•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mewlon 180 finder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:24 AM

I have been thinking about the Mewlon 180C a lot. I'm not sure it would be an upgrade over my Celestron Edge 8. But I read a review and the author said that the 6x30 finder's position requires the user to rotate the diagonal out of the way to use it. This seems like an annoying thing to have to do. If I get one I would use my Badder 1.25" prism diagonal. Is this just an issue with a 2" diagonal which is taller?

#2 salico

salico

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

I think, this issue would also appear with the 1.25" prism, though I only use a 2" diagonal. I find it not so problematic.

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

I use a right angle finder on my Mewlon 180C and it really helps not having to twist my old body in uncomfortable ways.. See this previous CN thread:

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry9390332

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

I have seen those and they are pricy. Twenty years ago I completely rejected right angle finders. I found they made the telescope much harder to aim. I still find that to be true but my knees tell me that compromises are in order.  

#5 salico

salico

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

I also use a Rigel Quickfinder on the M180C

#6 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

I have seen those and they are pricy. Twenty years ago I completely rejected right angle finders. I found they made the telescope much harder to aim. I still find that to be true but my knees tell me that compromises are in order.  

Why is the scope harder to aim using a RACI finder?  I use them on all my scopes and they work great for star hopping to targets.  Maybe you didn't align them right?  Straight thru finders are a pain to use once you get above 30 degrees above the horizon.  Ask my lower back.

Bill

#7 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

I’ve got u180c and with fixed 12 o’clock of finder thought ‘better’ solution to rotate diagonal (although just a few inch offset if leave eyepiece vertical). As FYI i never got 2” diagonal with my large Nagler or Ethos eyepieces to reach focus. Had to directly plug the 2” eyepieces in back w/o diagonal (so  not pleasant arrangement when at 45+ degrees). Far better luck on 1.25” diagonals with basic Televue Plossls. I started off with basic arrangement (angled the 1.25” diagonal) but got weary of mirror flop. Went to Moonlite CS and left u180c focuser at ‘out’ position. 

Dave
Dave’s tandem Taks
Tak M180c on A-P Mach1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics