•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Win7 upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

What if I want to ditch Windows? Ubuntu?

Arne

I use Ubuntu for processing, Windows 10 for data acquisition.  For acquisition, anything else makes dealing with software/drivers hard.  Among other things, some very valuable acquisition software is written only for Windows, the small developers (sometimes just one person) don't have the resources to accommodate tiny markets.

#27 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

I see. But if I keep Win7 and my current SharpCap for asquisition - it works - and use Ubuntu for processing I should be fine.

Arne

• bobzeq25 likes this

#28 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

I think that if your system is stable then upgrading is unnecessary. I upgraded when Win10 came out because I had 4 computers and I wanted the free upgrades. I've got about 6 computers overall running astronomy software that I control. In all that time (3.4 years?) I've had exactly two astro-related things break due to an upgrade. We have an obsolete filter wheel that occasionally needs to be reinstalled and I had a focuser failure due to an ASCOM problem after another upgrade. Personally, I really prefer Win 10 but it's something new to learn and that's a nuisance. 

• aneeg likes this

#29 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

I am not running since support ended for win7. I will stay with it, as I did take the free win10 update when it was offered, tried it, did not like it and went back to win7. 

I still have another computer running win98 lol.gif , no bugs on that one.

I did find the sticker on my computer with the key code and from what I have been reading, I suppose the upgrade is still good as long as you have your key from win7.  But will stay with win7 till I have to buy a new computer, then I am going with a Mac.

Mike

#30 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

I am not running since support ended for win7. I will stay with it, as I did take the free win10 update when it was offered, tried it, did not like it and went back to win7. 

I still have another computer running win98 lol.gif , no bugs on that one.

I did find the sticker on my computer with the key code and from what I have been reading, I suppose the upgrade is still good as long as you have your key from win7.  But will stay with win7 till I have to buy a new computer, then I am going with a Mac.

Mike

Might be the best solution for you.  I almost bought a Mac once.  No way could I justify the premium cost - no matter how nice the screen looked at the time.  I do love my iPad though...

#31 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Funny... got a win 7 update today... lol. 

Personally I find Win 7 very stable on my computer.   Given they've had 11 years to find vulnerabilities in the base code most of the stuff now more relates to using other applications that tended to leave open loopholes.  Microsoft Office, built in email client, and microsoft browsers were some of the worst offenders on that account.  I dont' use those whatsoever.  

What most people don't realize is that patches often caused vulnerabilities so you have to have patches for patches for patches... etc.   

• BRCoz likes this

#32 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

There could be errors in the base code of the OS, and I'd agree that Windows 7 should have most of those pretty well squashed.  Windows 7 can no longer adapt to new vulnerabilities discovered and exploited by future hackers...  And while I have seen some Microsoft patches that require additional patches, most of them do not.

I really think it's the most sensible thing to upgrade to Windows 10 if your hardware/software can support it.  It is definitely still a free upgrade, it might not be forever...

#33 bobharmony

bobharmony

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

FWIW, my old AP laptop is still running Win 7.  These days I use it for playing music in the office and little else.  I went through the instructions last light to upgrade to Win 10, and it was successful.  I have an activated license and no out of pocket expense.

The machine may run like a pig now, we shall see.  What the heck, I was going to just format the hard drive with Mbam and turn it over to the scrap guys anyway if the upgrade didn't work.

Bob

• brentknight likes this

#34 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

I haven't done benchmarks, but there was a flaw with Intel CPUs that required the processors being throttled down in software. Windows 10 has fixed that to some extent, so the machine may actually run faster after the upgrade. I've not noticed any slowdown on the three I have upgraded.

I would seriously suggest doing the SSD upgrade as well. 250GB for only $50, and the difference in overall performance is pretty amazing...

#35 john strnck

john strnck

Vostok 1

• Loc: western pa

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

well, you do what you want to, i had win7 and went to win10,  i went back to win7 because i knew it and liked it better- it also had movie maker, started having issues, no support and other problems, went back to win 10, learned the system and that was best thing i ever did, so either get 10 or be prepared for a lot of problems

#36 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

Switching to Windows 10 can be a costly affair...even when you don't need anything new! I have been lucky switching to Windows 10 with no problems so far. I have my 2 astronomy laptops and my main desktop machine on Windows 10 Pro. Using Remote Desktop is a godsend when imaging out in the backyard. Once set up I can come back in and if any audible warnings occur, they will sound on my desktop machine. I can also audit any image that comes down in case of satellite trails or planes. So with my asto apps, Windows 10 is great. Even got my Orion Nautilus filter wheel to run again.

However, I am also into music and found out that my external sound card that I paid $300.00 for is no longer supported. Cakewalk, a program that I have used for 10 years or more has ceased to exist and will only run on Windows 7 or lower. Native Instruments Hammond B4 will not run on Windows 7, another $300.00+ program from Germany. So I have dedicated my HPi7 Elite Desktop machine to music only having Windows 7 Pro installed and my Lenovo Desktop is for Astro processing with 32 Gigs or RAM running Windows 10 Pro. 

• SeymoreStars likes this

#37 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

When I purchased a new computer in preparation for retiring my old one, I went from 7 to 10 and have seen no issues with the software move.

• rgsalinger likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics