•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gluing teflon to wood. What type of glue?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

McMaster sells teflon tape with an adhesive backing, works well and is super pricey.

Bruce

• Oregon-raybender likes this

#27 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

I used contact cement to hold the rocker box teflon bearings.  As mentioned, the teflon has to be etched on one side.  If the directions for the contact cement are followed there should be no issues.

Edited by Old Rookie, 14 January 2020 - 04:12 PM.

• zxx likes this

#28 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

And if you use a drill bit to make the countersink second it often grabs the teflon and suddenly you have a hole that's too large.

For a lot of poly materials you can run the drill in reverse and get the desired results.  Can also put a table saw blade in backwards to cut.    Works well on the brittle materials, not sure about Teflon.

• Oregon-raybender likes this

#29 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

I just use a simple counter sink, than a lager drill. The drill flutes want to dive into the softer material. The process of countersinking in soft materials requires more flutes. You can find counter sinks at your local hardware store.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

https://www.acehardw...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• gregj888, airbleeder and Bob4BVM like this

#30 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

If you don't have etched Teflon, the chance of success is almost zero with only adhesive.  I've tried several adhesives designed for suck materials including some that was suppose to work and cost $50 for a very small bottle.  All had failed within a week, most in hours but I was bonding these to metals.

You can play a flame (blue/plasma portion of the flame) over the bonding area of the Teflon then "glue" within a few minutes.  I'm not sure I've done this with Teflon but have with HDPU and  Acetal which are almost as bad.  This has been partially successful on HDPU to HDPU with epoxy designed for "plastics."  If you did this AND used counter sunk screws you should be good if screws alone are not enough.

If you can't use fasteners and don't have etched Teflon, try the flame approach.  The material will be shiny to start.  Watch the "sheen" and when it dulls, that's enough flame work.  Directions I had said done within 15 minutes...    

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES burn Teflon around wild or domesticated birds. The fumes are incredibly toxic and can kill birds within seconds.

• calypsob likes this

#31 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

If you do the countersunk screws method (which I endorse), I have found that it is easier and makes a cleaner hole to use the countersink first, then the drill bit.  (Versus drilling the hole and then beveling it with the countersink.)  If the hole is drilled first the countersink sometimes tends to chatter and make an irregular bevel...the screw will still go in fine, but you lose 5 points for craftsmanship.

Good luck!

Good advice and standard high- craftsmanship practice for any material. If you want to precisely locate the holes before c-sinking, you can use a drill 1/10th or less the c-sink diameter and the c-sink will still cut a clean recess.

BTW, using twist drills as a c-sink is never a good idea, the point is the wrong angle. Plus you risk grabbing & plunging of bit. It's just the wrong tool for the job

• jtsenghas likes this

#32 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:58 PM

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES burn Teflon around wild or domesticated birds. The fumes are incredibly toxic and can kill birds within seconds.

Or people...  

It's called a plasma treatment and it just takes the sheen off.  If the color is changing you've over done it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wkQ5MX9h-So

It's a lot easier than it sounds... 

https://www.youtube....h?v=OL0ltMqgxT4

#33 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

Good advice and standard high- craftsmanship practice for any material. If you want to precisely locate the holes before c-sinking, you can use a drill 1/10th or less the c-sink diameter and the c-sink will still cut a clean recess.

BTW, using twist drills as a c-sink is never a good idea, the point is the wrong angle. Plus you risk grabbing & plunging of bit. It's just the wrong tool for the job

that's my method, a very small thru-hole to align everything, then the countersink, then the drill bit.  countersinks don't drill well right at the point, so having a guide-hole makes their job a lot easier.

I have a drill press, and a vise for it, any time I'm being particular, or if the workpiece is small, I take the extra time to secure the workpiece first.  a little scrap of wood, a bit narrower than the workpiece, put under it in the vise, will prevent distortion and minimize blowout on the back side of the piece.

• jtsenghas and Bob4BVM like this

#34 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

Inelegantly, I nailed them on with little finishing nails.  I did neglect to mention that the pads had countersinks already in place.  Because the teflon pads supplied with the kit were so thin I was having trouble with the screws not driving in far enough to avoid the head scraping on the bearing surface (and the @#*$^ Phillips heads stripping).  So I glued the pads on and used nails and a punch to recess the heads.  Works great.  

And the glue is still holding.....

Dave

• KidOrion and roscoe like this

#35 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:11 PM

My solution would be not  to glue, nail, or screw Teflon in at all but to first drill a  blind hole radially in the rocker box the diameter of Teflon rod and just insert a plug of Teflon rod in the blind hole. The weight of the telescope riding on the Teflon plugs is enough so that Teflon will not move. https://www.amazon.c...577T2D4V6HGPQF0

Don

Edited by don clement, 15 January 2020 - 08:13 PM.

• zxx and Oberon like this

#36 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

The kit provided three 'pucks' of Teflon about 2" in diameter and 1/8 " thick.  Screw, glue or nail were the only options.

Dave

#37 dan_h

dan_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

McMaster sells teflon tape with an adhesive backing, works well and is super pricey.

Bruce

Regrettably, these folks do not ship to Canada. 

dan

#38 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

I just use carpet tape... over and over and I haven't screwed them yet...lol.gif

#39 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

you can use a Polyolefin Primer and super glue will adhere to the primer. 

#40 totvos

totvos

Viking 1

• Loc: Mississauga, ON, Canada

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:54 AM

I will also put a vote in the mechanical screw/nail camp. I tried numerous times to glue with JB Weld (after scoring the back of the teflon generously). It would hold somewhat while everything was in place, but any shear force during transport and such would end up knocking one off. On Artemis I use small finishing nails, sunk below the surface, pre-drilling the teflon.

• jtsenghas likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics