•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Desktop wallpaper script for Unix users, Fetches the GOES-16 full color, full disk image of the earth every 10 minutes from NOAA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 X86BSD

X86BSD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Good evening everyone!

As it's winter time here and the skies are not going to cooperate in any viewing, sad panda frown.gif, I am stuck inside in front of my Workstation. I've had this script I use for a couple of decades now that's been updated over time as server names change, paths change etc, and I ran across it while house keeping and though it might be enjoyable by others. It's nothing fancy by any stretch of the imagination, but it brings me a lot of simple joy smile.gif

This script will go out to NOAA's server every 10 minutes, which is the soonest I can be ensured a new image of the earth has been taken and processed, fetch it off the server and throw it in a wall paper directory of your choosing.

I use KDE on slideshow to update this image as my Workstation background every 10 minutes so I can watch the earth go from night to day and day to night over a 24 hour period. I don't know why such a simple thing brings me a smile but it does. So if you are running FreeBSD (the OS it was written on), or a Linux variant, or any flavor of Unix really you might enjoy it as I do.

You can change the frequency it fetches a new image by changing the "sleep 600" line. I have it set to 10 minutes any sooner and you may get the same image twice, it's certain to be updated every 10m. And obviously you need to have the curl application installed, and you can set where you want to have curl stash the image by changing the line right after the -o option to wherever your wallpapers are stored. Clear skies everyone!

#!/bin/sh
while [ "$INPUT_STRING" != "bye" ]
do
        /usr/local/bin/curl -o /home/changeme/Desktop/wallpaper/Earth.jpg https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/FD/GEOCOLOR/latest.jpg
        sleep 600
done

Edited by X86BSD, 14 January 2020 - 07:52 PM.

• lbim and Gucky like this

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Nice :) reminds me of something similar I used at least 20y ago. That was both on SunOS and on FreeBSD back then.

• X86BSD likes this

#3 X86BSD

X86BSD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

Nice smile.gif reminds me of something similar I used at least 20y ago. That was both on SunOS and on FreeBSD back then.

Yeah, that's about how long I have had a version of this script. :) Back when setting the root window on X was a lot easier.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics