•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photos from Bortle 1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kfox

kfox

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone have any images of the night sky from Bortle 1 that looks the most like you would see through your naked eye. I have always seen pictures that say they are from Bortle 1 or a dark sky but I never know if its exposed long or not or even if that's what it looks like with your eyes. One day I want to travel to a Bortle 1 location and I want a idea of what is looks like. Any help is appreciated, thanks! 

#2 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Try Easter Island , middle of Pacific  Ocean.. thousands of miles from nowhere .. 

Take pictures I hear they have big head statues there ...  lol 

Stevegeo  Area3751  observatory....

• kfox likes this

#3 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:02 AM

I don't think it's possible to take a photograph that faithfully depicts what the sky actually looks like. But on the whole, I would say that Akira Fujii's photos come closest. An internet search will find many.

#4 kfox

kfox

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

I don't think it's possible to take a photograph that faithfully depicts what the sky actually looks like. But on the whole, I would say that Akira Fujii's photos come closest. An internet search will find many.

Thank you! I figured you cant get exactly the same, our eyes and cameras are too different for that. I will check them out to get an idea, thank you!

#5 MEE

MEE

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:54 PM

https://www.davidmal...ujii_index.html - but in black and white; our eyes don’t see color at night very well (but see more below)

Just because you go to a Bortle Class 1 zone, doesn’t mean the sky will be Bortle Class 1 that night

Of course we assume clear skies, no moon, eyes fully dark adapted, that the location has no or minimal local light pollution The biggest variable is how transparent the air is: how much haze/ moisture/ smoke is in the air. If there isn’t too much of that, the sky has a decent chance of being Bortle 1

What to look for

Zodiacal light/ zodiacal band

Arguably the best indicator of Bortle 1 skies is the extension of the zodiacal band. If it’s favorably placed (and not blocked by the Milky Way) the zodiacal light will be an enormous cone-shaped glow of light, extending up from the horizon. The zodiacal band is a glow extending from the zodiacal light (following the ecliptic) If you can see the zodiacal band extending all the way to the opposite horizon, then you likely have Bortle Class 1 conditions.

The gegenschein is a brighter section of the zodiacal band: it appears as an oval shaped glow. It will be easily visible under Bortle 1 conditions

Milky Way

The Milky Way is seen under Class 1 skies as a glowing, broad river of light, extending from one horizon to the other (assuming it’s up above the horizon). The dark lanes running through it stand out in high contrast. In lesser conditions, the Milky Way has a washed out, low contrast appearance

Here’s a recent post: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/659977-the-milky-way-at-tsp-at-22-mpsas

Colors

Note the reference to the bluish appearance of the Milky Way in the above post. In Bortle 1 skies, you’ll see the color difference between the bluish tint of the Milky Way and the yellowish of the zodiacal light

Please post a report if you go - but report what you actually see: don’t just say the sky was Class 1, just because you went to a black zone location

Edited by MEE, 14 January 2020 - 10:58 PM.

• kfox likes this

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

I tried to send you a perfect, representative pic but I was told I couldn’t although I have posted many pics in the past on other forums and it does not appear to be the pic size as thats not the message I have gotten in the past. I find that posting pics on these forums to be very unfriendly at times ! The message I got was ...... You aren’t permitted to upload this kind of file ... even though I have loaded them in the past from my album files ?

Edited by LDW47, 15 January 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#7 griwei

griwei

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, Canada

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

Sadly, this was 2010 and I just started AP last October.  But I can definitely attest to the skies having been very, very dark!

DF5B57FC 32AD 4C62 9CB4 FEC04290105B
Album: Easter Island
3 images
1 comments

grin.gif

• kfox likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics