•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 6 Pro VS Sky Safari 6 Plus and Stellarium

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern USA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

What are the differences between the two other than one is $6.99 and the other is $19.99

I use a manual dob with the no earth time or GOTO.

How does Stellarium fit in nowadays compared to the newer Sky Safari programs?

Thanks

• Thaeland likes this

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Yes it can run on a Smart Phone, but when I hear Stellarium I think laptop so I'd need a table and AC power to go more than a few hours.  When I hear SkySafari I think SmartPhone/tablet so pocket and battery power all night.   SkySafari won't run under Windows (although you can install an Android emulator and run SS) so if your main computing choice is Win then opt for Stellarium.  I believe that some users have mounted their SmartPhone/Tablet on their scopes and used SkySafari as an electrict finder.

As for which version of SkySafari I'd say normal users will go Plus while power users go Pro because the greater number of objects in the database. You can not add to the SkySafari databases...what's there is there, what's not isn't and won't be until Simulation Curriculum decides to add it as part of an update. 

As an example the Astronomical League has an observing program called Active Galactic Nuclei ( The Pro version of SS will has more (not all) of the program's objects.  While I don't have the Plus version, I'd bet that it would have much less.  This is also true for some of the galaxy and double star programs.  If all you plan on doing are Messier, NGC, IC, common variable or binary stars then Plus will serve you well.   

Do consider that it is only a $13 difference.  It's not like going out and buying something really expensive.

• Steve Cox and Thaeland like this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

What are the differences between the two other than one is $6.99 and the other is $19.99

I use a manual dob with the no earth time or GOTO.

How does Stellarium fit in nowadays compared to the newer Sky Safari programs?

Thanks

I use Sky Safari for almost everything.

I have the mobile versions of Stellarium and Stellarium plus but theyre weak by comparison to Sky Safari. I think Stellarium itself is limited compared to Sky Safari plus/pro.

Sky Safari has a sophisticated planner so I can build observing lists.

For example, I could search for all the galaxies and planetary nebula brighter than magnitude 11, larger than 20 arc seconds and smaller than 1 degree that at at least 20 degrees above the horizon some time from 8:30 pm until 5:30 am. That search takes about 2 seconds,  where I am, there's 355 objects that meet the criteria.  I can then make that into an observing list and I can choose to have the objects circled in the chart view. I can then log my observations.

Or I could chose to look at all the double stars in Bootes brighter than magnitude of 7 with separations wider than 1.1 arc seconds and narrow than 11.

Sky Safari also calculates the orbits of short period binaries like Sirius, Castor and Porrima so you have the up to date separations and angles..

There's so much functionality, the information, the descriptions, it's very powerful and well thought out.

Jon

• George N, kopite, tommm and 1 other like this

#4 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I have the mobile versions of Stellarium and Stellarium plus but theyre weak by comparison to Sky Safari. I think Stellarium itself is limited compared to Sky Safari plus/pro.

For example, I could search for all the galaxies and planetary nebula brighter than magnitude 11, larger than 20 arc seconds and smaller than 1 degree that at at least 20 degrees above the horizon some time from 8:30 pm until 5:30 am. That search takes about 2 seconds,  where I am, there's 355 objects that meet the criteria.  I can then make that into an observing list and I can choose to have the objects circled in the chart view. I can then log my observations.

Or I could chose to look at all the double stars in Bootes brighter than magnitude of 7 with separations wider than 1.1 arc seconds and narrow than 11.

Sky Safari also calculates the orbits of short period binaries like Sirius, Castor and Porrima so you have the up to date separations and angles..

There's so much functionality, the information, the descriptions, it's very powerful and well thought out.

Jon

Sky Safari is the free one right? 

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Sky Safari is the free one right? 

No.  While there is a free version, the OP's question was about the two pay versions, Plus and Pro.  Stellarium is free for PC, Mac OS X, Linux but $3.50 for Android (I have no experience with it so I don't know how it differs from the free PC, Mac OS X or Linux versions).

#6 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

No.  While there is a free version, the OP's question was about the two pay versions, Plus and Pro.  Stellarium is free for PC, Mac OS X, Linux but $3.50 for Android (I have no experience with it so I don't know how it differs from the free PC, Mac OS X or Linux versions).

Sorry S. Boerner,

this reply was meant for Jon Isaacs. I should have included his quote. 

Will try again.

• Thaeland likes this

#7 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

Jon

Jon

when you state Sky Safari are you referring to the free one or Sky Safari Plus or Sky Safari Pro. If you are speaking of the free Sky Safari the ability for it to do all you stated is tremendous.

• Thaeland likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

I am referring to Sky Safari 6 Plus and Pro.

What they do for what they cost is tremendous.

Jon

• George N, StarTrooper and outofsight like this

#9 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:55 PM

I am referring to Sky Safari 6 Plus and Pro.

What they do for what they cost is tremendous.

Jon

They jumped in price today I believe. SkySafari 6 Pro is now $39.99

and SkySafari 6 Plus is now $14.00

#10 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

Those are the normal price.  Those that you'd posted were sale prices that happen every once in a while.

• Jon Isaacs, George N and Steve Cox like this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:26 AM

They jumped in price today I believe. SkySafari 6 Pro is now $39.99

and SkySafari 6 Plus is now $14.00

As S.Boerner said, those are the normal prices.  

For what they do, they're still amazing values.  $40 buys a decent Plossl.  My entire operation is depends on Sky Safari 6 Pro, it is integrated into my observing technique.  It's good stuff. 

Jon

• btschumy, George N and Jond105 like this

#12 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Detroit

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:07 AM

I’m not sure about pro, but I have SkySafari plus and without it I would’ve been dead in the water without the moon or planets. Without prior knowledge or someone here to teach me, It’s taught me to star hop and allows me to limit it to what my sky conditions almost look like. Which isn’t a good sky, but following SkySafari along, has helped me hop to new targets and doubles. 

• btschumy and Jon Isaacs like this

#13 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

If I decide to go with a software program it will certainly be a transition. Though I have an iPad, Kindle, Nook, I still prefer paper. I still read from books, newspapers, etc. I like the feel, look. Software programs have the ability to search in seconds. 

Thanks for the inputs.

#14 moonrakercat

moonrakercat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

I have cartes du ceil, Deepsky 2000,  stellarium, Skysafari Pro 6, all running on my win 10 laptop - no issues - although I had to download and install bluestacks android emulator for skysafari  - everything still runs fine.

I have a dob - so I don't use any scope control - but do have to say I'm not impressed with Skysafari - graphics are very poor compared to Stellarium.     And I'm no pro - been doing viewing for 20 yrs,

I don't keep a log - and don't have any set patterns for my viewing - so I don't search for all the double stars etc etc and make a list.     But I do like dso's and I find that Stellarium has a ds button that brings up

a deep sky map - that is amazing - something skysafari is lacking.

Overall I think this summer I'll be using stellarium exclusively.

imho.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

I have a dob - so I don't use any scope control - but do have to say I'm not impressed with Skysafari - graphics are very poor compared to Stellarium.

You're running an Android app on Windows using an Emulator. Have you compared the graphics to a Sky Safari on a tablet?  

I do use the search, planner and logging functions of Sky Safari Pro. I observe doubles from my backyard, DSOs from the high desert. I quit using laptops about 20 years ago when Planetarium for the Palm made hand held devices practical. Having the device in my pocket is big advantage, it's right there when I needed it whether I'm sitting beside the telescope or standing on a ladder.

So what is "deep sky map?"

Jon

#16 moonrakercat

moonrakercat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

You're running an Android app on Windows using an Emulator. Have you compared the graphics to a Sky Safari on a tablet?  

I do use the search, planner and logging functions of Sky Safari Pro. I observe doubles from my backyard, DSOs from the high desert. I quit using laptops about 20 years ago when Planetarium for the Palm made hand held devices practical. Having the device in my pocket is big advantage, it's right there when I needed it whether I'm sitting beside the telescope or standing on a ladder.

So what is "deep sky map?"

Jon

Hi Jon - My bad - I looked into it further - actually called Digitized Sky Survey - I believe it is a hubble or other telescope deep field of sections of the sky - all stitched together - so it shows amazing views of ds objects - in fact trying to find NGC 206 in SSP6 is nearly impossible - you need to zoom into a good pic of Andromeda - which it doesn't have - but Stellarium has an excellent pic of Andromeda - in fact of many other ds object also  (and you don't have to open a different window on it) they are shown right in the sky as you zoom in.   Either way - clicking the Dss button in stellarium brings up a high res version of the sky - so much so in fact that you can discern the individual stars in ngc 206 - impossible in my version of SSF6.   Either way - I find the graphics in Stellarium so much superior to SSP6 that I am trying to find if I have something turned off in that program that should be turned on -- maybe it's just me ?   Not sure as I'm a newby to both programs....  either way I'm not going back to cartes du ceil.......

Maybe SSF6 on a tablet or phone does show ngc 206 ....not sure as I don't have an android tablet or phone ....maybe you can check it out and let me know...

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

Maybe SSF6 on a tablet or phone does show ngc 206 ....not sure as I don't have an android tablet or phone ....maybe you can check it out and let me know...

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Are you looking for a picture or a chart? NGC 206 is shown as an object in SS6P and there's plenty of information to locate it and identify it.

In the field, star hopping, I'm not looking at photos, the screen has to be at the very minimum brightness with red film to protect my night vision. I'm not sure how you're protecting your night vision, what kind of scopes you have, what you're actually looking. NGC 206 is an easy find because it's a well known object in the M31, a naked eye galaxy. 

I tend to hunt down faint galaxies both in groups and solitary. I'm identifying them based on charts, not photos. I log my new observations. And I just don't see a Windows laptop in the field, it's be a tough go trying to use it while standing on a ladder working between the finder and the main eyepiece, a 7 or 8 inch tablet is perfect for that.

Jon

#18 SETIsteve

SETIsteve

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

$6.99 and $19.99 on apple store right now

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:04 AM

$6.99 and $19.99 on apple store right now

I believe it's the same on the Andriod Playstore.

Jon

#20 Ron-Fr

Ron-Fr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Way too close to Paris, France

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:26 AM

I use Stellarium (free) on my Mac and Stellarium Pro (paid) on my Android phone. I bought Sky Safari both for the Mac and the phone and regretted it. It's slow compared to Stellarium, expensive and I don't find any useful features that Stellarium would lack.

#21 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

I use Stellarium (free) on my Mac and Stellarium Pro (paid) on my Android phone. I bought Sky Safari both for the Mac and the phone and regretted it. It's slow compared to Stellarium, expensive and I don't find any useful features that Stellarium would lack.

Hi Ron,

How can we make SkySafari more useful for you?  We are always looking for user feedback.  Thank you.  Pedro

• BrettG likes this

#22 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:42 PM

Thanks to all!

Edited by StarTrooper, 29 July 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#23 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

Hi Ron,

How can we make SkySafari more useful for you?  We are always looking for user feedback.  Thank you.  Pedro

Pedro:

I have Stellarium Plus on my phone and tablets. As far as I know, that's all there is, there is no Pro.

Realistically, Stellarium Plus is limited, it has relatively small databases, few capabilities and features. It's barebones compared to SkySafari Plus or Pro. 

Both Stellarium Plus and Sky Safari Plus take about 5 seconds to load on my Pixel XL, Pro takes about 15 seconds, I have the PGC galaxy extension and GAIA extensions so the databases are large.

I don't see any speed difference otherwise. I recommend downloading Stellarium Plus and spending some time with it. Sky Safari is full featured and for my purposes, far more capable, I am the user the that SS Plus and Pro are designed for, I'm a pure star hopper who observes all types of objects and uses relatively large scopes that reach beyond the NGC-IC catalogs.

Examples:

The search function barely exists. The Planner, there is none. The double star database, I see nothing. I could go on and on. Logging, there is none, shadow transits, measuring... On and on..

Jon

• ordep likes this

#24 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:52 PM

Hi Ron,

I paid $40 for SkySafari....it won't upgrade to the new OS.....

IF I buy the software again how do I know when I will no longer be able to run it??

• Procyon likes this

#25 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

What new OS are you referring to?  The only time I’m aware of where you were forced to buy a new version of SkySafari was when iOS started to require apps be compiled for 64 bits.  I believe SkySafari 3 was a 32 bit app so it would no longer run on the latest iOS.

We didn’t build planned obsolescence into the app.  We hoped a given version will run for a long time.

Edited by btschumy, 30 July 2020 - 11:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics