•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Do You Store Your OTA After A Night's Viewing?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Some people keep their OTA's affixed to the mount/tripod. Others prefer storing the OTA in a case.

What do you do with your OTA's? 

Mine remains affixed to the mount/tripod.

Of course room space might have something to do with your storage of the OTA.

Do you keep them in the house or garage?

Attached Thumbnails

• 12233s.jpg

Edited by sojourneyer, 12 January 2020 - 11:21 AM.

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Depends on the size of the scope. Some in-house, some in an unheated storage room, some on their mount, some not. It depends. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Hello Thomas,

You must have quite a few OTA's.

#4 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

I never box my scope away after observing, as there's a chance of preventing moisture evaporation. Instead, I leave my FC100DC on an AZ4 which allows it to dry thoroughly. Similarly, I always check there's no misting of the lens before capping the dew shield. If there is moisture present, I leave the scope uncapped at both ends over night.

When I had larger FS128 & FS152 refractors, I would leave them laid flat on cushions over night to dry out, as sometimes they would be dripping wet or even frozen. I never had any issues with fungal growth or misting between the elements. 

• Gary Z, 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Mine stay on their mounts covered. I make sure they're dry before I bring them in or cover them. At this point there's so many tripods  in my family room it looks like I'm under attack from Mars! David

Edited by dscarpa, 12 January 2020 - 11:50 AM.

#6 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

Mine stay on their mounts covered. I make sure they're dry before I bring them in or cover them. At this point there's so many tripods  in my family room it looks like I'm under attack from Mars! David

Like the invaders from War of the Worlds!

Attached Thumbnails

• war.jpg

Edited by sojourneyer, 12 January 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

I bring my scope inside the house and place it inside its case after an observing session.  I leave the case open and the dust cap off until everything has dried off, then cap it, and close the case until my next session.

I have a lot of money tied up in my gear and treat it as well as possible.

Cheers,

Ron

• Phil Cowell, mikeDnight and 25585 like this

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Since I have an observatory, the current OTA is left in place, covered by fabric.

Others are stored (as was previously done with the current OTA), in either hard or soft cases inside the house.

For any number of reasons I've never been a fan of moving things while assembled.

#9 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

If you currently don't have any dew/frost protection and your gear gets frosted up, point your scope downward if you can.  

We all have had that experience where our excitement for viewing gets in the way and before we know it, our equipment gets dew and frost on it.

By pointing the scope downward, the dew/frost dissipates faster and also if considerable dew/frost builds up, none of this is going back into the telescope.

After you get inside, don't put away, let sit and get acclimated to being back inside, and inspect your gear rather thoroughly before putting away in its case.

If you are at a dark site away from the house and you place the scope, leave the cap off and adjust your heating/air to a mid level so as to not be hot or cold, 

and put on high....Travel back this way so that when you reach your home, you can put away (after you inspect of course).

Good news is smaller scopes don't dew up as optics with larger lenses.  Do pay attention to what your humidity and dew point will be for the evening and plan 

for what is to come.  Here in Eastern NM, I don't have to worry about this as much, but still pay attention to what the weather conditions are expected to be.

• sojourneyer likes this

#10 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

Off the mount laid flat, cap off, dewshield retracted where applicable,  but I do plug the eyepiece end to stop dust & creepy crawlies going inside.

• RAKing likes this

#11 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Depends on the night. If all is dry, in its soft case, if all is frosted or dewed, blow dryer before bringing in. Let sit 15 minutes and check it out, then back to its case. 

#12 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

and the telescope said to Popeye.. "Well, blow me down"

Attached Thumbnails

• popeye.jpg

• rkelley8493 likes this

#13 groupoid

groupoid

Explorer 1

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

I bring it inside my apartment and make sure that as many glass surfaces as possible are exposed to the air. Whenever it is very cold outside, my apartment gets very dry, so there are not too many concerns.

#14 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Indoors, off the mount, wrapped in a blanket (which prevents further condensation onto the usually already wet ota). I cap the optics before bringing it in.

• Paul Schroeder likes this

#15 bigjy989

bigjy989

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saline, MI

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

The TEC stays on the mount in the garage.  The others go into a plastic bag before coming into the house to limit condensation, removed from the bag an later hour once temperatures equalize.

#16 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

I have always kept my mount/OTA in place on my patio. When I had a large refractor on a ME mount, I asked Telegizmos to make a custom cover - they did and it was really well made. So, when I got my new C11/CGX it was a no brainer for me to buy a Telegizmos C11 specific cover. 

#17 nato

nato

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

I use to leave my 4" F 15 Edmund Scientific  Refractor set up on the mount in a heated building next to the pool at my house. Three years ago I was able to purchase a bag designed for snowboards that just fits the tube assembly , now I check for moisture on the lens before putting a cap on the end and putting it in the bag. The tripod and head remain set up.The newer larger Orion Finder I have on the scope is removeable when the scope is bagged. Nate Goodman (Nato).

#18 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

Refractor collection 4 19

waytogo.gif

Jmd 

#19 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

Two trips.

1. I bring in my mount computer, and store it on a swiveling stand I made for my old laptop on my L-desk.

2. I remove my telescope assembly (guide scope, cameras, laser, Red Dot sight, focuser, USB hub, Et Al.) at the Vixen clamp, and bring the telescope in to acclimate to my house in my "Man-Cave". If it is dry, capped up.

The mount, from the clamp down, gets covered with a round waterproof canvas cover and a 32 gallon dome. And there it lives, Polar Aligned, for the next night or when it is clear again.

I'll be getting my new mount next month.

#20 Sonya6500

Sonya6500

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bluffton , South Carolina

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

If there is a long stretch of moist air coming, I bring my astrotech in  from the garage to air-conditioned house  as it is super dry. The mount stays in the garage. Once the scope is dry, I put it in the largest plastic Craftsman toolbox they sell and shut the rubber sealed lid tight. It then goes back to the garage so it is always acclimatised and ready to be mounted  . They do sell boxes of moisture absorbers that can be redried in an oven when they turn blue. I might buy some to prevent mold.

#21 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

I bring in the optics with the cap off and lens covered with breathable cloth to allow moisture evaporate.

Jmd

waytogo.gif

Jmd

#22 Chilihead

Chilihead

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Mine stay on their mounts in the garage, covered. I always have minimal acclimation before I can begin viewing.

Of course that relegates the car to the driveway, but it's not a big deal. 

#23 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

I close the roof on my observatory and it goes night-night.

Along with about 9 other scopes and 4 other mounts.

flowerred.gif

Very best,

• SonnyE likes this

#24 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I follow Astro-Physics advice and then I open the case and remove the lens cap the following morning to let any moisture evaporate:

“There are steps you can take to minimize thermal shock. Leaving the scope in an unheated garage, instead of the warm indoors, is a good example. You should leave the dewcap in place (retracted/reversed) for the 1st hour. This will act as insulation around the outside of the lens cell, thus assuring a more even cool down of the glass. You do not want to carry a scope from a 70° house into a 0° winter night.
We suggest that you leave your case outdoors while you are observing. This will assure that your scope and case will be about the same temperature at the end of the evening. If there is a lot of dew, you may wish to place it under an overhang, in your car or cover it to keep it dry. To prevent moisture from accumulating inside the case, keep the lid closed.
When taking the scope down, cover the lens with the dustcover while the lens is still cold. Place the tube assembly in the case while you are still outdoors. If you do this, the scope will warm up gradually in the case when you take it indoors. Do not take the tube assembly indoors without the case. A tremendous dewing and moisture buildup will occur just as it does on eyeglasses when you step into the house on a cold day. Alternatively, you can wrap the scope in a blanket so that it warms slowly and moisture does not condense.
Remember, thermal shock is to be avoided...whether it is hot to cold or cold to hot.”

Edited by Jeff Gardner, 15 January 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#25 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

I follow Astro-Physics advice and then I open the case and remove the lens cap the following morning to let any moisture evaporate:

“There are steps you can take to minimize thermal shock. Leaving the scope in an unheated garage, instead of the warm indoors, is a good example. You should leave the dewcap in place (retracted/reversed) for the 1st hour. This will act as insulation around the outside of the lens cell, thus assuring a more even cool down of the glass. You do not want to carry a scope from a 70° house into a 0° winter night.
We suggest that you leave your case outdoors while you are observing. This will assure that your scope and case will be about the same temperature at the end of the evening. If there is a lot of dew, you may wish to place it under an overhang, in your car or cover it to keep it dry. To prevent moisture from accumulating inside the case, keep the lid closed.
When taking the scope down, cover the lens with the dustcover while the lens is still cold. Place the tube assembly in the case while you are still outdoors. If you do this, the scope will warm up gradually in the case when you take it indoors. Do not take the tube assembly indoors without the case. A tremendous dewing and moisture buildup will occur just as it does on eyeglasses when you step into the house on a cold day. Alternatively, you can wrap the scope in a blanket so that it warms slowly and moisture does not condense.
Remember, thermal shock is to be avoided...whether it is hot to cold or cold to hot.”

I also follow AP's advice and I have added a Bluetooth enabled thermometer inside the case so I know the temperature of the case + telescope as it warms up indoors without opening it up.

And like Jeff, after it is completely warmed up after about 12 hours, I uncap the scope to let any moisture dry out.

cytan

Edited by cytan299, 15 January 2020 - 11:45 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics