•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First M-1 Attempt

astrophotography beginner dslr
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

Would enjoy hearing from those with far more experience than myself what my next steps should be

or how I could improve this with the equip I'm using?

I'll eventually get into auto guiding, plate solving etc, though not til late spring

I've been unable to visually see M-1 thru my 9.25 Celestron; no doubt due to sky glow to my east.

Curious, I went out tonight, did a polar scope only alignment  to see if I could capture it.

I was pleased to say the least for my first attempt.

Focusing was difficult, but did the best I could using live view magnified and manually focusing.

Equip:

Nikon D300s APS-C, Un-moded

200mm f/2.8..Image shot at f/4, 90 secs unguided x10

No Flats used, only Lights, Darks and Bias.

Mount: Skywatcher EQ6R.

DSS to register and stack.

My post was all done in Adobe, though I know I have a long way to go here.

Primarily adjusted Levels, RGB curves, Noise reduction, Blend layer mask for hue/sat, unsharp mask.

I'm scaling the final image to increase it's size, though not sure if this is the best way?

Attached Thumbnails

• Crab-1.jpg
  • Crab-2.jpg

Edited by Blackbelt76, 14 January 2020 - 10:39 PM.

• Starman27, happylimpet and Thaeland like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:54 PM

There does not seem to be any color in the posted picture?    Maybe  something happened in the posting process?

Focus is one key in getting a better picture.  They do make Bahtinov masks for camera lenses.

M1 is a challenging target,  especially at a 200mm focal length.   M31, M42, or M45  are available this time of year and would be an easier place to start.

• Thaeland likes this

#3 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

There does not seem to be any color in the posted picture?    Maybe  something happened in the posting process?

Focus is one key in getting a better picture.  They do make Bahtinov masks for camera lenses.

M1 is a challenging target,  especially at a 200mm focal length.   M31, M42, or M45  are available this time of year and would be an easier place to start.

True; I didn't see any color in the original NEF image.

I don't know if I can capture color w/o a filter and un-moded DSLR?

Manually focusing a 200mm away from "so called" infinity is tricky.

My focus may have slipped during the evening; I probably should have placed a piece of tape on the focus ring. :)

• Thaeland likes this

#4 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

The stars should have some color with your camera even unmodified and without a filter.   Maybe try adding more color saturation?

Manually focusing a camera lens is tricky, and the correct focus can change as temperatures drop.  Sometimes the seeing is poor too, and that can  cause a blur.  The wider field looks fairly good focus wise.

• Thaeland and Blackbelt76 like this

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Skylab

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

Great work! Well done for maximising what your equipment is capable of - thats where the fun and excitement is.

#6 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

You've done really well to get a recognizable M1 in a 200mm lens. 

I use a canon and Backyard EOS from O telescopes to focus. The do the same software for Nikon and a good free trial. Give it a go.

+1 for something bigger and brighter as a start point, M31 should be good at 200mm. M42 likewise but can be difficult because the core is so bright.

Good luck.

#7 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

Great work! Well done for maximising what your equipment is capable of - thats where the fun and excitement is.

Thanks.

That will be my motivation for a while until the weather improves.

I'd like to push my APS-C dslr sensor and 200mm to their limits in what I can capture w/o auto guiding, Ha filters etc...

Will be experimenting with the longest possible unguided exposure with the lowest iso and hopefully find

a happy medium. I am also curious if PEC training will make a difference up to what will probably be a 5 min unguided limit with the EQ6R-Pro.

The learning curve is fun for me, and reproducible results are even more rewarding.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics