for it, or.....just needs some TLC and adjustment. 

You wont know till you (or someone else) opens it up for a look-see.

Back when I was a fledgling mechanic, I figured I cant do any more damage to something if I took it apart myself and had a look, because if it is not repairable, its going in the circle file anyway.

This is how fledgling mechanics become better mechanics because they tried.

Now that I am a much better mechanic, I sell stuff like this on ebay, as broken, then go out and buy a new and improved piece.

Gotta love experience...

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

Looking for direction on what to do with my lx850 mount.  There is too much slop in mount. The Ora shakes in the slightest breeze making it useless for astrophotography.  Also I fear the RA and Dec drives need repair or adjustment.

Take inspection covers off and look at the gearing.  I'm sure SpacetravelerX will chime in on what to specifically check for.  Likely you need a minor adjustement here or there, not brain surgery. 

#4 Eagle Butte Observatory

Eagle Butte Observatory

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 49° 56' 39.84" N & 110° 34' 29.06" W

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Big thank you to the two who responded. It is encouraging and I will open the drives up to take a look!

#5 balotin

balotin

Lift Off

• ****-

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:42 AM

What did you find was causing the problem?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics