•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Objective Gratings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cardanoc

cardanoc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

Hi

After reading Uwe Zurmühl article "Objective Gratings for Amateurs" in Spektrum 55, I decided to try an objective grating and stopped spending my time on a slitless spectroscope.

While the Star Analyzer 100 is readily available, it is small and would only be useful on the brightest stars.  I decided to try the 45mm format grating from Paton Hawksley.  I chose the 100 lines/mm grating to give me a wide field of view. 

I built a slide holder and connected it to the front of my 72mm f/6 refractor.  According to TransSpec V3.2, by Ken Harrison, I should get a resolution of R = 2000.  This is ten times greater than my converging beam setup using the Star Analyzer 100.

I was very pleased with the results.  I used Menkalinam, an A2V star, for focus and calibration. With all of the discussion of Betelguese, I wanted to take a spectra of it.  I took thirty 40 second exposures (along with dark frames) using an ASI 174mm camera.  I stacked the frames using Astro Art. 

The attached picture shows my Betelguese spectra.  This is far better than any spectra I ever took with my converging beam setup.

I made some inquires with several manufacturers about getting a larger 100 lines/mm grating (i.e., 75mm square).  Sadly, the costs went from $500 to over $1000!

Attached Thumbnails

• Betelguese.jpg

Edited by cardanoc, 14 January 2020 - 04:41 PM.

• mwr likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

Cool! Like all things optical, grating cost goes up fast with size... because the precise phase-relationship across the entire format must be maintained to achieve the theoretical spectral resolution. I have this nice objective prism... and haven't even tried it yet!    Tom

~ click on ~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 104 original Fraunhofer objective prism 1899 and Toms.jpg

#3 StarBurger

StarBurger

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

From a spectroscopy ignoramus: I have to ask if the "plastic" copies of a ruled grating will do the job as well. 

I guess I am answering my own question- if they were any good we would all have them?

Just the same the spectrogram of Menkalinam is very impressive. Well done.

Edited by StarBurger, 14 January 2020 - 05:13 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics