•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Diagonal for a TEC 140

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rugby

rugby

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

I have had the good fortune of obtaining a TEC 140 recently. I would like to hear from other owners what choice diagonal they made. I am strictly visual with no interest in AP.

#2 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Mariner 2

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

I have used a TV Everbright in the past, and more recently have been using an AP MaxBright diagonal in my TEC 140.  I recently obtained a Baader BBHS dielectric mirror diagonal that I will be testing to see whether it outperforms the AP as some reports suggest.  But I will say that both the TV Everbright and the AP MaxBright are excellent.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:26 AM

I have used a TV Everbright in the past, and more recently have been using an AP MaxBright diagonal in my TEC 140.  I recently obtained a Baader BBHS dielectric mirror diagonal that I will be testing to see whether it outperforms the AP as some reports suggest.  But I will say that both the TV Everbright and the AP MaxBright are excellent.

Jeff, is that the BBHS ‘with’ dielectric overcoating that you just obtained? As in not the cheaper, standard Baader dielectric diagonal. I’m keen to try the new BBHS silver diagonal for myself.

#4 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:31 AM

I have had the good fortune of obtaining a TEC 140 recently. I would like to hear from other owners what choice diagonal they made. I am strictly visual with no interest in AP.

I think you should look at premium diagonals to justify spending so much on a premium refractor. I use the AP Maxbright and TV Everbrite diagonals. They are high quality and would be a nice companion to your TEC140. Baader also make high quality diagonals.

• Illinois likes this

#5 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

I owned a TEC140 and TEC160FL.  I have used an A-P Maxbright, Zeiss Baader Prism,  and Baader BBHS.  All

worked great.  I use the BBHS primarily now for Mono-, and the Prism for Bino- viewing.  I agree that you should

purchase a premium diagonal. I have heard glowing recommendations about the Vernonscope diagonal, but never

did cough up the price for one. Based on hearsay, it might be the best.  You can take all that money you saved by

not getting into astro-photography and purchase an excellent diagonal.

• Tyson M likes this

#6 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

"I recently obtained a Baader BBHS dielectric mirror diagonal that I will be testing to see whether it outperforms the AP as some reports suggest."

Do you have a source/link to such a review?

#7 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

"I recently obtained a Baader BBHS dielectric mirror diagonal that I will be testing to see whether it outperforms the AP as some reports suggest."

Do you have a source/link to such a review?

https://www.cloudyni...-diagonal-r3038

#8 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

Yuri, the person who made your telescope, uses the AP Maxbright diagonal.

• peleuba, Scott in NC and turtle86 like this

#9 Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett

Mariner 2

• Loc: Clayton, California

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

Jeff, is that the BBHS ‘with’ dielectric overcoating that you just obtained? As in not the cheaper, standard Baader dielectric diagonal. I’m keen to try the new BBHS silver diagonal for myself.

Yes, this is the BBHS that has the silver coating with the dielectric overcoat.  I kind of choked on the cost, even used, but I figured with another refractor on the way (my Stowaway is due to be shipped at the end of January) I might as well give the Baader a try.  I am still waiting to get the Baader under the stars with the TEC to compare to the MaxBright.

Jeff

• Allan Wade and j.gardavsky like this

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

I use an AP Maxbright 2" dielectric diagonal with my TEC 140.  Are there better diagonals out there?  Possibly, but this is my favorite of all those that I've used, and if there is indeed something better out there, then I suspect it would be either unaffordable, or else my eyes wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  I'm quite happy with mine, and don't see any need to ever "upgrade."

• turtle86 and Heywood like this

#11 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

I like my premium optics enough where I figured I would get the very best diagonal that can be used in fast and slow scopes. 

After using TV everbright and the AP maxbright, I finally I went with BBHS that has the silver coating with the dielectric overcoat. 

The cost seems exorbitant, which I had to buy new.

Is it worth it? Hard to put a price on on value for the money spent, as that is subjective.  I like the diagonal a lot.  Not sure if it was worth double the price or more from the competition lol. 

• Alan S likes this

#12 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:01 AM

I use an AP Maxbright 2" dielectric diagonal with my TEC 140.  Are there better diagonals out there?  Possibly, but this is my favorite of all those that I've used, and if there is indeed something better out there, then I suspect it would be either unaffordable, or else my eyes wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  I'm quite happy with mine, and don't see any need to ever "upgrade."

Roland guarantees the AP MaxBright to be at least 1/20 wave, says most are around 1/40 wave.

• peleuba, Scott in NC, turtle86 and 1 other like this

#13 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

I was recently researching diagonals and I would say its very difficult to determine comparisons between outside of big reviews like by billp. The comparison posts are often over years, sometimes decades so its hard to be even sure if the products are the same. There are two observations that I would make (about mirrors at least, prisms are beyond me)

The BBHS diagonal was released about 4(5?) years ago and as far as I can tell AP, Televue, Stellarvue etc nobody has made a significant change to their diagonal in response.

The other observation is Takahashi still does not have a dielectric diagonal.

The hobby has its interesting little tidbits.

Edited by nva, 16 January 2020 - 02:24 PM.

• Traveler and j.gardavsky like this

#14 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

AP MB or Everbrite

• turtle86 likes this

#15 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

I like my premium optics enough where I figured I would get the very best diagonal that can be used in fast and slow scopes. 

After using TV everbright and the AP maxbright, I finally I went with BBHS that has the silver coating with the dielectric overcoat. 

The cost seems exorbitant, which I had to buy new.

Is it worth it? Hard to put a price on on value for the money spent, as that is subjective.  I like the diagonal a lot.  Not sure if it was worth double the price or more from the competition lol. 

This thread is good timing as I am looking around for a new diagonal for my TEC140...I have primarily been using the same TV Everbrite for about 13 years, which I already owned when I purchased the TEC new in 2009...no complaints over the last decade, but am always looking to maximize the telescopes capabilities.  Like you, my thoughts on any optical accessory for the TEC are go premium- I spent a serious chunk of change for the scope and don't want to compromise what the scope is capable of, or my comfort (that's what weather is for lol.gif )-  I'm not using $100 eyepieces with poor eye relief.

Regarding cost of the BBHS silver, $500 isn't chump change...but neither was my 13mm Ethos....so while the AP or TV diagonals are definitely cheaper, the BBHS isn't out of scope price-wise with eyepieces I own and use regularly.  I choose to spend money each year to take extended trips under dark skies...I spent money on a quality tripod and mount...as I enter the second decade with the TEC140, I am seriously considering the BBHS silver.

I appreciate your comment about not being sure if it was worth double the price (which isn't completely accurate compared to the $320 TV or AP price) and also the subjectivity of value propositions,as these are the same discussions we have about eyepieces and telescopes i.e. what is the last 2-5% in performance worth in terms of cost? 

Anyway, I would love to hear more about your specific experiences with the diagonal you like a lot- would you buy it again or revert to the TV/AP?

Cheers,

#16 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:38 PM

This thread is good timing as I am looking around for a new diagonal for my TEC140...I have primarily been using the same TV Everbrite for about 13 years, which I already owned when I purchased the TEC new in 2009...no complaints over the last decade, but am always looking to maximize the telescopes capabilities.  Like you, my thoughts on any optical accessory for the TEC are go premium- I spent a serious chunk of change for the scope and don't want to compromise what the scope is capable of, or my comfort (that's what weather is for lol.gif )-  I'm not using $100 eyepieces with poor eye relief.

Regarding cost of the BBHS silver, $500 isn't chump change...but neither was my 13mm Ethos....so while the AP or TV diagonals are definitely cheaper, the BBHS isn't out of scope price-wise with eyepieces I own and use regularly.  I choose to spend money each year to take extended trips under dark skies...I spent money on a quality tripod and mount...as I enter the second decade with the TEC140, I am seriously considering the BBHS silver.

I appreciate your comment about not being sure if it was worth double the price (which isn't completely accurate compared to the $320 TV or AP price) and also the subjectivity of value propositions,as these are the same discussions we have about eyepieces and telescopes i.e. what is the last 2-5% in performance worth in terms of cost? 

Anyway, I would love to hear more about your specific experiences with the diagonal you like a lot- would you buy it again or revert to the TV/AP?

Cheers,

Well the diagonal was primarily purchased to provide the best views and chew up a bit of backfocus, as I do not like racking out my focusers very far (I use it along with a hi-hat adapter typically). 

As for the views, it is a stunning diagonal.   It has given some of my best deep sky views ever- but that could be because of the conditions.  The diagonal is at least as good as the AP maxbright and TV everbright. 

I havent done side by side testing but others have here, and I know I have premium quality for my optics.

I would not revert back to the TV or AP, unless I needed more infocus with a particular scope then I might look at acquiring another AP maxbright for that particular scope only.

#17 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

Roland guarantees the AP MaxBright to be at least 1/20 wave, says most are around 1/40 wave.

Good enough for me.  

#18 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

I use the AP MaxBright and have a 2" Baader dielectric w/ Clicklock as a back up...both work very well.

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Edited by BKBrown, 18 January 2020 - 10:00 PM.

#19 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

My thinking exactly.  

• Heywood likes this

#20 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

The scientist in me wants to know why everyone likes the BBHS so much. So silver is superior to aluminum, this much is true but dielectric at its highest performance is more reflective then silver OR aluminum. The substrate of a mirror that small should not really matter in terms of temperature management. The thing that interests me is that its made out of Sitall, which was developed out of the soviet union, so are these mirror created out of an optical shop in Russia or a former soviet republic and just really nice? Do they say they are made in China anywhere?

Questions, questions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics