•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5 Pro or CEM25p?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DioGo_astro

DioGo_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:15 PM

I'm looking for a first mount for astrophotography, one with which I can grow for at least some years, is decently portable and reliable. 

My budget for the mount is around $1100. The AVX is not an option for me, since I don't live in USA and returning a bad mount would be expensive. I have some friends who use them for AP somewhat successfully, but I'm not up for taking that risk.

At first I would mount a WO ZS73 with a small guidescope and my DSLR, but when time passes I would like to get something like a Mak150 or an 8" SCT for visual and some planetary imaging.

Ahhh, the more I think about it, I feel like the HEQ5 Pro would be the better choice, it looks more bulletproof and sturdy, but the CEM25p has an option for 2" tripod and hard case, and the belt transmission and spring loaded worms look promising.

I appreciate any suggestions or insights, thanks.

Edited by DioGo_astro, 14 January 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#2 syscore

syscore

Aurora

• Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

Search CEM25p on the forums. That should solve your dilemma.

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

I had a CEM25P and was excellent. I've moved up to the CEM60 and I wish I had kept the little CEM25P also as a Grab and Go. I don't think you can go wrong with either the CEM25P or the HQ5 Pro. I would buy whichever one you want without regret. 

Edited by scadvice, 14 January 2020 - 11:22 PM.

• OldManSky and DioGo_astro like this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:15 AM

I had a CEM25P and was excellent. I've moved up to the CEM60 and I wish I had kept the little CEM25P also as a Grab and Go. I don't think you can go wrong with either the CEM25P or the HQ5 Pro. I would buy whichever one you want without regret. 

Exact same situation with me :) I loved my CEM25P. With a GT71 on it plus camera and guidescope, it was a perfect and capable small imaging setup.

#5 divers

divers

Viking 1

• Loc: Apopka, FL

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:14 AM

Exact same situation with me smile.gif I loved my CEM25P. With a GT71 on it plus camera and guidescope, it was a perfect and capable small imaging setup.

It is now carrying a Stellarvue 80 with guidescope and dslr camera :).  A very nice lightweight mount.

Robert

• OldManSky likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

It is now carrying a Stellarvue 80 with guidescope and dslr camera smile.gif.  A very nice lightweight mount.

Robert

Glad to hear it's still getting used regularly!

• divers likes this

#7 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

Loved my past and current CEM25P. I use mine current one with the Esprit 80. My previous one even handled my C-8/E and ES102/FCD100. But really that was really testing it's limits for ap.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0228-3.jpg
  • IMG_0205-2.jpg

• OldManSky likes this

#8 DioGo_astro

DioGo_astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:54 PM

Loved my past and current CEM25P. I use mine current one with the Esprit 80. My previous one even handled my C-8/E and ES102/FCD100. But really that was really testing it's limits for ap.

Those are some good looking rigs! What's the battery powering them?

#9 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

Very happy with my HEQ5.  It is what my previous mount wasn't.  In just about every respect.

If you're in Europe, pick up one with the Rowan belt mod (like I have) from First Light Optics before they are out of the EU.  The pound is down, so prices are good right now.  There is some risk that returning it may be a hassle with the completely unknown customs situation after Jan 31st.

Mine has been rock solid and guiding is unbelievable.

• zxx and DioGo_astro like this

#10 jgmouton

jgmouton

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:57 AM

OP, I am in the same situation as you.  The prices of both mounts are close.  The CEM25P is light and that's a plus for me with my bad back.  On the other hand many people in EU use the HEQ5 successfully which has become a sort of standard.

As regards tracking I don't know how the CEM25P compares with the HEQ5 with Rowan belts...  I need a user-friendly mount because my previous mount was a nightmare and I spent nights and nights trying to solve problems instead of shooting.

But I read here and there that the CEM25P payload is overstated by the manufacturer (27lb) and that it's only half of it realistically when shooting.

Cheers

Edited by jgmouton, 18 January 2020 - 07:06 AM.

#11 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

OP, I am in the same situation as you.  The prices of both mounts are close.  The CEM25P is light and that's a plus for me with my bad back.  On the other hand many people in EU use the HEQ5 successfully which has become a sort of standard.

As regards tracking I don't know how the CEM25P compares with the HEQ5 with Rowan belts...  I need a user-friendly mount because my previous mount was a nightmare and I spent nights and nights trying to solve problems instead of shooting.

But I read here and there that the CEM25P payload is overstated by the manufacturer (27lb) and that it's only half of it realistically when shooting.

Cheers

I imaged successfully numerous times on my CEM25P with a 19-lb. load (6" f/4 Newt plus guidescope and camera rig).  Performance was no different than it was with a GT71 or ZS61 imaging rig.

Note that the CEM25P has a guaranteed +10 arcsec PE spec.

The HEQ5 has no guaranteed PE spec of any kind.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics