•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Do You Store Your OTA After A Night's Viewing?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

I cover it and leave it on the patio all setup, luckily I live in a dry place with low humidity. Best way to avoid thermal shock? Don't subject the scope to dramatic changes in environment. 

#27 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Explorer 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

Sits on the workbench until morning. Couple puffs from the rocket blower and back in the case. Both of my scopes are stored in the workshop. Cases protect them from all the goings on with wood, metal, plastics.....etc. Mounts are assembled in the shop and sit overnight as well. They stay assembled with covers top to bottom until the next session.

Attached Thumbnails

• A3BFD68A-F575-49CA-886D-92F57F349E72.jpeg

• SonnyE and Janco like this

#28 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Sits on the workbench until morning. Couple puffs from the rocket blower and back in the case. Both of my scopes are stored in the workshop. Cases protect them from all the goings on with wood, metal, plastics.....etc. Mounts are assembled in the shop and sit overnight as well. They stay assembled with covers top to bottom until the next session.

Very nice. It looks like Al's house from Home Improvement.

Attached Thumbnails

• asex.jpg

Edited by sojourneyer, 15 January 2020 - 05:53 PM.

#29 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

I keep my scopes attached to the mount/tripod in the house

They are covered by those plastic storage bags for clothing. It is perfect with the top and sides covered and the open part lies below the eyepiece trays.

Onebag.jpg cage.jpg scope is behind my Archie Bunker chair in the den and the other is on top of one of my dogs cages.

Edited by sojourneyer, 16 January 2020 - 05:32 PM.

#30 SonnyE

SonnyE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

It occurred to me that I store my telescope the same way after a cloudy night too....

#31 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

The refractor is so precious that the two or three times a year I use it, I put it back into its prissy carrying case.

For the 12" dob, I just put the covers on and roll it into the corner of my covered patio.   Yeah.. I like that.  Guess which one gets used the most.  

• Magnus Ahrling and laedco58 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics