•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone have an ES ED127 with 2.5" Hexfocus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

And for bonus points, do you have the ES (Explore Scientific) .7x focal reducer. I am trying to determine the correct backfocus for the reducer and am getting conflicting information. Thanks!

#2 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

And for bonus points, do you have the ES (Explore Scientific) .7x focal reducer. I am trying to determine the correct backfocus for the reducer and am getting conflicting information. Thanks!

I just got the ES ED127 FCD100 CF. I do not have the focal reducer yet.

I'm using a DSLR: Canon ESO Rebel 3 1100D, and for imaging in prime focus the correct backfocus is achieved by using both of the provided extensions and adjusting the focuser about halfway.

Also keep in mind that if you ever plan to use a 2x barlow (edit: for imaging), you'll need an additional 2-inch extender.

Edited by TrustyChords, 14 January 2020 - 01:30 PM.

#3 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

Explore Scientific tech support now says the back focus for the focal reducer is 55mm, that is more in line with my findings. It was quite a hair puller trying to get focus with bad back focus data

#4 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

The backfocus is 55mm that is from the glass, not the M24 adapter.  You'll have to add about 3mm to it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics