•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning DioptRx?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Nothing dramatic going on down here. Rain. Clouds. Rain. Clouds. Rain. Repeat. I've resolved to clean some gear.

So how do you clean DioptRx? It's amazing how dirty the ends of your eyelashes can be! To me at least, the DioptRx isn't as easy to clean as ep's. It's like the surface holds on to dust, grease and funk more than eyepiece glass. I wondered what everyone else was doing because I'm worried I'll damage the surfaces. Thanks in advance! J

#2 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:28 PM

HI...I use DIOPTRX on 4-5 of my eyepieces, so I have faced the cleaning issue, a lot.

So far, the easiest process for me has been

1. Using a blowing air brush to get rid of bits/pieces/dust etc.

2. Soft cotton swab with isopropyl to gently wash the entire surface. Use the another saturated clean swab to pick up any debris.

3. Let it dry

4. Use optically clean cloth (like for glasses) using my breath to fog the lens.

5. Repeat #4 as needed.

So far, no damage and no issues. 

Mike

#3 Jethro777

Jethro777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:32 PM

ROR works extremely well.

1. Blow with a blower (not compressed air)

2. LIGHTLY brush with a new brush for this purpose

3. Apply ROR to a unscented, non perfumed Kleenex or cotton bud and wet it with ROR.

4. Work from the Center to the outside in circular motions, gently turning it as you go to lift the particles. 

5. One bud per motion.  Don't rub.  Ever. 

I have found pure distilled water effective for removing any residual marks if any.

Never clean in the dark or in high humidity.

All the best.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:49 PM

Hi, jmillsbss!

OK, I just did one here...

It's all about the right tool, in this case the spanner wrench. The ARC coated glass singlet comes out easily and then all I did was finger-wash it with free&clear dishwashing liquid straight from the bottle, rinse in sink water and dry off with a Bounty paper towel. No different than washing one's dirty eyeglasses. Indeed, the Dioptrx is exactly that, no more, no less... just a round-cut nice eyeglass lens in a mount... can take all the abuse regular eyeglasses do... no mystique, muss or fuss. This one was absolutely filthy... and now looks perfect, even dark-field illuminated under extremely bright white light.

I have a tub full of old Dioptrx. Since I got my eyes fixed, just don't need them anymore. I store them in a pile in an old rusty coffee can.   Tom

~ click on ~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 107 Cleaning the Dioptrx.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 14 January 2020 - 11:54 PM.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

YIKES! I just discovered something very interesting! The Dioptrx is not plano-cylindrical! It appears to be convex spherical on one side and something like concave cylindrical on the other! I had always (foolishly) assumed one side is flat. This little lens may be more sophisticated than I had originally assumed. Now I'm beginning to think it is made to a more standard eyeglass prescription. with the appropriate "base-curve"... which would actually make sense! Cool!    Tom

On the other hand... I'm glad I don't need them anymore... at least not for now?

PS: Here's my corrected illustration, properly identifying the lens as "astigmatically-corrected singlet"    Tom

~ click on ~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 108 Cleaning the Dioptrx.jpg

#6 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Hi, jmillsbss!

OK, I just did one here...

It's all about the right tool, in this case the spanner wrench. The ARC coated glass singlet comes out easily and then all I did was finger-wash it with free&clear dishwashing liquid straight from the bottle, rinse in sink water and dry off with a Bounty paper towel. No different than washing one's dirty eyeglasses. Indeed, the Dioptrx is exactly that, no more, no less... just a round-cut nice eyeglass lens in a mount... can take all the abuse regular eyeglasses do... no mystique, muss or fuss. This one was absolutely filthy... and now looks perfect, even dark-field illuminated under extremely bright white light.

I have a tub full of old Dioptrx. Since I got my eyes fixed, just don't need them anymore. I store them in a pile in an old rusty coffee can.   Tom

~ click on ~ >>>

Well I don't need the coffee can but you can send me any of those unused 1.00 or 1.25 diopters, if you have any!!!   As to the technical data, I don't fully understand it but, boy, do they work!

And I've noticed there's a "wave" (?) sort of a linear distortion, although I'm sure there's a more correct term for it.  If I look through them handheld and raise it up and down, I notice a kind of "wave" that runs through it horizontally, move it left to right and I don't see it.  Now rotate the glass 90 degrees and I see it when moved side to side but not when I move it vertically.  I don't know but maybe that's the part that corrects astig that you have to "dial it in" to your correct angle.

I thought one side was flat as well.  Perhaps mine it isn't as pronounced since it's only 1.00 power?

As to cleaning, I wondered if I could clean them like I do my mirrors with a distilled water soak, rub and rinse.  I don't want to disassemble mine though!  That's a hundred bucks and it the best piece of kit ( besides my coma corrector!) I currently own!

And when you RE-assemble it, how do you know the difference which face goes which way?   If I did a "soak" cleaning I'd need to know which side goes where.  I'm not gonna disassemble one because I know I'd screw it up.  I'm just curious if it matters which sides which.  Maybe the outer faces have different coatings for in or out?  I still can't believe you just took one apart!!!

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Well I don't need the coffee can but you can send me any of those unused 1.00 or 1.25 diopters, if you have any!!!   As to the technical data, I don't fully understand it but, boy, do they work!

And I've noticed there's a "wave" (?) sort of a linear distortion, although I'm sure there's a more correct term for it.  If I look through them handheld and raise it up and down, I notice a kind of "wave" that runs through it horizontally, move it left to right and I don't see it.  Now rotate the glass 90 degrees and I see it when moved side to side but not when I move it vertically.  I don't know but maybe that's the part that corrects astig that you have to "dial it in" to your correct angle.

I thought one side was flat as well.  Perhaps mine it isn't as pronounced since it's only 1.00 power?

As to cleaning, I wondered if I could clean them like I do my mirrors with a distilled water soak, rub and rinse.  I don't want to disassemble mine though!  That's a hundred bucks and it the best piece of kit ( besides my coma corrector!) I currently own!

And when you RE-assemble it, how do you know the difference which face goes which way?   If I did a "soak" cleaning I'd need to know which side goes where.  I'm not gonna disassemble one because I know I'd screw it up.  I'm just curious if it matters which sides which.  Maybe the outer faces have different coatings for in or out?  I still can't believe you just took one apart!!!

Regarding actually using the Dioptrx. You get one that is at or a bit stronger than your prescription. And rotate it (and focus entire eyepiece) to best null the astigmatism that you see, when looking through the telescope. There may be as many as four different clockings that achieve this. I can provide all the math that goes with that... but just dial it in will get you where you want to be... very ergo-intuitive. Same drill as when the optometrist is refracting your eyes in the office, and asking which looks better.

I measured the Dioptrx and find that it has negative power along one axis and zero power along the orthogonal one. This differs from Zernike astigmatism, which has equal and opposite powers along the orthogonal axes. The Dioptrx is therefore negatively powered (myopically-corrected) at half the power of the labeled astigmatic correction. For example, that 2.00 in my picture is a combination of 2D Zernike astig with -1D Zernike power aka myopic. That is no problem in-use, because you (automatically) re-focus the telescope anyway, when using it. Anyway, those are some of the technicalities.

And the psychology of maintaining regular framed eyeglasses and sunglasses vs the magical Dioptrx... amusing, actually! We tend to casually kick around our eyeglasses all day, every day. Wash them at the sink once or twice and perfectly fine with that until they get pretty grimy. Screwdriver kit bought at Dollar General to repair them if a lens pops out onto the floor. But take that same exact lens mounted for use at the telescope --- and it becomes a sacred delicate optical device. Go figure.

Well, that's about all I know on the subject. Sure, there's more... but getting into the weeds of technical mumbo-jumbo minutia.

It boils down to two choices:

Get the proper Dioptrx and enjoy using it.

Get your eyes fixed so the whole topic becomes blissfully moot!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 114 Tom refracting under the stars.jpg
  • 113 tom eye refraction diopter 80.jpg

#8 Heitman

Heitman

Ranger 4

• Loc: Reeds, NC

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

The Dioptrx clean up fine with some ROR and then with a huff of breath cleaned off with Kimwipes. Works great.

#9 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

The Dioptrx clean up fine with some ROR and then with a huff of breath cleaned off with Kimwipes. Works great.

Okay.  I'll be your huckleberry.  What's ROR?  (I'm gonna be embarrassed when I read the answer!)  Your the second suggestion.

My father worked for Kimberly-Clark for 35 years. During that time, we were literally flush, (pun intended) with free toilet paper, paper towels, shop towels etc.  Now he's retired and HATES buying paper towels.  He says, "All we're gonna do is throw away money.  Literally throwing money in the garbage!"   KimWipes made me think of that.

Ever had any of the shop towels with the hand-degreaser embedded in the material?  He did that.

What about the lens cleaning wipes that have some sort of alcohol or something in them?  Whatever it is, it evaporates very quickly.

#10 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Regarding actually using the Dioptrx. You get one that is at or a bit stronger than your prescription. And rotate it (and focus entire eyepiece) to best null the astigmatism that you see, when looking through the telescope. There may be as many as four different clockings that achieve this. I can provide all the math that goes with that... but just dial it in will get you where you want to be... very ergo-intuitive. Same drill as when the optometrist is refracting your eyes in the office, and asking which looks better.

I measured the Dioptrx and find that it has negative power along one axis and zero power along the orthogonal one. This differs from Zernike astigmatism, which has equal and opposite powers along the orthogonal axes. The Dioptrx is therefore negatively powered (myopically-corrected) at half the power of the labeled astigmatic correction. For example, that 2.00 in my picture is a combination of 2D Zernike astig with -1D Zernike power aka myopic. That is no problem in-use, because you (automatically) re-focus the telescope anyway, when using it. Anyway, those are some of the technicalities.

And the psychology of maintaining regular framed eyeglasses and sunglasses vs the magical Dioptrx... amusing, actually! We tend to casually kick around our eyeglasses all day, every day. Wash them at the sink once or twice and perfectly fine with that until they get pretty grimy. Screwdriver kit bought at Dollar General to repair them if a lens pops out onto the floor. But take that same exact lens mounted for use at the telescope --- and it becomes a sacred delicate optical device. Go figure.

Well, that's about all I know on the subject. Sure, there's more... but getting into the weeds of technical mumbo-jumbo minutia.

It boils down to two choices:

Get the proper Dioptrx and enjoy using it.

Get your eyes fixed so the whole topic becomes blissfully moot!    Tom

Well I can't afford to get my eyes fixed.  I've spent all my money on eyepieces!

• TOMDEY likes this

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

Okay.  I'll be your huckleberry.  What's ROR?  (I'm gonna be embarrassed when I read the answer!)  Your the second suggestion.

My father worked for Kimberly-Clark for 35 years. During that time, we were literally flush, (pun intended) with free toilet paper, paper towels, shop towels etc.  Now he's retired and HATES buying paper towels.  He says, "All we're gonna do is throw away money.  Literally throwing money in the garbage!"   KimWipes made me think of that.

Ever had any of the shop towels with the hand-degreaser embedded in the material?  He did that.

What about the lens cleaning wipes that have some sort of alcohol or something in them?  Whatever it is, it evaporates very quickly.

ROR is a lens cleaning product (Residual Oil Remover) that contains alcohol, water, ammonia, soap, and salt.

The MSDS for the product is on line here: http://www.ror.net/p...ety-data-sheet/

It is an exceptionally good and mild cleaner for removing organic materials from lenses.

Used with pure cotton Q-Tips, it will not harm any lens, whether coated or not.

• jmillsbss likes this

#12 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:35 PM

ROR is a lens cleaning product (Residual Oil Remover) that contains alcohol, water, ammonia, soap, and salt.

The MSDS for the product is on line here: http://www.ror.net/p...ety-data-sheet/

It is an exceptionally good and mild cleaner for removing organic materials from lenses.

Used with pure cotton Q-Tips, it will not harm any lens, whether coated or not.

Well, there you go. Salt?  That's counter-intuitive, on the surface, until one realizes the most sensitive optics ( our eyes ) are constantly being flushed, lubricated and kept from irritation by salt water.   Thank you sir!   Now, I'm off to find some ROR!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics