•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA 8 Collimation help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hebar

hebar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:16 AM

Hello All!

My images showed tight stars in the center and elongated stars with different directions in the corners with two different cameras (asi1600 and asi183). I know for a fact the ASI1600 does not have tilt. Using ccdinspector it showed tilt so I believe it is out of collimation.

Using a defocused Star I attenpted to collimatate the scope. The inner most ring was slightly off-center favoring the left side so that confirmed it was slightly out of collimation. As I turned the push/pull adjustment screws by 1/2 to a full turn I barely saw the inner ring move. I kind of got lost with how much I turned each screw because i was not seeing much change.

For those that have attempted collimating their RASA. How sensitive was each adjustment? Did you have to loosen/tighten the screws a lot to see noticable change in collimation? Do you have a better strategy than what the manual says?

Clear skies! Thanks!

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:30 AM

Hello All!

My images showed tight stars in the center and elongated stars with different directions in the corners with two different cameras (asi1600 and asi183). I know for a fact the ASI1600 does not have tilt. Using ccdinspector it showed tilt so I believe it is out of collimation.

Using a defocused Star I attenpted to collimatate the scope. The inner most ring was slightly off-center favoring the left side so that confirmed it was slightly out of collimation. As I turned the push/pull adjustment screws by 1/2 to a full turn I barely saw the inner ring move. I kind of got lost with how much I turned each screw because i was not seeing much change.

For those that have attempted collimating their RASA. How sensitive was each adjustment? Did you have to loosen/tighten the screws a lot to see noticable change in collimation? Do you have a better strategy than what the manual says?

Clear skies! Thanks!

I have a C8 RASA.  Haven't collimated it, sorry.  But this may help.

Started out with a similar problem with stars.  So bad they were donuts at the edge sometimes.  The tilt was not in collimation or the camera, it was in the Celestron adapter and/or my spacer.  Fixed it with a one piece PreciseParts adapter that replaced both.  Here's the result and more info.

https://www.cloudyni...sis-pp-adaptor/

You'd want this.

https://celestron-si...dapter_Rev1.pdf

Final image.  Click on it for acquisition details.

https://www.astrobin.../full/025umc/C/

Edited by bobzeq25, 15 January 2020 - 01:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics