•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ha Filter for Canon 6D Mark II?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Domer

Domer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

Does anyone know if there is an Ha Filter available for the Canon 6D Mark II?  The Astronomik 12nm filter only fits the 6D.  I haven't been able to find one for the Mark II.

#2 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

I have a modified Canon 6D non mark II.

As Hap Griffin's website indicates the Canon 6D comes from the factory with 80% of the hydrogen alpha line Blocked!!

Hap Griffin is very helpful and will provide you with all the information you need about your Canon factory filters.

See the graph halfway down this page - http://www.imagingin...donfilters.html

#3 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

I would expect these drop in filters to fit all Canon full-frame cameras, except for the new mirrorless R.  But, this is filter out everything except for Ha +/- 6nm, or 650-662nm wavelength.  It does nothing about the lack of sensitivity to these longer wavelengths after it gets past the Ha filter.  Normal cameras filter out long wavelength to remove infrared and the slope of this low-pass filter will remove most of Ha and Sii as well.

To get much Ha, you need the IR filter removed, or better yet get a dedicated astrocam.

Edited by SilverLitz, 14 January 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#4 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

I am against the idea of people using DSLRs or OSC's for narrowband. Here's is your challenge.

With an OSC only 25% of your pixels are capable of capturing Ha data.

And if the Canon 6D Mark II has 80% of the Ha signal blocked like the Canon 6D, than the 25% of your pixels capable of capturing Ha data will have 80% of that ability filtered out.

#5 P_Myers

P_Myers

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=eqtO4fV0TKQ

Canon newest entry into Astro-Photography

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics