•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brlasy1

brlasy1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hello!  I've been watching and reading for tips for a couple of years.  I've been a science and space geek since the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo days.  I've owned personal computers since the early 80s and speak Windows, OS X, and Android.  I retired from federal service in 2010 and enjoy rehabbing old motorcycles and scooters and have recently begun to combine my photography and astronomy hobbies.  

I currently have a Nexstar 4SE (I know, slow and small, but my first non-cheap telescope) and a Meade 80XT, which I adapted to my Nexstar mount for photography.  I've been experimenting with Prime focal photography with a M43 Olympus Pen and Nikon D5100 DSLR, and Afocal shots with my iPhone.  The Orion (30 sec/ISO 800) and Moon (Program mode, stopped down two steps) images were shot with the M43 Pen.  I have Starry Sky Stacker and Starry Landscape Stacker on my Mac and Registax on a Mac Windows partition I run under Parallels, but the images are both unprocessed.

I live on the outskirts of Abilene, TX, so I get some skyglow, but I can still see and image enough to keep me happy.

That's all for now.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2541 copy.jpeg
  • P1110252 copy.jpeg
  • P1110254 copy.jpeg

• Starman27, ShaulaB, whwang and 2 others like this

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

Welcome to CN.

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

Welcome!

I came into possession of a 4SE last year. Thank you for posting the photo of your mount adapter. I am inspired to copy it, if that's ok.

• brlasy1 likes this

#4 brlasy1

brlasy1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Welcome!

I came into possession of a 4SE last year. Thank you for posting the photo of your mount adapter. I am inspired to copy it, if that's ok.

Easy to do.  4" PVC pipe, 4" vixen dovetail on the mount side, mounting rings bolted to the PVC on the telescope side.  Camera clears the side of the tripod by about 1/8 inch at zenith, so I may change it to a piece of 6" PVC.

Edited by brlasy1, 14 January 2020 - 09:51 AM.

• ShaulaB likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics