•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie is so stuck

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

I'm about a year into solar visual and trying to get started with imaging. I have the ZWO 183 on a Lunt 80Ha SS. But to start I put a Baader film on my ETX 90 so I could play with the camera. Seeing was crap but doesn't matter at this point.

I got the camera mounted, interfaced it with the laptop and got an image on screen. So far so good. I recorded a few frames and this is where the trouble is. Where did my vid go? I can't find it anywhere.

Shouls I be using something other than what ZWO provides for recording? BTW their manual is awful.  Should I use SharpCap instead.

I downloaded AS2 and Registax but that's the next step.

I really need the Simon Sez version of how to do this. Any help please?

• hopskipson likes this

#2 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Sharpcap or Firecapture are probably the favorites. imo

Edited by astro_1, 15 January 2020 - 01:25 PM.

#3 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

I got the camera mounted, interfaced it with the laptop and got an image on screen. So far so good. I recorded a few frames and this is where the trouble is. Where did my vid go? I can't find it anywhere.

Right hand side of the ASICAP screen --

Capture > Path

That is where the program is told to store your images

• Jeff Struve likes this

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

I'm about a year into solar visual and trying to get started with imaging. I have the ZWO 183 on a Lunt 80Ha SS. But to start I put a Baader film on my ETX 90 so I could play with the camera. Seeing was crap but doesn't matter at this point.

Shouls I be using something other than what ZWO provides for recording? BTW their manual is awful.  Should I use SharpCap instead.

I downloaded AS2 and Registax but that's the next step.

I really need the Simon Sez version of how to do this. Any help please?

I had to laugh when I read this.  When I started planetary imaging the same thing happened to me.  I was like what the heck, where's the video? I was using sharpcap.

I finally searched the computer and found the folder with the files.  Good luck with your imaging.

#5 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

I use SharpCap. If you download it, up on the task bar, click 'File', then 'SharpCap Settings'. That will open up another window with seven headings. Click 'Filenames'. First thing you'll see there is "Save Captured Files To". Right there you can type in where you want those captured files to be saved. I have two drives on this Dell Laptop ... well, three if you count the SSD drive. So in that box I have D:\ That saves the videos to my D drive. I keep that drive for nothing else but astronomy videos. Those videos are large files, so after a few sessions I copy the videos over to an external hard drive I bought at WalMart and delete them from my Laptop. That keeps everything fresh ... no clutter. By the way, the file (in my case) is saved in this format 13_30_18, for example. The 13 is the hour( ie 1 o'clock), the 30 is the minutes past the hour ( so, 1;30 PM) the 18 is the seconds past 1:30 PM.  Also, along with that video file two other files are saved: a log file called Camera Settings  ie a Text document of the settings you used for the capture ... and a histogram file,

I don't use FireCapture ... but I'm pretty sure it would be much the same.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 15 January 2020 - 07:11 PM.

#6 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

I've located the files grin.gif but still struggling with data capture. I know Malveaux has tutorial vids online but none are of the data capture process. I'm stumbling around with this thing and getting frustrated. I've looked for a "dummies guide" but haven't found anything yet. I really need a step by step for using the ASI program to use the camera. I'm jut pushing buttons and hoping something happens. ZWOs forum doesn't have such a thread, at least I haven't found one. So can anyone throw me a rope I'm drowning.

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

I've located the files grin.gif but still struggling with data capture. I know Malveaux has tutorial vids online but none are of the data capture process. I'm stumbling around with this thing and getting frustrated. I've looked for a "dummies guide" but haven't found anything yet. I really need a step by step for using the ASI program to use the camera. I'm jut pushing buttons and hoping something happens. ZWOs forum doesn't have such a thread, at least I haven't found one. So can anyone throw me a rope I'm drowning.

I'll make a new acquisition video with FireCapture hopefully this coming week. This Acquisition video will cover everything from start to the end video file. That video file is what is used in my last tutorial on rapid processing, so it will tie them together for a complete process and replace my previous tutorial. My old tutorial used SharpCap and two exposures (two videos). So hang in there! Hopefully some of this will help you out.

Very best,

• hopskipson likes this

#8 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

I'll make a new acquisition video with FireCapture hopefully this coming week. This Acquisition video will cover everything from start to the end video file. That video file is what is used in my last tutorial on rapid processing, so it will tie them together for a complete process and replace my previous tutorial. My old tutorial used SharpCap and two exposures (two videos). So hang in there! Hopefully some of this will help you out.

Very best,

Name your favorite beverage!

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

Name your favorite beverage!

Cheap Canadian LTD bourbon with some Lite Sweet & Sour mix. lol.gifgrin.gifflowerred.gif

I learned after a few expensive scotches to not bother with the expensive super delicious stuff, as I wouldn't have pennies for anything else!

If the weather holds out, I should be able to come up with something Sunday or Monday.

Very best,

#10 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

I prefer FireCapture. Among other features, you can script it which is handy for making animations - for instance, acquire 15 sec video, wait 2 minutes, acquire 15 sec, etc.

AutoStakkert!3 for stacking. I like AstraImage for initial processing, mainly because the deconvolution is fantastic. It also has a few multi-scale / wavelet methods.

Edited by FlankerOneTwo, 19 January 2020 - 11:31 PM.

#11 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Here you go:

https://www.cloudyni...-jan-20th-2020/

Hope this will help you get started!

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics