•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Image (Horsehead + Flame) - Looking for feedback

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pedram

Pedram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edmonton, Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

Hey everyone!

This is the result of my first imaging session. I'm new to the hobby, and I followed veteran users' advice which was starting with Ha imaging for now. I took this from a white zone on the light pollution map (central Edmonton) with a 71% moon in the sky.  Total exposure was 2 hours (24 * 5min) guided. You can see the larger image here.

I'm still new to PixInsight and all I did in terms of processing was stretching, HDR Multiscale Tranform and ACDNR. Given that this is my first try, I'm very happy with the result. But, I noticed a couple of issues myself. Alnitak looks a bit weird, probably because of my processing. And it seems that my polar alignment was not accurate enough even though I did a drift alignment with PHD2. The stars are not perfectly round.

I'd love to hear your opinion. What could I do better? What can I work on for next time?

This is my equipment by the way:

SW Esprit 100ED

SW EQ6-R

ZWO 1600MM Pro

ZWO EFW

ZWO 36mm filters (LRGB + HOS)

Orion Mini 50 mm Guide Scope

Orion StarShoot AutoGuider

Best,

Pedram

Attached Thumbnails

• HorseHead - PixInsight + Photoshop - Tiny.jpg

• Carol L, zjc26138, nofxrx and 19 others like this

#2 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

• Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:11 AM

Looks great! Congrats!

The pattern around Alnitak has nothing to do with your processing. It's the camera. The ASI1600MM Pro is known for it. It's one of that camera's biggest weaknesses. Just do what I do: fix it in Photoshop! :)

• Swordfishy and Pedram like this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:23 AM

That may be the best first image I've ever seen.  Seriously.

Alnitak is a unique problem.  Just ignore it for right now.

Polar alignment is best done with a small camera that does platesolving to locate the North Celestial Pole, and superimpose your mounts RA axis.  Way faster than drift, just as good for all practical purposes.  I have the $300 PoleMaster, very easy solution.  Only slightly harder is using Sharpcap Pro, and it's less costly.  No experience with it.

But those stars are good by me.  "Pixel peeping" will drive you crazy.

Do you have this book?

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 January 2020 - 01:26 AM.

• Eric Horton, Aurneth, Swordfishy and 1 other like this

#4 Eric Horton

Eric Horton

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

Sharpcap is definitely the way to go. Very easy to use and the price is right. Due to a lack of drivers you may have a problem with the Orion camera on sharpcap. I finally had to upgrade because it just wouldn't work and finally stopped working in phd2.

• Swordfishy, Huangdi and Pedram like this

#5 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

If that is your first real astro image then we are seeing a great imager rising up here! Congratulations with your first and impressive image here! Wish I would have started like you :waytogo:

#6 mic1970

mic1970

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

Very nice.

• Pedram likes this

#7 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

That is excellent for a first image. I would not worry too much about the stars, just yet, you will need to get better at Polar Alignment and Guiding, but those can wait. 

From a processing standpoint, here's hopefully some constructive feedback - I think you are clipping the black point minimally, but definitely. The background is a bit too dark - this region is exceptionally bright with prominent Ha. I would go back and re-do the stretching a bit and you will be able to bring out more structure to the Ha regions.

CS!

#8 Pedram

Pedram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

Looks great! Congrats!

The pattern around Alnitak has nothing to do with your processing. It's the camera. The ASI1600MM Pro is known for it. It's one of that camera's biggest weaknesses. Just do what I do: fix it in Photoshop! smile.gif

Thank you! I had no idea about this. I was sure I'm doing something wrong laugh.gif

That may be the best first image I've ever seen.  Seriously.

Alnitak is a unique problem.  Just ignore it for right now.

Polar alignment is best done with a small camera that does platesolving to locate the North Celestial Pole, and superimpose your mounts RA axis.  Way faster than drift, just as good for all practical purposes.  I have the $300 PoleMaster, very easy solution.  Only slightly harder is using Sharpcap Pro, and it's less costly.  No experience with it.

But those stars are good by me.  "Pixel peeping" will drive you crazy.

Do you have this book?

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Thank you very much!

Good to know about Alnitak. I'll search the forum and read more about it.

About polar alignment, unfortunately, I shoot from balcony in a south-facing apartment. I have a fairly wide view (140 to 150 degrees), but I don't see west and east horizons which makes even drift alignment challenging.

I don't have the book. Looks interesting! Added it to my cart grin.gif

Sharpcap is definitely the way to go. Very easy to use and the price is right. Due to a lack of drivers you may have a problem with the Orion camera on sharpcap. I finally had to upgrade because it just wouldn't work and finally stopped working in phd2.

I need a view of Polaris for Sharpcap, right? I explained above, I cannot see Polaris from my balcony :(

If that is your first real astro image then we are seeing a great imager rising up here! Congratulations with your first and impressive image here! Wish I would have started like you waytogo.gif

This maybe the best compliment I've ever received. Thank you very much :)

Very nice.

Thank you :)

That is excellent for a first image. I would not worry too much about the stars, just yet, you will need to get better at Polar Alignment and Guiding, but those can wait. 

From a processing standpoint, here's hopefully some constructive feedback - I think you are clipping the black point minimally, but definitely. The background is a bit too dark - this region is exceptionally bright with prominent Ha. I would go back and re-do the stretching a bit and you will be able to bring out more structure to the Ha regions.

CS!

Thank you. Since I don't have a view of Polaris, and my east and west horizons are blocked (15 to 20 degrees each) polar alignment is a bit challenging. I'll definitely spend more time on it next time.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I had the same feeling, but Alnitak getting more weird was stopping me from making it brighter. I thought I'm overdoing it. But based on other comments, it seems that I shouldn't worry about that for now.

• Swordfishy likes this

#9 Pedram

Pedram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Perhaps I should say this is my first image ever. I shot it with my stock 40D without any filters or anything before my ZWO camera arrived. 1 hour exposure (60 * 1min). I had a hard time dealing with LP and the image didn't end up great. Probably the sub exposures were too long.

Attached Thumbnails

• M42 - Final - PixInsight - Photoshop - Tiny.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, kisstek, Swordfishy and 1 other like this

#10 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Wow.

Why bother with the ASI?  You're getting great results with the DSLR.

• Swordfishy likes this

#11 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

Great first image!  Scott

• Swordfishy likes this

#12 Pedram

Pedram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:16 AM

Wow.

Why bother with the ASI?  You're getting great results with the DSLR.

Haha thank you. Light pollution is brutal here. I had a hard time processing the DSLR image and it ended up looking cartoonish.

Great first image!  Scott

Thank you, Scott :)

• Swordfishy likes this

#13 BobNY

BobNY

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:10 PM

Wow, those are great! Looking forward to you 3rd, 4th and beyond.

• Swordfishy likes this

#14 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Ditto! This is great. Ha is AMAZING aint it?

Love your attempt! Looking forward to more. 

Pixinsight is easy to pick up if you try, but then incredibly complex! I love it because we can continue to go back, start afresh with old data and get completely different results as we improve in skill. It is like Magic!

Keep it up!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#15 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hey Pedran,

I only have one comment.

Super nice Horsehead image.   Wonderful.

Enjoy!

#16 ConnorM

ConnorM

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Amazing job. I live in the South of Edmonton and deal with loads of LED pollution from the Henday. 

It is good to see such amazing work from the inner city. 

That looks pretty good for such a low exposure time.  I feel with additional exposure time you could help resolve some of the noise in the image background. 

I noticed the stars have a bit of shape to them as well, It is hard to see if that is from the mount/guiding or polar alignment issues. 

Edited by ConnorM, 19 January 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#17 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

really pretty,nice work 

#18 Pedram

Pedram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

Wow, those are great! Looking forward to you 3rd, 4th and beyond.

Thank you very much :)

Ditto! This is great. Ha is AMAZING aint it?

Love your attempt! Looking forward to more. 

Pixinsight is easy to pick up if you try, but then incredibly complex! I love it because we can continue to go back, start afresh with old data and get completely different results as we improve in skill. It is like Magic!

Keep it up!

Thank you! Ha is wonderful!

I've started using PixInsight. The UX is horrible, but I can see how poweful it is.

Hey Pedran,

I only have one comment.

Super nice Horsehead image.   Wonderful.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much :)

Amazing job. I live in the South of Edmonton and deal with loads of LED pollution from the Henday. 

It is good to see such amazing work from the inner city. 

That looks pretty good for such a low exposure time.  I feel with additional exposure time you could help resolve some of the noise in the image background. 

I noticed the stars have a bit of shape to them as well, It is hard to see if that is from the mount/guiding or polar alignment issues. 

Thank you.

I really appreciate your feedback. That makes sense. I'll go back horsehead it for a longer exposure for sure. I was trying to test everything and see how things work out. Next time, I'll plan for a longer exposure.

I definitely need to work on guiding/alignment. My limited view makes polar alignment a bit challenging. If we get a clear night, I can give it another try and hopefully improve it.

really pretty,nice work 

Thank you :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics