•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Bino Bandit Goes Outside the Box...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:58 AM

Cory says it really works well too...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4236.JPG

• mooreorless, Corcaroli78, ianatcn and 5 others like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:51 AM

That would be useful at night if your area is light-polluted. And in the daytime if sun and sky glare are problematic. And some people are more distracted by ambient light than others. If you are easily distracted (most of us are) --- $20 and free shipping - certainly worth trying! Don't like it... just throw it out! (Hmmm... maybe I'll buy one... to do list for approaching morning... after my three mile hike thru the woods!)   Tom

• edwincjones, Corcaroli78 and Stellarfire like this

#3 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:44 AM

... they don’t stretch well around the larger eyepieces that many of my binoculars fans to have. I use a hood, though gravity is not kind when looking towards the zenith ;-)
For daytime use on my birding binoculars they are invaluable!

Peter

Edited by PEterW, 15 January 2020 - 06:44 AM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#4 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

Bino Bandit has become a mandatory add in to my binos, works perfect in my 8x42 and in my Zeiss 10x50 but the biggest effect is in my 15x70. i need to pull it hard to fit the eyepieces, but once installed, it improves a lot my observations from my city location.

Binos_5.jpg

Binos_2.jpg

Carlos

• Albie, mooreorless, John Gauvreau and 2 others like this

#5 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:42 AM

I like my Bino Bandit on this Swarovski binocular. I have used on the other binoculars etc.  SMark I would think that would help Cory out quite a bit looking at the shadow on the picture.

Carlos very nice pictures showing the different way to use this Bino Bandit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 11-20-16  turkey, eyepiece cover 036 (1280x960).jpg

Edited by mooreorless, 15 January 2020 - 07:50 AM.

• Foss likes this

#6 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Mariner 2

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

IMHO the wise use of the Bino Bandit is on "large" binos such as the 15x70 and the big eyes in the above photos.  Smaller roofs and porros, say around 8x30, 7x35, even some 40-42s, can be held with hands cupped around the eyepieces.  This achieves the wonderful side light blockage of the Bino Bandit plus these two benefits:  steadier hold braced to cheeks and brow; no bulk and finicky handling of adding a floppy neoprene accessory to an otherwise compact and easy handling model. 

I have quite narrow IPD and deep eye sockets.  The Bino Bandit allows me to use models that I otherwise could not, because I can fold down or screw down the eye cup all the way, without generating view-ruining side light. 

(Steve's beautiful Swarovski SLC is a special case.  Normally I would say ditch the Bandit and learn to cup your hands around the eyepieces.  On a small bino like that, you would gain both a steadier view and easier handling.  But note that the SLC focus knob is fully forward on the axle.  So if you want to be focusing a lot, the Bandit is perfect for that particular small bino ... but IMHO not others.  By the way, using my SLC I hardly focus, almost always viewing distant targets, so I cup my hands and it's great.) 

One more opinion:  There is a suggestion above that side light is a matter of individual preference.  I disagree.  We obsess over baffling, blackening, prism leaks, contrast, etc., praising and paying large sums for alpha models that show us only the target and no other light.  IMHO when you hold with cupped hands on smaller binos or add a Bandit to larger ones, you are in all cases (not individual preference) making your view more alpha. 

Edited by Neil Sanford, 15 January 2020 - 10:15 AM.

• Corcaroli78, Stellarfire and ihf like this

#7 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

I use 'em and they work quite well, especially if you hover over your eyepieces. No problem stretching around lenses. With objectives, that's a different story ;>)

Obie 12x60, 20x80, 25x100

I've even used them on the lenses on a binoviewer.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 15 January 2020 - 12:39 PM.

#8 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

... they don’t stretch well around the larger eyepieces that many of my binoculars fans to have. I use a hood, though gravity is not kind when looking towards the zenith ;-)
For daytime use on my birding binoculars they are invaluable!

Peter

Cory Suddarth wrote me...

"Don't laugh! A small mod on the eyepieces (of the nicely refurbished 20x120) and wha-la!"

laugh.gif

#9 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

Just ordered one to try on my IS 15x50s.....cool.gif

#10 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

Just ordered one to try on my IS 15x50s.....cool.gif

I tend to keep my Bino Bandit attached to my 15x50 IS. 

• Mr. Bill likes this

#11 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:24 AM

IMHO the wise use of the Bino Bandit is on "large" binos such as the 15x70 and the big eyes in the above photos.  Smaller roofs and porros, say around 8x30, 7x35, even some 40-42s, can be held with hands cupped around the eyepieces.  This achieves the wonderful side light blockage of the Bino Bandit plus these two benefits:  steadier hold braced to cheeks and brow; no bulk and finicky handling of adding a floppy neoprene accessory to an otherwise compact and easy handling model. 

.....IMHO when you hold with cupped hands on smaller binos or add a Bandit to larger ones, you are in all cases (not individual preference) making your view more alpha. 

Tha is exactly my assessment, with small binos we can use the hands, but moving to heavier binos like the 15x70, the bino bandit helps to block the stray light, so we do not need to use the hands as eyecup, moving the support point to a better place (in case of hand held). The Bino bandit has improved significantly the performance of my 15x70, its more enjoyable, a immersive experience.  I use it also with glasses and the binos retracted eyecups without any issue.

Here a pic with my gone Skymasters.  Worked very well, better than the current Helios IF

BB_1.jpg
BB_2.jpg

Carlos

• Cali and j.gardavsky like this

#12 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:12 PM

I’m completely on board.  Once I tried them I was hooked.  I now have two bino bandits, each of which stays attached to a different binocular.  Transforms night time binocular observing.

• Tyson M and Cali like this

#13 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Found they work great on my BV's and Binoculars. 

• Cali likes this

#14 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

Found they work great on my BV's and Binoculars. 

Hi Mike,  Have you tried them on your APM 100mm 45 BT and if so what is your assessment? 

Rick

#15 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Clearly made daytime viewing more enjoyable on my 15x50 IS.

waytogo.gif

• SMark and ArsMachina like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics