•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quantum absurdities and the crisis in physics

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tamworth, NSW, Australia

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

This should provoke some reaction, and get'm off that theistic drivel ?

The abandonment, or ignorance of the power, and application  of  Maxwell's equations.

Barry

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:27 PM

I assume you were going to attach a link here?

The real pressing question is what happens to Scroedinger's cat?

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

I assume you were going to attach a link here?

The real pressing question is what happens to Scroedinger's cat?

Schrödinger's cat may or may not be dead.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

This should provoke some reaction, and get'm off that theistic drivel ?

The abandonment, or ignorance of the power, and application  of  Maxwell's equations.

Barry

Care to tell us what you're talking about ?

What is "This" ?

#5 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

Schrodinger proposed his cat to demonstrate the absurdity of quantum superpositions.

QM's are now running with it as if it's some wonderful feature,  Erwin must be turning in his grave

He also said if he knew what the QM's of the day were claiming of his equations  "and those **** quantum jumps" he would  have got out of physics.

Boy, have I got links and references, I just wanted get a reaction to see which topics to address.

Barry

Edited by bcgilbert, 13 January 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#6 andycknight

andycknight

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

bcgilbert, on 13 Jan 2020 - 5:30 PM, said:

There are some very good Feynman lectures on Youtube.

I particularly like the one where the college student tries to tell him, that all you need are Maxwell's Equations!

But back to the Title - I certainly agree that QM is absurd. Trouble is its all we have, even if it does break every rule in common sense!!

#7 jdk

jdk

Ranger 4

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

Schrodinger proposed his cat to demonstrate the absurdity of quantum superpositions.

Absurd only in the way that 3 dimensional space would seem absurd to a 2 dimensional being. It doesn't mean it is not an entirely accurate description of reality. 

Edited by jdk, 13 January 2020 - 02:23 PM.

#8 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

"This", could be how does photon know what to do at an air glass boundary?

At a simple glass boundary (telescope lense), it has a 5 to 10% probability being reflected and 90 to 95% probability of transmission.   If the same lense has multi dielectric coatings, the probability of reflection may drop to less than 1%, how does the photon calculate the fractional wavelength of the coatings, the various dielectric constants of the coatings,  and the number of coatings, the potential number could 100's.  In a pile plates polarizer the number of plates can be quite high.  Maxwell's equations solve the problem easily, in fact they are used to design such systems.  Opticians and rf engineers never use quantum theory.

"Another this",  Charles H Townes, the inventor of the laser was told by Niels Bohr that is idea couldn't possibly work, because of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.   It took twenty years to come up with some bizzare rationale to explain the laser operation, now they claim the laser as a quantum device. They still don't understand it, because when they measure photon the arrival statistics from a highly attenuated  narrow linewidth laser beam, they claim it is poisson distributed or nearly so, and yet if you do a fourier transform of such statistics, you don't get the narrow linewidth  of  the initial laser linewidth.  Mawellian clue, the statistics come from the thermal noise of the attenuator.  I'm getting tired, I can discuss EPR, or quantum tunneling, or polarizing filters, quantum computers, encryption, teleportation, lamb shift, g factor of electron, electron diffraction, Young's two slit for electrons or photons.

Cheers        

#9 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

"But back to the Title - I certainly agree that QM is absurd. Trouble is its all we have, even if it does break every rule in common sense!!"

I am no student, I have been using Maxwell's equations for 50 years, designing smart antennas,  adsl, vdsl and solving many theoretical physics problems.  I have co authored  a paper published in an international  peer reviewed journal using Maxwell's equations, to model the behaviour of silver atoms, in the Stern Gerlach apparatus.  Canadian Journal of Physics.  80. p1121-1131. 2002.  And several other papers on quantum physics.

Cheers

Barry

#10 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Feynman was puzzled for many years on, why the electron, in say, a hydrogen atom in the ground state, didn't radiate away its energy, and crash into the proton, in about 5 ns. as per his Maxwellian calculations.  My Maxwellian calculations say that in a universe awash with hydrogen atoms they have an exceedingly small probability  of even getting close, however an isolated atom of hydrogen(one single atom in an empty universe, would radiate its energy in 5ns possibly allowing a crash to occur,  there  may be a problem in nuclear physics for this process.

In a large antenna array(large in number of elements, not necessarily very large physically, it could printed on the nose of a cannon shell), it is difficult to radiate from each individual element, particularly when you try to steer the beam, the solution to understanding this problem is similar to the hydrogen radiating problem.  A dipole in a six sided conducting cavity will not radiate either, infinite SWR, in the jargon of the CBer or zero return loss in the jargon of the ham or rf engineer.  

It is bad luck Feynman didn't stick with fixing radios, and get up to speed with Maxwell,  he

may have solved the other problem he wrestled with for many years, young's two slit with electrons, all he could think of, was bullets.   I will address this another time, but I will leave you with a clue to think about, the electron has a magnetic moment, also what does a squash ball do when it bounces off a surface or an edge?, what would a small neodymium magnet do if you shoot it out of  shotgun?

Cheers

Barry 

Edited by bcgilbert, 13 January 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#11 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

dalek12.gif 

#12 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

As I've observed before, I find the suggestion that a theory of atoms and subatomic particles should make intuitive sense to us, quite bizarre.

It would be nice if it did, I guess, but I can't see any reason to expect it.

#13 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

Dave, I to was disappointed when I saw my dad creeping in to put stuff in my stocking.  It was hard, very hard, but I got over It. Oh! how I miss the tooth fairy, angels, goblins and unicorns. But at least I don’t have to obsess over how the angels push the planets around or be-scared of Thor, the thunder god, I just put up a lightning rod, and I can find out how stuff works now, I no longer worry about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin,  I’m still a bit scared of the dark, and ghosts, but of course  I don't believe in them.

cheers

Barry

#14 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

I’m a bit worried about poor old bob4VBM though, he seems to be rattling!  I do hope he recovers

Concerned

Barry

#15 bcgilbert

bcgilbert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

I haven’t been for a long time, but If I visit the US I Don’t go to Disney land or Vegas, visit the Hollywood hills or anything like that specially since the kids grew up.  Boring old fart me, goes to Yosemite,  Yellowstone the canyon or bloody monument valley or NASA,  Art galleries, conferences on antennae, stuff like that.  Last time I went to church, It was to fix a sound  system.

Trying to be cool

Barry

#16 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

I like that..."a crisis in physics"...especially cosmology...as if it would impact anything if they were wrong about anything...and if by some astronomical unlikelihood it did have some esoterically obscure impact to anything useful here on planet Earth, as if it would really matter...a crisis in physics lol.gif

• jpcampbell likes this

#17 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:25 AM

I like that..."a crisis in physics"...especially cosmology...as if it would impact anything if they were wrong about anything...and if by some astronomical unlikelihood it did have some esoterically obscure impact to anything useful here on planet Earth, as if it would really matter...a crisis in physics lol.gif

So well put Bill !

I too have a hard time avoiding a direct sarcastic response to all this.

The "we are so smart" crowd continue to avoid the elephant in the room, so much silence on the REAL " crisis in physics" the absurdity we call the Big Bang.

Where our precious laws of physics utterly dissolve before our very eyes, and the real Great Questions still go starving for answers.

Why is that ?

I have asked that many times of some very smart people and am still awaiting answers.

I don't expect any here either.

So please pass the popcorn,

Bob

• jpcampbell likes this

#18 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

So well put Bill !

The "we are so smart" crowd continue to avoid the elephant in the room, so much silence on the REAL " crisis in physics" the absurdity we call the Big Bang.

Where our precious laws of physics utterly dissolve before our very eyes, and the real Great Questions still go starving for answers.

Why is that ?

I have asked that many times of some very smart people and am still awaiting answers.

Bob

Science needs time to answer the questions you ask.  Its like asking a mechanic whats wrong with your car before you take it in to get diagnosed. 

• llanitedave likes this

#19 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

So you have not got a response or answer you find worthy or acceptable regarding the BBT and you provide sarcasm.  Hmm, I enjoy mirthful sarcasm and anecdotes myself - puns, oh yes please.

Any perceived derision or mockery leaves me unimpressed. 

Ive been perusing this science section for some time and find it rather disappointing to see the direct and suggested theist based comments. Full stop. 

• Jim7728, llanitedave and City Kid like this

#20 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

So well put Bill !
The "we are so smart" crowd continue to avoid the elephant in the room, so much silence on the REAL " crisis in physics" the absurdity we call the Big Bang.
Why is that ?

Bob

The Big Bang arose as a quantum fluctuation in a previously existing spacetime manifold.

R U happy now? :yay:
  • llanitedave and Jim_V like this

#21 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

When one asks a question "of some very smart people" and they respond that the answer remains unknown,  does one continue to stand there tapping his foot waiting for them to procure the answer for him, and then feel superiorly indignant when they don't, or does one attempt to research the question himself?

• Jim7728, Captndon and Jim_V like this

#22 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

The Big Bang arose as a quantum fluctuation in a previously existing spacetime manifold.

R U happy now? yay.gif

Happier than a dancing banana.

I knew i'd get the answer if I waited long enough...

#23 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:47 PM

R U happy now? yay.gif

What size carburetor bolts up to the ST manifold??

#24 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

What size carburetor bolts up to the ST manifold??

Holley 4-barrel

#25 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Happier than a dancing banana.

I knew i'd get the answer if I waited long enough...

But is the answer correct....or more importantly does it matter?

Edited by Keith Rivich, 22 January 2020 - 03:42 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics