•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CCD search

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

So, ive been seriously considering switching to a CCD camera.
Im a Dsrl user all my astrophotography life, so, i never had any kind of experience or see one in action and therefore i dont know if the investment is worth or not.
Anyways, if i hit the plug, it will always be a color one. Im aware of the superior quality of mono, but, due to my professional situation, my astro nights are simply like this: one night, from time to time. I need to do a target completely one a given night and thats it. I dont have multiple nights for LRGB or Narrowband.
I had before, a similar situation with a modified Canon 450D to mono with all the adapters and filters for LRGB and Narrowband. It was a complete disaster. I dont have the time to do all the exposures, darks, bias and flats for each filter.
For what ive been looking, for my Takahashi fsq 106, a 16200 based chip camera is the correct one, but i also saw on some field calculator programs, that this sensor will get me oversampled image of targets.
Im very green on all this new philosophy, which is very different from DSLR.
Im also looking into the new ZWO ASI 2600 MC Pro, although there is no test yet with this new camera.
Im a little lost.
I also have the focal reducer 0.73x for the Tak and the extender 1.6X.
Can you help?

Edited by Emanuel, 15 January 2020 - 08:37 AM.

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

Are you sure you are looking for a CCD? The new cameras are CMOS and are very sensitive. Also some CCD chips are not being made anymore. 

• Emanuel likes this

#3 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

First of all, I think with a FSQ106ED and the ATIK16200, you will be producing under-sampled (not over-sampled) data. Even assuming that you have really bad seeing from where you are imaging, you will still be "well-sampled" and not over-sampled. If you are over-sampled with that set up, I suggest you look for other areas to image from. 

Next, assuming you are looking at both CMOS and CCDs and the fact that you have a large imaging circle, you can go with a large chip CCD or CMOS camera - so any of the full-frame chips that they have is going to be suitable with your scope, so pick one that suits you.

Between a CCD and CMOS, it is true that astrophotography does seem to be moving towards CMOS, so if you do want to future proof yourself, you may want to consider CMOS cameras and not CCD cameras. On the other hand, you will find good deals on used CCD cameras - they are not bad cameras and still produce very good images, its just that in a few years time, their value may be that of a paperweight, but you if you can justify buying cheap right now for the next few years, it may not be a bad option financially. I also feel (personally, this is not to instigate a fight between CCD and CMOS and also really shows my age somewhat in this area), but CCDs produce repeatable data making calibration a lot simpler (again, don't hold me to this, this my personal opinion based on my experience with CCD cameras and a very early version of the ZWO 1600 camera). 

CS!

• Emanuel likes this

#4 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

See what i mean? Under-sampled i would be instead of over-sampled. I have a lot to learn.
The place were i have my scope is a typical rural sky, with a bortle 3 sky or maybe between 3 and 4.
Cmos or ccd its fine, although, like you guys say, cmos is getting better and better and maybe is the right choice.
New Atik 16200 is a little more than what i wanted to spend, but maybe a second hand one can be a good choice.

Edited by Emanuel, 15 January 2020 - 01:51 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics