•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DobStuff Rocker box for my Serrurier Truss 12.5".

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

My 12.5" Serrurier Truss Newtonian is detailed here....

I needed a Dob mount for this scope.  And so i ordered a kit from DobStuff.  It took me about 3 weeks to assemble it all.  Staining and clear-coating took the most time since I waited a day or two between coats... I made every effort to stain it the same as the Teeter 'centre-box' and UTA..  The pictures speak for themselves.  I think my staining is a wee bit darker but close enough.

Pics here and in subsequent posts...

This telescope can now be successfully used as both an equatorially mounted Newtonian for photography and a Dobsonian Newtonian for visual observing... Taking advantage of the superb Lockwood mirror for both uses.

Other than routing the DSC wires the scope is ready for first light....

The dovetail seen here is a rare Losmandy 2 1/2" which holds the guide scope in EQ mode...

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Dave

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Another aspect:

A 3 1/2 dovetail for mountin in EQ mode.  A small Kendrick dew controller mounts on the velcros...

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Dave

#3 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

View #3:

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

Dave

• airbleeder likes this

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

View #4

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Dave

• airbleeder likes this

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

The Nexus DSC's work very nicely with the supplied 10 000 tic encoders....  I put the 'brain' up at the top for convenience.....

IMG_0669.jpg

My thoughts on the DobStuff product.

Quality of wood - excellent.  Baltic Birch.

Fit:  Very nice as you would expect from CNC - cut wood.  There was a lack of pre-drilling holes, however.  e.g. when joining one side to the base there were pre-drilled holes in the base but no pre-drilled holes in the side.  I had to stick an awl in every hole to mark the location and then pre-drill myself.  Try doing that with two pieces of wood meeting perpendicularly......  Mark the first hole, drill, insert screw part way.  Mark the next two holes, remove screw, disassemble the two pieces, drill the two remaining holes.  Glue it and screw it. Then clamp it... wait for the glue to dry....  Had to do that for every join....  There's no way you could screw into that Birch without a pre-drilled hole... 

Joinery:  The edges are joined by just butting one piece to another, gluing and screwing and subsequent clamping.   I know that most of the high-end dob makers use more sophisticated joinery which is likely to be stronger and retain orthogonality better.  The jury is still out on whether the joins will survive normal use over time... we'll see....

Small parts.  The Teflon bearings, bearing surfaces and other parts all installed well and work smoothly.   BUT.   The teeny screws, Phillips-style, were not robust enough to survive even moderate tightening before they stripped.  The metal was soft.  I had to replace all the screws with proper screws.  In Canada this means Robertson screw heads which are far less likely to strip.... 

And one last mention:  For some reason the Kit is supplied with NO installation or assembly manual.  I have never assembled a dob base before and had some head-scratching moments.  Inquiries to Dennis were answered promptly.  But why no instructions???  

First light may be a while yet..... Snow on the ground....

Dave

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:15 PM

Dennis does good work. Looks great.
Where did you get that black bar for the altitude encoder? My altitude bearings are similar to yours.

#7 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Middle Tennessee

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

My experience with Dennis is that he is great. A few folks have had a problem here or there. That happens with anyone. But the real question is what happens after the problem. Dennis has always been great with his followup service.

I know it is too late for this now, but others may benefit from knowing that his links page on his website has assembly instructions.

http://dobstuff.com/links.htm

#8 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

Dennis does good work. Looks great.
Where did you get that black bar for the altitude encoder? My altitude bearings are similar to yours.

You mean in the second pic in post #3?

The 'black bar' and all encoder installation hardware  came with my kit right from DobStuff...

Dave

#9 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

Looks good Dave.  I considered the same but found a 12" SW Base locally for cheap (and already assembled).

#10 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

Looks great.

#11 a__l

a__l

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Stick Velcro into place (red arrow). Stick another Velcro on the back of the Nexus DSC.

Bottom photo, my 14.5".

Attached Thumbnails

• Nexus.jpg
  • N&S_Iz_.jpg

Edited by a__l, 14 January 2020 - 11:39 PM.

#12 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Joinery:  The edges are joined by just butting one piece to another, gluing and screwing and subsequent clamping.   I know that most of the high-end dob makers use more sophisticated joinery which is likely to be stronger and retain orthogonality better

Biscuit joints are great way to butt joint. It’s all you need. 

#13 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:53 PM

Biscuit joints are great way to butt joint. It’s all you need. 

The kit did not come with biscuit joints.  You just screw one piece of plywood to another.  No fancy joinery....

Dave

#14 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:00 AM

Stick Velcro into place (red arrow). Stick another Velcro on the back of the Nexus DSC.

Bottom photo, my 14.5".

a_______l, I have velcro on the back of the Nexus box already since it is also used on my Discmount DM6.  However the "feet" on the Nexus box really interfere with its installation on the UTA of this Dob. (I've put a velcro strip on the UTA but it won't sit right....   I'm seriously considering removing the feet so that it will sit flat.  Grinder?  Knife?? 

Why on Earth did Serge put this beautiful piece of technology in such an oddly shaped box?  Makes no sense at all.....should just be a flat-sided rectangular box.

Dave

#15 a__l

a__l

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:04 AM

Not. The feets remained. In my photo, they rest against the board. Hold well.

Top feets in the air (if I remember correctly).

Edited by a__l, 15 January 2020 - 12:07 AM.

#16 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Desert, CA.

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Hi all. When David first got the kit and asked if I had instruction -- a said I needed to post instructions the next time I built a rocker box for some. After I read David's post, and he pointed to my assemble a telescope webpage  I realized I really had the instructions out there already!! Thanks to David's comment, I took some of the photos and descriptions and created a "assemble a rocker box kit webpage".  

Take a look at http://dobstuff.com/...BoxAssemble.htm and tell me what you think!!

(I hope this post fits into the forum guidelines. I thought it might. If not the moderator will know what to do!!) smile.gif smile.gif

Dennis

• Pinbout likes this

#17 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

Take a look at http://dobstuff.com/...BoxAssemble.htm and tell me what you think!!

Nice pics

You use contact cement on alt bearings, don’t get the clamps... it’s suppose to be burnished on tongue2.gif

why not use same contact cement on the frp, more burnishing.

grin.gif

#18 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Desert, CA.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:27 AM

Yes, the clamps on the laminate. I found then unnecessary -- so an older picture. But, one way or the other it doesn't hurt to use 'em. It is true, though, the contact cement, if used correctly, will affix the laminate to the Baltic birch almost instantly!! 

• Starman47 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics