•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WHERE TO BUY REFRACTOR ASSEMBLY KITS 80MM?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Does any company sell Refractor Telescope kits similar to the 80mm Achromat kit that University Optics sold back in 1989 - 1991? I'm talking about a kit with an air-spaced coated lens mounted in a cell, plus telescope tube and focuser and you assemble it yourself. Very difficult if not impossible to find. 

Doesn't have to be anything special, I would like something easy to put together without requiring a machine shop, more like a dining room table with just needing basic tools. Looking for something to play with and have some fun at the same time.

Clear Skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 zxx

zxx

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Not a kit, but has many telescope primary lenses   https://www.surplusshed.com/

Edited by zxx, 15 January 2020 - 03:24 PM.

• gregj888, JoeVanGeaux and Chuck Hards like this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Like this one? https://mysciencesho.../stem-toy/81377

Nowhere in the description does it state the aperture of the primary lens.

#4 jeffreym

jeffreym

Vostok 1

• Loc: La Crosse, WI

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

I think you don't find kits anymore because it is cheaper to buy one already assembled.  You could buy a Meade Instruments 222001 80mm Adventure Scope, completely disassemble it, clean and re-grease the focuser, and reassemble it.  It would not come with instructions for the reassembly of course.  This might be just as fun as an unassembled kit.

Have fun!

Jeff

Edited by jeffreym, 15 January 2020 - 02:22 PM.

#5 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

Like this one? https://mysciencesho.../stem-toy/81377

Nowhere in the description does it state the aperture of the primary lens.

It is a 2" lens.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Does any company sell Refractor Telescope kits similar to the 80mm Achromat kit that University Optics sold back in 1989 - 1991? I'm talking about a kit with an air-spaced coated lens mounted in a cell, plus telescope tube and focuser and you assemble it yourself. Very difficult if not impossible to find. 

Doesn't have to be anything special, I would like something easy to put together without requiring a machine shop, more like a dining room table with just needing basic tools. Looking for something to play with and have some fun at the same time.

Clear Skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Ralph:

I have an extra ST-80. I could take it apart and send it to you..  :) /2  (That means: only half kidding)

Jon

• jeffreym likes this

#7 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

Jon, would I have to pay extra for you to dis-assemble it? Then send it to me in separate boxes...wow, that almost sounds like a ransom threat. Pay up or we'll send ****** to you in separate boxes! LOL!

Seriously, though...I thought it might be fun to have a little project like a 80mm f/6-ish refractor kit that could be used as a future finder scope. But it does seem more sense for manufacturers to sell them pre-assembled.

But still, it would be nice to have a company like University Optics (now defunct) to offer kits such as what I described. I know that surplus shed has all kinds of cool lenses that look like they are of high quality. The problem is finding the right size tubes where the lens cell would fit into, then a focuser and adapter plate to also fit the same tube. Here that Surplus shed? Maybe something to look into. Instead of just selling separate lenses, see about putting together a diy small refractor kit. Who knows, it might become popular?

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

This is what you really want...  but can't have it.  My own UO kit scope.  

UO Kit Scope.jpg

• zxx, Garyth64 and RalphMeisterTigerMan like this

#9 zxx

zxx

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

I could have bought the Bresser 127mm f9.4 for less then it cost me to build using the 127mm lens from Surplus shed.

Plus got a finder scope.

#10 jessebear

jessebear

Explorer 1

• Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

I have an Orion Ultrascan 80 that's essentially a factory assembled version of the UO 80mm kit. The previous owner painted it and it was in dire need of refinishing, so I've got it disassembled now and I'm working on it in my spare time. Definitely having fun with it, but like others have said I probably would have been money ahead to just buy one that didn't need so much work to enjoy as is!

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:38 PM

Ralph:

You could always ask Sheldon Fawroski. He was the proprietor of Apogee Inc and has a large stock of miscellaneous objectives and parts left over..

He goes by masilmw on CN.

https://www.cloudyni.../25634-masilmw/

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics