•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whats your Planet Killer telescope for 2020?

planet
  • Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#301 sw196060

sw196060

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I've seen that too.

That's an aperture thing more than refractor vs. reflector.

Local and variable seeing dictate.

Edited by sw196060, 06 July 2020 - 09:41 PM.

#302 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:45 PM

Well you mentioned an aperture thing when suggesting a 4" refractor couldn't be a planet slayer...I am saying that it could be.

• zjc26138, doctordub, stevew and 1 other like this

#303 sw196060

sw196060

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

yes, it could be

#304 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:56 PM

Hello Everyone,

Tonight I did a side by side comparison between my AT 102 ED and my new to me Astro Telescopes 102 /F11 Super Planetary that I was hoping for, that turned out to be such a dog. The AT102ED just blew it totally away. I was viewing Jupiter. I am waiting for Jupiter to clear the tree line and I will be back at it. Any way back to the story. My little kiddy scope a 1958 Crescent 60mm F700 has better views. I couldn't see any features on Jupiter through the Astro Telescope but could clearly see the banding with AstroTech at the same power. I could go way up on the power with the AT102ED but on the Astro telescope all you could see was a yellowish blob.

The one thing I learned tonight I will never ever again buy a Achro telescope. You live and learn, at least it was not a expensive lesson, kind of like getting a speeding ticket. I will give that scope away for free at least someone will not be totally disappointed in that or just put it out at the curb on trash day, 

So tonight I will change my entry on "What is your planet killer scope for 2020?"

It will be the AT102ED.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 12 July 2020 - 05:55 AM.

• Cpk133 likes this

#305 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

What you really need is this beastie... and an Illudium Q36 Space Modulator is on order.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bad boy.jpg

Edited by luxo II, 12 July 2020 - 12:09 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, doctordub, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#306 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:47 AM

Hello Everyone,

Tonight I did a side by side comparison between my AT 102 ED and my new to me Astro Telescopes 102 /F11 Super Planetary that I was hoping for, that turn out to be such a dog. The AT102ED just blew it totally away. I was viewing Jupiter. I am waiting for Jupiter to clear the tree line and I will be back at it. Any way back to the story. My little kiddy scope a 1958 Crescent 60mm F700 has better views. I couldn't see any features on Jupiter through the Astro Telescope but could clearly see the banding with AstroTech at the same power. I could go way up on the power with the AT102ED but on the Astro telescope all you could see was a yellowish blob.

The one thing I learned tonight I will never ever again buy a Achro telescope. You live and learn, at least it was not a expensive lesson, kind of like getting a speeding ticket. I will give that scope away for free at least someone will not be totally disappointed in that or just put it out at the curb on trash day, 

So tonight I will change my entry on "What is your planet killer scope for 2020?"

It will be the AT102ED.

There's something very wrong with that 102/1100 achromat, if Jupiter is just a yellow blob. I can make an essentially identical telescope by stopping down my 150/1200 achromat to 112/1200 and it shows quite a lot of details on Jupiter. Here's a drawing made on December 27th, 2011, with that scope at 120x with Baader Maxbright bino and 10mm TS Kellners.

med_gallery_55742_324_1407448549_24962.j

Please don't assume all achromats are bad, just because you happened to receive one that was. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• doctordub, stevew, BillP and 8 others like this

#307 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:26 AM

There's something very wrong with that 102/1100 achromat, if Jupiter is just a yellow blob. I can make an essentially identical telescope by stopping down my 150/1200 achromat to 112/1200 and it shows quite a lot of details on Jupiter. Here's a drawing made on December 27th, 2011, with that scope at 120x with Baader Maxbright bino and 10mm TS Kellners.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thomas, I'm not saying that all Achros are bad, just that this one is my last one. That's all. I wanted to see really, what the difference was in a long focal length scope. The views are lack luster, and just not very impressive with the Astro Telescopes Super planetary, as compared to my other scopes. I will never want to use that scope again. My AT102ED is a cheap scope but it has become one of my favorites as well as my C8 Edge HD, the views through these two scopes are amazing. I was hoping that the Astro Telescopes 102 Super planetary would perform as good as it looks, but it does not with rather very  boring views.

I did take it back out this morning after the moon had risen and give it another try. It just cant hold a candel to the AstroTech. 

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed in that scope.

#308 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:06 AM

Have you ever used a 4" refractor on planets? Specifically Venus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars?

I have. 

Have you used a 12.5 inch Meade Research Grade, a 13.1 inch Starsplitter with a Royce mirror, a 25 inch F/5, etc ??? 

I enjoy the views of the planets through my 102 mm and 120 mm refractors but when the seeing God smiles as she often does along the southern California coast, I'll take something more capable.

Jon

• Astrojensen, gnowellsct and Jethro7 like this

#309 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

Thomas, I'm not saying that all Achros are bad, just that this one is my last one. That's all. I wanted to see really, what the difference was in a long focal length scope. The views are lack luster, and just not very impressive with the Astro Telescopes Super planetary, as compared to my other scopes. I will never want to use that scope again. My AT102ED is a cheap scope but it has become one of my favorites as well as my C8 Edge HD, the views through these two scopes are amazing. I was hoping that the Astro Telescopes 102 Super planetary would perform as good as it looks, but it does not with rather very  boring views.

I did take it back out this morning after the moon had risen and give it another try. It just cant hold a candel to the AstroTech. 

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed in that scope.

To see what the difference is like, between a short and a long scope, you should have bought the ED version. I have one and it's extremely good. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#310 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

To see what the difference is like, between a short and a long scope, you should have bought the ED version. I have one and it's extremely good. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Hello Thomas

You are probably right. I did take that scope out a second time after the Moon had risen. How can I say this? The views were nice till you looked through the AT102ED, or my C6  and the views through the Super Planetary were at best Just okay. This the first scope that I bought that I was disappointed in. My statements still goes  APO's from here on out. something along the Lines of a nice TEC or Stellarview 140 would be nice   " NO MORE ACHRO'S FOR ME"

Edited by Jethro7, 12 July 2020 - 11:51 AM.

#311 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hello Everyone,

Tonight I did a side by side comparison between my AT 102 ED and my new to me Astro Telescopes 102 /F11 Super Planetary that I was hoping for, that turned out to be such a dog. The AT102ED just blew it totally away. I was viewing Jupiter. I am waiting for Jupiter to clear the tree line and I will be back at it. Any way back to the story. My little kiddy scope a 1958 Crescent 60mm F700 has better views. I couldn't see any features on Jupiter through the Astro Telescope but could clearly see the banding with AstroTech at the same power. I could go way up on the power with the AT102ED but on the Astro telescope all you could see was a yellowish blob.

It will be the AT102ED.

Last weekend I brought out my 100ED and 90mm f/10.1. When I purchased the achro I had a mak and thought to myself, I won’t need another 100ED, as I was enjoying the achro. Then a 100ED came up locally and was like, well it’s local, might as well get it. And just like that I was like, ok, I lied. 

anyways when I did my comparison I told myself stop selling the 100ED’s. An achro is an achro, an Ed doublet is an Ed doublet. Like you, I’m waiting for a Facebook friend of mine who watched my videos and likes my photos say they want one to hand the achro over to them. 

clear skies. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#312 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:44 AM

Before giving up on that Astro Telescopes 102 /F11 Super Planetary, I'd check for flipped elements, and/or flint in front...

• Don Taylor likes this

#313 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

Jethro,

I'm not going to dispute your report - after all, you eyes are close to the scope and mine are not. I trust your observations.

However, I think Thomas (Jensen) is correct - there must be something wrong with your Astro Telescopes 102 Achromat. Unlike Thomas, I have BOTH the (Altair) 102F11ED and the Astro Telescopes 102F11 Achromat. I've observed extensively with both. Of course, I can only report what I've observed with my own samples.  My 102 Achromat is not far behind the 102F11ED, yes there is a small amount of CA but detail and contrast are close to my102ED. And from the various reports here on CN the performance of my 102F11ED sounds like it's performing to the same level as Thomas' and others 102F11EDs and in general to other quality 4" ED/APO scopes although I must admit I've not done a side by side with anyone's Tak or AP nor the AT102F7 that you have.

My 102 Achro shows great detail on lunar and planetary (e.g. Jupiter). I have not seen anything in my 5" Mak or 102ED that could not be seen in the achro.  I think Thomas is right - there must be something wrong with your scope - sounds like a flipped element or the entire objective. Maybe a previous owner messed with it. Who knows? Anyway, what you've described is completely unlike mine.

Having said all that - I certainly respect your choice to go "all-APO" in the future. Once you get a bad taste in your mouth - it's kinda hard to get rid of. Just a shame you apparently got a bad sample of the 102 achro.

Here's to clear skies and sub-arcsecond seeing!

P.S. looks like Bomber Bob was thinking the same as I was typing.

Edited by Don Taylor, 12 July 2020 - 11:50 AM.

• Astrojensen, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#314 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Before giving up on that Astro Telescopes 102 /F11 Super Planetary, I'd check for flipped elements, and/or flint in front...

Hello Bob, 

I did remove the lens sell. How do you determine which lenses are which? The  outer one has a greenish blue coating on it. Off the bat I noticed that the locking  ring ut is the ring that has the threads that allows you to screw it on to the tube was loose.

HAPPY SKIES Jethro.

Edited by Jethro7, 12 July 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#315 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:51 PM

1 - Achromatic Lens Diagram (Badback CN).jpg

• doctordub, Astrojensen, ATM57 and 3 others like this

#316 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Just to add a bit of confusion, I'd like to point out that #4 can also be correct in some cases (light coming from the left). This is called the Steinheil design. It's not as common as the common Fraunhofer design, but some EDs and Fluorites use it. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• ATM57 likes this

#317 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

Bob, 

It Is in correct,  I have someone coming by my office and picking it up on Monday.

Free stuff goes fast. I'm done with Achros.

Thanks for the help it is appreciated.

Some times things are just dogs.

#318 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

Just to add a bit of confusion, I'd like to point out that #4 can also be correct in some cases (light coming from the left). This is called the Steinheil design. It's not as common as the common Fraunhofer design, but some EDs and Fluorites use it. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

So did at least 1 Cooke refractor I am familiar with.

#319 StarHugger

StarHugger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milton Wisconsin, U.S.A

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

Tonight the Z8 dobsonian rolled out to the side deck a south view little more than a couple hours wide centered about on the meridian, the AT80ED will stand close by and my daughter and I will shuffle the views back and forth. Cool we are clear here so far and have our fingers crossed and filters ready. Best of luck everyone :-)
  • zjc26138 and Echolight like this

#320 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:44 PM

I have. 

Have you used a 12.5 inch Meade Research Grade, a 13.1 inch Starsplitter with a Royce mirror, a 25 inch F/5, etc ??? 

I enjoy the views of the planets through my 102 mm and 120 mm refractors but when the seeing God smiles as she often does along the southern California coast, I'll take something more capable.

Jon

No Jon I don't own your scopes.  Or have your seeing.

I do have a 12" dob tho,  which has a very nice mirror.

Regardless, it was not I that said a large aperture scope couldn't be a planet scope. If you read a previous page back, it was purported that a 4" scope couldn't be good on planets. That was the focus of my replies. 

I dont doubt a larger aperture reflector could do good in circumstances

Regards 

#321 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

It's not a refractor but it will do.

Capture

#322 BravoFoxtrot

BravoFoxtrot

Mariner 2

• Loc: Palmer Divide, Colorado

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:14 PM

My Skywatcher Esprit 120ED will likely be my most used scopes on planets this season.   However, I’ve been considering a large, premium dob for some time.

Instead I went with a couple of new Takahashi’s and associated mounts.  smile.gif

With that being said, my Esprit is my used scope and still gets the nod for planets most of the time.

#323 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

What's your Planet Killer telescope for 2020?

Technically, I'm blessed with 6 in 2 Trios...

- Reflectors:

1980s Meade 826 8" F6 Newtonian

1971 Criterion RV-6 6" F8 Newtonian

1940s Tinsley 6" F20 Cassegrain

- Refractors:

2019 AT102 F7 ED

2017 APM 152 F8 ED

1970s Dakin 105mm F10 ACH

My Hope is that I'll have more clear nights at each opposition than I have Planet Killers!!

#324 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:02 AM

Bob, 

It Is in correct,  I have someone coming by my office and picking it up on Monday.

Free stuff goes fast. I'm done with Achros.

That, I think, unless that someone is an experienced amateur astronomer and you've made it perfectly clear that the reason the instrument is being given away for free is that it has some serious issues, was not a very nice move. At all. 

Issues that most likely are perfectly remediable, but not to the uninitiated. And it has nothing to do with it being an achromat. Exactly the same could have happened to an ED or apochromat (and I've seen it happen to them, too). 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jethro7 likes this

#325 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:38 AM

My Planet Killer Telescope for 2020 is unexpectedly dobson 150/1200. This was a gift from my friend (originally, I just wanted to borrow it but I end up as an owner). Star test was pointing to turned down edges. The damage to in focus stars was quite severe. For example, delta Cygni was so large blob that the companion was practically invisible. With 142mm baffle, the Newton shows essentially perfect optics (I would say at lambda/8 level). Delta Cygni is now easy target. It delivers on Jupiter as well. Last night I finally run on acceptable seeing conditions. The texture was so rich in short moments, far above my sketching capabilities. I would also say that resolution is clearly better than of my 82mm refractor.

Jupiter_20200712_2140UT.jpg

• EverlastingSky, payner, eros312 and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics