•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whats your Planet Killer telescope for 2020?

planet
  • Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#226 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

Barry still with us, then?

Yes, I corresponded with him a few weeks back. Turns out he lived in my town as a teen. Small world.

Tanveer
  • nicknacknock likes this

#227 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

I am ready for 2020 Planetary viewing. I will be using my 19.8lbs, 49.5"(with CAA), Takahashi FS-152 NSV apo refractor on DM6 mount on Berlabach Planet Tripod in comfort with my TV Nagler 5mm T6 in TeleVue Binovue attached to Baader T2 Zeiss prism diagonal while seated on my Starbound Chair!

CS

Jonathan

That is such a beautiful scope! And, having owned several FS-152s I know you have a superb planetary system ready to nail the planets! As the old beer commercial said, “It doesn’t get any better than this!”

• doctordub and Steve Allison like this

#228 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

Jonathan,

Great looking rig! Question; at 250x or so are you still happy with the DM6 (nudging around) or are you beginning to wish for an equatorial?

Thanks,

Cliff

#229 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Cliff the DM6 is very smooth and easy to track even at 480X!

CS

Jonathan

• turtle86, Sarkikos, Cliff C and 1 other like this

#230 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:41 AM

funnypost.gif ... really funny.

.....Ralph

#231 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:55 AM

My carry-on friendly Tak FOA-60. Not sure if it qualifies as a planet killer, but at f/8.8, it was certainly designed with planets and luna in mind. I'm hoping to get some good views of Mars near opposition.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2533-1.JPG
  • IMG_2534-1.JPG
  • IMG_2535-1.JPG

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 07 February 2020 - 04:29 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, Doug Culbertson, payner and 6 others like this

#232 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:46 AM

My finder is bigger than that - and its a quad APO.

Admittedly it does resolve Uranus little disk nicely, too.

Edited by luxo II, 07 February 2020 - 03:46 AM.

#233 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:19 AM

My finder is bigger than that - and its a quad APO.

Admittedly it does resolve Uranus little disk nicely, too.

Hmm did know this was a size competition.

#234 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Cliff the DM6 is very smooth and easy to track even at 480X!

CS

Jonathan

I have a DM6.  I concur.

:grin:

Mike

• doctordub, turtle86 and Paul Morow like this

#235 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

CS

Jonathan

I agree.  Buttery smooth, yet rock steady.  I use it with my AP 130 GT, Tak Mewlon 180 and NP 101. It's so good that I rarely use my GM 8 now. 

• doctordub, Sarkikos and Paul Morow like this

#236 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, but my visual acuity really is not all that special. I know this from comparisons with other people. My skill lies simply in spending lots and lots of time behind the eyepiece, training myself hard in seeing faint and difficult things. I see no reason why others shouldn't be able to do the same. 

And visual skills and acuity counts for little, when it's overcast two or three weeks at a time... undecided.gif  And I've not had a night of perfect seeing the last decade or so. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thomas:

When you're in your 70's, you may have a different opinion about visual acuity.  I spend a lof of time at the eyepiece but my eyes are not what they once were.

jon

• Sarkikos, Astrojensen and paul m schofield like this

#237 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

Thanks Jonathan, Mike & Rob.

I might just have to order on of those for the opposition.

• turtle86 and Sarkikos like this

#238 Dougal

Dougal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:37 AM

Lovely setup! I’m impressed you fitted it all into the one carry-on pelican case. I have that same case to take on trips but it holds my binoculars with a few filters! Your setup has hard to surpass portability and no doubt puts up some great views. Now you have tempted me to replicate it before a trip with promising skies this spring! What mount do you use?

My planet killer will be my Tak FS-128 with binoviewer on a twilight 2. But when condions allow (once every 11.6 years or so)  I will set up my 12” Dob for planetary. 

My carry-on friendly Tak FOA-60. Not sure if it qualifies as a planet killer, but at f/8.8, it was certainly designed with planets and luna in mind. I'm hoping to get some good views of Mars near opposition.

• payner and RadioAstronomer like this

#239 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Thomas:

When you're in your 70's, you may have a different opinion about visual acuity.  I spend a lof of time at the eyepiece but my eyes are not what they once were.

jon

What I meant was that my vision isn't anything particularly special, compared to others of my age. I know people that have WAY better acuity than I do, but alas, they're not into astronomy. 

I do have a LOT of training, so I know what to look for and how to look for it, which is of course tremendously important.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• payner and Sasa like this

#240 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Mariner 2

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

Lovely setup! I’m impressed you fitted it all into the one carry-on pelican case. I have that same case to take on trips but it holds my binoculars with a few filters! Your setup has hard to surpass portability and no doubt puts up some great views. Now you have tempted me to replicate it before a trip with promising skies this spring! What mount do you use?

My planet killer will be my Tak FS-128 with binoviewer on a twilight 2. But when condions allow (once every 11.6 years or so)  I will set up my 12” Dob for planetary. 

Glad you like the setup. The case is actually a Condition 1 18" case. It's smaller than your standard carry on and I think it will fit under a plane seat.

I use it on a Manfrotto 290 Xtra tripod and a Manfrotto MVH500AH fluid head in reverse mode (to help with balance). I don't tolerate shakiness well, and I was surprised at how stable the setup is, even at 130x, which is probably as high as I want to go with this scope on planets and luna. Probably because the FOA-60 is a relatively light scope.

The only mod that I think is necessary for this setup is getting a larger 3/8" bolt to attach the scope tho the quick release plate. The bolt that came with the fluid head is too short for me to trust it with such a nice scope.

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 07 February 2020 - 03:02 PM.

• Dougal and Sarkikos like this

#241 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

A fluid head can be a good mount for astronomy as long as the load is light.  I have a 501HDV that works fine with small scopes like the AT60ED.  Putting on a longer plate helps.  The motion is very smooth.  No need for slo-mo controls, just a pan handle.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 07 February 2020 - 03:10 PM.

• RadioAstronomer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics