•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF - Esprit Users - A word of caution

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Janco

Janco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:16 AM

Good day everyone, 

Just felt like a had to share I word of caution to my fellow Esprit users that the Tak bracket sold as to allegedly supporting Esprit telescopes (100mm and up) by ZWO does not fit on the focuser as you would expect it to. I see ZWO has in the meanwhile gone and removed Esprit telescopes from the supported list since I raised my concerns with them: https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-eaf

Some of the resellers however haven't: https://www.firstlig...ocuser-eaf.html

From FLO website: 

EAF.png

The best I could do is to attach the bracket using one screw only with the motor slightly tilted. I rather flimsy looking contraption. 

The motor also shown quite a bit of backlash (I've determined around 130 steps) on the coupling-to-motor connections alone. 

The backlash is not such a big issue, because at least if reproducible can be fixed with backlash comp. I am still waiting for ZWO to give me a satisfactory explanation regarding this issue and a way going forward. 

Edited by Janco, 14 January 2020 - 03:17 AM.

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:48 AM

Hopefully  ZWO will come up with a proper fix or refund your money. If the ZWO EAF doesn't work out the PegasusAstro Focus Cube 2 does fit the the 100 and larger Esprit scopes. On the 120 mm you have to reverse the finder scope base or move it to the opposite side (there is a mounting hole under the label) in order to use the outer pair of  holes in the focuser. The next pair inward seem the better fit but they are adjustment screws and should not be removed.

• Janco likes this

#3 Janco

Janco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:27 AM

Hopefully  ZWO will come up with a proper fix or refund your money. If the ZWO EAF doesn't work out the PegasusAstro Focus Cube 2 does fit the the 100 and larger Esprit scopes. On the 120 mm you have to reverse the finder scope base or move it to the opposite side (there is a mounting hole under the label) in order to use the outer pair of  holes in the focuser. The next pair inward seem the better fit but they are adjustment screws and should not be removed.

Thanks Barbarosa, 

I've had my eye on the Pegasus Cube as well. My incentive for going with the EAF was because of hoping to get the ASIAir one day when they support auto focusing. I guess I'll be staying with SGP.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

Local hardware store.  A 2" wide piece of 1/8" thick aluminum plate is about $3.  Bend it where you need it bent in a vice.  Drill 5 holes (the biggest is for the EAF motor shaft).  Mount your EAF.

Done.

• Night shift and Janco like this

#5 Janco

Janco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

Local hardware store.  A 2" wide piece of 1/8" thick aluminum plate is about $3.  Bend it where you need it bent in a vice.  Drill 5 holes (the biggest is for the EAF motor shaft).  Mount your EAF.

Done.

Haha I agree but, unfortunately I don't spend thousands of dollars on equipment and end up with a make a plan motor focuser, especially not if the item was sold as a fully functional unit suppose to be compatible with your rig. 

I am currently working with ZWO to have this sorted out... I be sending them the correct dimensions of the mounting plate. But what it comes down to is that is just has to be a little bit wider. 

• psandelle likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:45 AM

Haha I agree but, unfortunately I don't spend thousands of dollars on equipment and end up with a make a plan motor focuser, especially not if the item was sold as a fully functional unit suppose to be compatible with your rig. 

I am currently working with ZWO to have this sorted out... I be sending them the correct dimensions of the mounting plate. But what it comes down to is that is just has to be a little bit wider. 

Well, yes, the telescope and mount are "thousands of dollars," but the EAF is under $200.  I have two.  And while I think it would be great for ZWO to develop pre-made brackets for every telescope out there, I don't think that will ever happen (and even doing it for the top 50% most popular ones will take quite a while).  That's why I offered the quick, inexpensive, practical solution above :)

I have three scopes currently.  None were listed on the ZWO "compatibility" list.  I bought two EAFs anyway.  The first two bolted right on using the default bracket, with no modifications of any kind needed (these were my two current WO refractors, plus a third WO refractor I no longer have).  The third one, a GSO-clone 6" f/4 Newt, had issues with the default bracket fitting.  So I went down to the hardware store, spent $3, drilled a few holes, and had it mounted and working fine in less than an hour.  ZWO might someday get around to making a special-case bracket for the focuser on that scope.  That would be great.  In the meantime, I've been using their focuser on my scope for 6 months, for $3 and a little time, without waiting on them :)

Good luck with yours, hope they come up with a workable solution.

• Night shift, Janco and descott12 like this

#7 cassma

cassma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

Thank you so much for this information. I was just about to buy the EAF for my 100mm esprit. Did zwo mention anything about developing one for the esprit?

Best

#8 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Well I just ordered one for my Esprit 100. I've read lots of people that have gotten it to work and lots of people having troubles with that scope. I'm anticipating some power tools will be used to make it work...

• OldManSky and cassma like this

#9 Lostone

Lostone

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

Good day everyone, 

Just felt like a had to share I word of caution to my fellow Esprit users that the Tak bracket sold as to allegedly supporting Esprit telescopes (100mm and up) by ZWO does not fit on the focuser as you would expect it to. I see ZWO has in the meanwhile gone and removed Esprit telescopes from the supported list since I raised my concerns with them: https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-eaf

Some of the resellers however haven't: https://www.firstlig...ocuser-eaf.html

From FLO website: 

attachicon.gifEAF.png

The best I could do is to attach the bracket using one screw only with the motor slightly tilted. I rather flimsy looking contraption. 

The motor also shown quite a bit of backlash (I've determined around 130 steps) on the coupling-to-motor connections alone. 

The backlash is not such a big issue, because at least if reproducible can be fixed with backlash comp. I am still waiting for ZWO to give me a satisfactory explanation regarding this issue and a way going forward. 

Thanks for the heads up, This is one of the ones I'm looking at for my Esprit 100.  Well it's off the table now and tossed through a wall and out of my radar scope.

#10 cassma

cassma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

I did some search on the ZWO forum and it looks like ordering the Takahashi bracket do work on the skywatcher esprit. One should be able to mount it with two screws which should be enough to secure the whole assembly (I would not go with the standard one that only works with one screw, it just does feel sturdy enough although some have been using it that way). 

A couple of alternatives that I've been looking at are the Sesto senso 2 and the FocusCube 2 both more expensive but maybe worth. I am an ASIAR user so not sure if either one would work with it (which means I would have to use  a laptop to control and ajust the focus separately) 

#11 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

I read the suggestion to buy some aluminum stock, bend it and drill it. I am certain that this would be just as easy as described, for someone else not for me.

I am not unhandy, I can do plumbing, electrical work, rebuild a motor, make a finger joint  or build a fence. I can frame and hang a door I have a pretty good set of tools but not for metal work. For that I have a cheap drill press, a bench grinder, files, a propane torch and somewhere a center punch. I have three vices, wood, metal and wine) and I have  have cut and bent, or heated and bent, a fair number of steel items.But my friends, though I am ashamed to say it, aluminum is my Waterloo.

It sounds so simple bend a length of 1/8 aluminum to a precise  90o  with the line of the bend precisely 90 across the stock. It never works for me. Sometimes the aluminum cracks and sometimes the piece picks up a bit of twist. Mostly it cracks.

Big deal you say. Buy the right alloy, Use forming dies and a press remembering to get the correct radius in the bend. Then layout and drill some holes with sufficient accuracy.

For me the only option is to buy a ready made bracket. Oh i could enlarge a hole or slot but that's about it. For those with skill and tools I say go for it. For me it was buy the Focus Cube 2 and install it with no problems other than to reverse the finder clamp base (or move it to the other side of the OTA and use the hole hidden under the decal.

Which ever way you go life is much better after the motor than before. The Focus Cube 2 has an applet. But SharpCap  can use it as well, by eye or with the focus tools. 

• psandelle likes this

#12 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

Try this solution: https://www.cloudyni...then-you-think/

• Night shift likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics