•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Voyager problem since Windows 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:35 AM

Everything has been working well with Windows 7, except the Web Sever of Web Dashboard. As Microsoft is quitting Windows 7 and as I was suspecting the problem with Web Server was due to the ageing Windows 7, I have upgraded my Mount side PC to Windows 10 last night. 

BIG MISTAKE!

Since the upgrade to Windows 10, Voyager starts playing up. Basically Voyager and PHD2 always try to open their own instance of the AP Mach1GTO mount driver. Because only one driver can connect to the mount at any one time, either Voyager or PHD2 would complain about not being able to connect to the mount.

The problem seems to be with Voyager though, as PHD2 can quite happily share the driver with SGPro and AP Jogger. So there is something about Voyager that is causing this problem.

I have tried various administrator settings (admin mode for Voyager, for PHD, for both, off for both) - but it's the same.

It's getting frustrating.

Voyager is very good with the focusing routine but without being able to connect to the mount at the same time as PHD it is useless to me.

frown.gif

Edited by Henry from NZ, 15 January 2020 - 05:35 AM.

#2 kurbs

kurbs

Vostok 1

• Loc: 60014

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:52 AM

Have you checked to see if the ports are using the same number? Port conflict will cause that. You can check that in the Device Manager and change it.

Windows 10 seems to think it knows better than the users. It will auto assign things. Also, if the device manager shows a generic Windows driver, you may need to manually force it to use the driver provided. Otherwise it will keep using its generic driver and cause issues.This has happened to me numerous times.

Some times I have even had to go into the Registry and make changes on Windows 10 to be able to have some drivers load and work properly. I would have to look at it.

Are both drivers installed as 32 bit or 64 bit or is 1 a 32 and the other 64? If so you may want to set the 64 bit to run in 32, or vice versa and see if that helps.

I would need to see the system setup to make better determination. But if the Voyager driver is flaky at 64 bit when it worked on 32, it may be a simple re-install of the 32 bit driver in the proper folder in Windows. It can also be easily checked by running the driver in Compatibility Mode for 32 bit if it was installed a s a 64 bit. 

Edited by kurbs, 15 January 2020 - 05:55 AM.

#3 anon1354732

anon1354732

Mercury

• -----
  • Loc: Turin - Italy

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:17 AM

Dear Henry,

there are a lot of users that have not problems with your similar setup and windows 10 so I think the best solution is to ask support. Like I said for the Web Dashboard ... allow us to help you on solve.

Mail, whatsapp and cellular phone you have in the Official license mail received.

We will happy to help you on solve your problem.

All the best

LO

• Jeff Struve and gundark like this

#4 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

Going from Window 7 to Windows 10 IMHO is going to cause you endless troubles; best to stay with Windows 7 basically forever ... here's why:

There are four "parts" to any astronomy program running under windows, like there are "parts" on your car.  In your car there is the engine, the transmission, the wheels and the controls.  If you update any of them you will run into problems with the others ... if you upgrade your engine you will be putting additional stress on the transmission and wear on the wheels; if you upgrade your transmission you will be causing problems for the engine, etc.  That's why you buy a car in one unit rather than a kit car.

Astronomy programs under Windows have four parts that all programs need to get working right:

- The USB drivers connecting hardware to the computer

- The ASCOM interface connecting drivers to the program

- The program itself with whatever system libraries it will be calling

- Any other programs that the main program needs to interact with

Each one of these has new issues under Windows 10 that didn't exist under Windows 7 ... drivers under Windows 10 need to be signed, under Windows 7 they did not; and signing drivers is a much more involved process for small companies.  The ASCOM layer has changed due to changes in the COM structure between Windows 7 and Windows 10, etc ..

Basically, once everything is working properly under Windows 7 it's really best IMHO to stay with that and resist the upgrade bug.  If possible I'd even suggest reverting with a backup to Windows 7 for your computer ...

Best!

• mikefulb likes this

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

I personally don't agree with the above. I am running Windows 10 just fine on a machine that is well over 6 years old. If you can upgrade, I would. There may be cases like Henry's where problems crop up. Those problems may or may not be solvable.

But Windows 10 can be removed if the upgrade doesn't go well.

If you intend to have a machine on the internet in any way shape or form, I would get off Windows 7 immediately if not sooner.

• psandelle, jdupton, bobzeq25 and 2 others like this

#6 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

best to stay with Windows 7 basically forever

Basically, once everything is working properly under Windows 7 it's really best IMHO to stay with that and resist the upgrade bug.  If possible I'd even suggest reverting with a backup to Windows 7 for your computer ...

This is a dangerous suggestion. Windows 7 is end of life, and will receive no new security updates after this monthly cycle. People really need to stop suggesting this. Its really bad. 

Voyager works wonderfully on Windows 10. 

• psandelle, Madratter, bobzeq25 and 1 other like this

#7 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

When I see the word upgrade I cringe. 

It would be much more likely to work well if you do a clean install, soup to nuts. Yup, format the drive and start fresh. 

it will feel like a new computer. 

• psandelle likes this

#8 Henry from NZ

Henry from NZ

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:43 AM

Thanks to Leo, who has logged into my computer via Teamviewer, the problems are all fixed.

As it turns out, part of the problem is during the upgrade to Windows 10, some of the settings are corrupted. Voyager and all the drivers needs to be reinstalled.

Then there are also some settings which need changing - I don't honestly know what those settings are, but Leo very expertly fixed them.

The most difficult problem was to do with the web server. At the end, Leo figured out that for my setup, the port that I need to use is 8081, not 8080 or 80. Once the port is set up properly, the internal web server is also working!

So I am a very grateful and pleased customer of Leo's

*Thumbs up*

Edited by Henry from NZ, 16 January 2020 - 05:44 AM.

• psandelle, Madratter, rockstarbill and 3 others like this

#9 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

Great to hear, Henry. Leo is a great guy! 

• psandelle, Madratter and bigeastro like this

#10 bigeastro

bigeastro

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:54 PM

Welcome to Windows 10 :(  Updates are even more fun from time to time......  Ultimately you had to do it.  Turn off automatic update and do them manually.   Just saying...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics