•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, get ready

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:45 AM

Mars is small currently range of 4.5 arc sec. Small for my 8 inch dob reflector, but monthly increases and nearing summer should be getting some good looks. 

Early checks a good idea as the polar cap believe is larger then before it reduces in size w/Martian summer.

Fall reaches max over 20 arc seconds, but beware least here in midwest plenty of overcast that time of year. 

I'll check it as early as March, polar cap suppose to be at a good angle thru the encounter! 

XT10

XT8 Dobs, XT8 USE THERMAL READY IN TRUNK..

• jodemur likes this

#2 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:08 AM

Summer best option, as checking my charts Mars low early mornings, also then it reaches half of max size, big enough for modest telescopes. 

Past experience it's a challenge for seeing detail, tho exceptional sky certainly gives rewarding views. 

Keeps increasing in size, unless your lucky with less overcast sky as Mars max around Oct, I've nearly  always had ton of cloudy sky then. 

Aug 02 AM SYRTIS MAYOR large feature well in View! Also Mars placed abit higher in sky. Planet Will Be a nice plus 14 arc seconds size !

Clear Sky!

Edited by phillip, 13 January 2020 - 01:16 AM.

#3 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

I'll be ready with 12.5" Lockwood Dob, 160mm TEC refractor and 11" Celestron SCT for video lucky imaging...

Dave

• aa6ww, aneeg and jodemur like this

#4 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:24 AM

You Certainly Are Ready!

Tho I'm into direct observation, with frequent checks, near steady sky can release some beautiful views. 

I did mention in older forums, at my work places parking lot. Had an amazing steady sky released unbelieveable detail. Fortunate to share with my co-workers! They asked for more magnification, and images were amazing over 400X with the modest 8 inch Dob. Surprised they caught it as it swept briefly in the narrow field, I edged it for full pass and was able to give over 30 second in the view. 

Really hope to repeat that one in coming encounter, Awesome! 

Edited by phillip, 14 January 2020 - 05:25 AM.

• EverlastingSky likes this

#5 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

I'm anxious for some good viewing conditions here which doesn't happen that often these days. Maybe summer will be better.

I replaced my 8" Dobs with an 10" Apertura recently.

Last year was full of dismal Mars views with Martian dust storms and atmospheric moisture here.

The old 8" had given me good, well detailed views in the past so I am very excited to collect first Martian light with the 10" light bucket.

#6 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:40 AM

I couldn't resist taking a look in the early a.m. a couple of days ago.  Unfortunately, it's not much to look at yet.

But I'm ready.  I'll be using the dob, Mak, and Mak + binoviewer combo to see which gives me the best views.

#7 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

I hope it isn't obscured by dust again during this opposition.  Since I'm near Houston it should be pretty high in the sky for me but the seeing and transparency can be sketchy.  At least this opposition will peak during Mars autumn so maybe the summer dust storms will have subsided by then.  I'll be using my ES 152mm triplet and Celestron Edge 14" mostly.

#8 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:22 AM

There's a chronology of the 2020 apparition of Mars posted at http://spider.seds.o...s/mars2020.html

• Illinois, Paul Morow, mbrio76 and 2 others like this

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

A comprehensive article on the 2020 apparition can be found at http://www.alpo-astr...h/2020_MARS.htm

• jodemur likes this

#10 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

I hope it isn't obscured by dust again during this opposition.  Since I'm near Houston it should be pretty high in the sky for me but the seeing and transparency can be sketchy.  At least this opposition will peak during Mars autumn so maybe the summer dust storms will have subsided by then.  I'll be using my ES 152mm triplet and Celestron Edge 14" mostly.

Observations of Mars indicate that major dust storms tend to be more frequent when Mars is closest to the Sun – during southern hemisphere spring and summer. While predicting these events is nearly impossible to make our studies show that the Martian dusty season should begin about the third week in July (241° Ls) throughout the first week in September 2018 (270° Ls). The highest probability of dust storms occurring will be on or about August 10, 2020 (255° Ls) and a sensitive area for the development of dust storms is in northwest Hellas.    Massive, planet-encircling storms usually occur in southern hemisphere summer and that will come by the middle of November (315° Ls).  Observers should be alert for dust clouds in the northeast Hellas Basin, the Serpentis-Noachis region, and the Solis Lacus region.

http://www.alpo-astr...h/2020_MARS.htm

I believe that 2018 in the above is a typo.

• jodemur and AJK 547 like this

#11 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:36 AM

Wow, I recall passed obscured views with Martian dust storms. Let's hope we get lucky on upcoming views. 

Looks will be abit low here at my northern location few miles south of Rockford Illinois.

However one of my best detail was with a steady sky with it not very high, sky was near hazy, but clear detail view was remarkable!

Takes Frequent checks as sky conditions vary. Also patient viewing with fleeting moments of clarity, perhaps upto several seconds flash a teasing masterpiece. I've even chased with continual focus movement during average to below average conditions for that brief Peek! Worth the Effort! 

Have a novice new in the game. Hope she catches a detail look. 

Clear Sky! 

#12 AlaskaIsCold

AlaskaIsCold

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

Ive been chasing leads on trying to grab a large SCT so that I can try and see Phobos and Demos this time around.

I hear its very difficult. but if I can get high enough in altitude and clear enough desert skies, I might even be able to get a photograph!

#13 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

Ive been chasing leads on trying to grab a large SCT so that I can try and see Phobos and Demos this time around.

I hear its very difficult. but if I can get high enough in altitude and clear enough desert skies, I might even be able to get a photograph!

Indeed a large SCT will pull in the dim moons but depending on Earth atmospheric conditions, I sometimes choose my refractor over my 14" because bad seeing is sort of magnified by larger aperture.

#14 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:23 AM

Observations of Mars indicate that major dust storms tend to be more frequent when Mars is closest to the Sun – during southern hemisphere spring and summer. While predicting these events is nearly impossible to make our studies show that the Martian dusty season should begin about the third week in July (241° Ls) throughout the first week in September 2018 (270° Ls). The highest probability of dust storms occurring will be on or about August 10, 2020 (255° Ls) and a sensitive area for the development of dust storms is in northwest Hellas.    Massive, planet-encircling storms usually occur in southern hemisphere summer and that will come by the middle of November (315° Ls).  Observers should be alert for dust clouds in the northeast Hellas Basin, the Serpentis-Noachis region, and the Solis Lacus region.

http://www.alpo-astr...h/2020_MARS.htm

I believe that 2018 in the above is a typo.

Dave, that article had a few errors and is no longer valid.  I changed web sites and here is the revised article you mention:  https://dustymars.ne...//2020_MARS.htm

The new place for The Mars Observers Café is: https://dustymars.neocities.org/

Also, the most recent ALPO Journal has Roger Venable's 2020 pre-apparition report (JALPO62-1-Winter-2020).

Edited by Jeff B1, 17 January 2020 - 10:33 AM.

• Dave Mitsky and eros312 like this

#15 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

A great reason to join ALPO is the journal that features apparition reports for each Solar System rock.  Join up yawl:  http://alpo-astronomy.org/index.htm

#16 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

I think I remember a few weeks ago Mars will put on its best show after midnight, at least here in Calif. Hopefully this doesn't mater at all to most of us, surly not me.

Looking forward to another awesome year in astronomy.

...Ralph

#17 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

Mars and Earth on October 6, 2020.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 3.32.50 PM.jpg

• Magnetic Field and vdog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics