•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whats your Planet Killer telescope for 2020?

planet
  • Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#351 dUbeni

dUbeni

Viking 1

• Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:17 AM

Hi! my planet killer just got injured. Well! it's more of bb gun than a killer, it hurts a bit when close enough. It is my Vixen ED80S /f9.

67 getting ready For another night under The stars

it gives me wonderful views with good seeing on planets, at least until it got injured.

Now it troughs more scatter, and I'm trying a band-aid on it, but seeing is not cooperating.

97 Vixen ED80S blocking chipped lens

CS

Bernardo

• eros312, Bomber Bob and The Luckster like this

#352 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

I was kind of shocked to read so many posts in the refractor forum (many from bona fide refractor enthusiasts​) advocating the use of their large aperture dobs/newts/SCTs for the purpose of 'planet killing'. 

This should not come as a surprise. The true refractor enthusiast knows both the strengths, as well as the limitations of his telescopes and use them accordingly. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, Midnight Skies and 7 others like this

#353 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

With great hesitation, I post a picture of the rig here in the refractor forum! scared.gif

ah, you may not be aware of this - the Teeter STS series is an officially endorsed and permitted Newtonian alternative by the apo mafia illuminanti - no worries! lol.gif

• Starman81 and Henricuda like this

#354 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

My 127 celestron Mak with WO binoviewers has given me outstanding planetary detail.

• darksolstice and gene 4181 like this

#355 FeynmanFan

FeynmanFan

Viking 1

• Loc: N Colo front range

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

My 100mm ED.  Not only is it paid for (fiscal problem solved), but it is a good fit for my general old-age decrepitude (physical problem solved).  It rides on a giro II mount which I find very capable.  If I can scrape the funds together (not so easily done in our current situation), I would love to add a binoviewer.  Downside to that would be the requirement to find additional eyepieces matching what I already have, or buying new pairs.  For planetary I mainly use well-traveled UO volcano top orthos, which aren’t sexy by today’s standards, but work well.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a mid-range binoviewer that can be fitted to an Orion ED100 without extensive modifications or plumbing?

• Terra Nova likes this

#356 Winks

Winks

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

"Does anyone have any suggestions for a mid-range binoviewer that can be fitted to an Orion ED100 without extensive modifications or plumbing?"

Orion Linear Binoviewer

#357 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:33 AM

That's going to be my 8" f/16 with binoviewers......This year and many to come smile.gif

Now, that's a REFRACTOR !!!

Mark

#358 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:36 AM

My Meade 10 SCT   OR

My Orion 10 f/5.6 Dob.

Mark

• Jon Isaacs and payner like this

#359 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:56 AM

With great hesitation, I post a picture of the rig here in the refractor forum! scared.gif

Look at all the refractive glass in them thar Naglers. They are at least first cousins to the refractor telescope. So in a sense every forum is a refractor forum.

#360 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:44 AM

Here is my Planet Killer

Attached Thumbnails

• DeathStar2.jpg

Edited by ASTERON, 06 August 2020 - 08:44 AM.

• stevew, Scott99, starryhtx and 1 other like this

#361 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

nah ... large parabola ain't no planet killer for 2020 cuz it ain't no refractor :p:P

• PatrickVt and miketheobscure like this

#362 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:02 PM

So-- on these manual alt-az mounts (T-Rex/Discman/Rowan) can you move the scope without using the slow-motion controls? I'm assuming yes.

I'm in the market for a lightweight alt-az situation with slow-motion controls, but I'd rather have something scalable than have to keep trading up.

I've used the Rowan AZ100 and I currently own a T-Rex and, yes, the mounts can be moved smoothly without touching the slow motion controls.

As this thread is about scopes for observing the planets, here are two of mine:

Attached Thumbnails

• lzostrexA.JPG
  • takvixeq01.JPG

• stevew, JKAstro, plyscope and 10 others like this

#363 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:15 AM

Usually I am not a fan of advocating other sites, but let me make an exception please:

https://ap-ug.groups...n/message/80832

AP 10" F/14.5 Mak. I just think its looks sublime. I just wish I could look through such a scope. Unfortunately, it is discontinued. Interesting story around those scopes from Roland on the scope optical design/manufacturing process for those interested. 

And sorry, this is not frac, but has a front glass wink.gif

Edited by fate187, 07 August 2020 - 12:16 AM.

• areyoukiddingme, jeremiah2229 and Henricuda like this

#364 GaryJCarter

GaryJCarter

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairview, Texas

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:34 AM

My planet killer for 2020:

image.jpeg

• TG, payner, Midnight Skies and 7 others like this

#365 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:14 AM

I'm not sure I'd call my 100mm refractor a planet killer, but it's certainly a planet thriller. The three sketches of Mars showing the Solis Lacus region from two nights ago shows how nice such small scopes can be, and what thrilling views they can give, even under less than perfect conditions. The sketches are as seen through a prism diagonal so are north top, e/w reversed. 

1595252029814_IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight, 09 August 2020 - 03:14 AM.

• Traveler, daquad, Astrojensen and 8 others like this

#366 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:38 AM

Mike, your planetary sketches never ceases to amaze me. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• eros312 and mikeDnight like this

#367 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:58 AM

Hello Everybody,

It started here so I will finish it here. The Astro Telescope 102mm F/11 Super Planetary that I thought was A piece of junk. I accidentally fixed it today. I removed the lens cell to take thread measurements. Well I dropped it on the floor, I figured no big deal its junk anyway. When I picked it up the lenses were loose. Apparently the lenses were slightly cockeyed being held in by the first lens retainer, the second retainer  that threads the cell into the scope body was also loosend by the drop that straightened out the lenses in the cell. Well I tightened down everything and gave it a try tonight on Jupiter, Saturn. and of course the Moon and Mars. And it is working and working pretty well. The views of Jupiter and Saturn were very beautiful at 137.5 X the Moon was totally amazing. I was able to run the throttle wide open at 343.75 X I'm glad that I did not give or throw this scope away. I Will put this down as a lesson on dont be in a rush nor panic and to try to do a better job trouble shooting the problems that will occur as I progress in this hobby. And I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way on this issue. I'm a happy camper tonight.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

20200809 024031

Edited by Jethro7, 09 August 2020 - 04:00 AM.

• plyscope, Astrojensen, eros312 and 5 others like this

#368 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:26 AM

Hello Everybody,

It started here so I will finish it here. The Astro Telescope 102mm F/11 Super Planetary that I thought was A piece of junk. I accidentally fixed it today. I removed the lens cell to take thread measurements. Well I dropped it on the floor, I figured no big deal its junk anyway. When I picked it up the lenses were loose. Apparently the lenses were slightly cockeyed being held in by the first lens retainer, the second retainer  that threads the cell into the scope body was also loosend by the drop that straightened out the lenses in the cell. Well I tightened down everything and gave it a try tonight on Jupiter, Saturn. and of course the Moon and Mars. And it is working and working pretty well. The views of Jupiter and Saturn were very beautiful at 137.5 X the Moon was totally amazing. I was able to run the throttle wide open at 343.75 X I'm glad that I did not give or throw this scope away. I Will put this down as a lesson on dont be in a rush nor panic and to try to do a better job trouble shooting the problems that will occur as I progress in this hobby. And I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way on this issue. I'm a happy camper tonight.

laugh.gif cool.gif

Oh, that's amazing! I'm happy to hear this!

I'm sorry for not coming back to you earlier, but I've been swamped with work and things needing attention and totally forgot. Sorry. An injured back didn't help. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen, 09 August 2020 - 04:27 AM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#369 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:10 AM

laugh.gif cool.gif

Oh, that's amazing! I'm happy to hear this!

I'm sorry for not coming back to you earlier, but I've been swamped with work and things needing attention and totally forgot. Sorry. An injured back didn't help. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Hello Thomas,

I understand. I think that this scope heard me talking about getting a new set of lenses and adding 400.05mm to the scope body and turning it in to a 102mm F/15. And the cell jumped out of my hand. LOL...  you were right it was out of collimation and five minutes and a screw driver will fix it. And I tried to give it away and almost tossed it in the garbage. The lens retaining ring  may have been jostled loose in the mail, the second ring that screws into the scope body was loose the first time I removed the cell and their was just enough slack to jam the lenses slightly off. I guess like collimating my SCT, it does not take much to throw the collimation off any scope.

Edited by Jethro7, 09 August 2020 - 05:12 AM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#370 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

My planet killer for 2020:

Is that the 6in or the 7in?

#371 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:57 AM

After reading everyones comments regarding their favorite “planet Killers” I think that the following is the most valid definition for such a telescope:

Sky & Telescope November 2018 has an article on optimal aperture for viewing the Moon and planets by Thomas Dobbins, page 52.

“Based on five decades of observing through a vast array of telescopes, I’d venture to say that under excellent conditions, a 10 – or 12 – inch instruments of high quality is capable of revealing at least 75% of what can be seen on the Moon or brighter planets through even the largest Earth based instruments. The larger apertures required to see the remaining 25% involve rapidly diminishing marginal returns. Many of the finest images of the Moon and planets have been captured using 12 – to 16- inch instruments.
It’s no coincidence that this is the same size “sweet spot’ determined by so many visual observers generations ago.”

Vahe

• stevew, payner, eros312 and 5 others like this

#372 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

Yes.  Just last Thursday my 210 gave the best view ever of Jupiter.

#373 TG

TG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

Mars, at conjunction with the Moon, at 4am in stable seeing in the AP178 was a delight. It has been many years since Mars was at higher altitude for us northern observers. I observed it way into daylight and surprisingly no damage to the image happened even when surrounded by a blue sky in the eyepiece field.
  • Bomber Bob and gozer like this

#374 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:17 AM

Every few years out here on Cloudy Nights, I see someone post topics on Planet Killer telescopes.

With the Mars Opposition this year, and the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, I thought this would be a good time to stir up the excitement by asking what is your planet Killer scope this year, and post some cool photos of it.

I choose the refractor forum to post this since refractors seem to be the telescope of choice for "backyard" planetary observing. Sometimes, refractors are purchased to just enjoy the Moon and planets. While I don't agree that refractors are the best choice for planetary observing, they are easy to access and popular, and inch for inch, they put out the sharpest views compared to their reflector cousins.

For me, my planet killer has always been my largest scope, this should be my C11XLT. Having admitted this, in late 2018, I purchased a new APM 152ED refractor. 2019 was probably the worse year for planetary observing for most people, so I've only had one good night with excellent seeing conditions to confirm that the my new 6" refractor definitely qualifies as a formidable planet killer scope also.

I like refractors best. I like how they present the sky to us, and I like their slick looks also. I want my new 6" refractor to be my first choice whenever the skies are clear and the planets are out.
So for me, for 2020, I am calling my 152Ed my new Planet Killer.

...Ralph

12.5" f/5.5 Teeter/Zambuto with a Paracorr.

Best,

Jim

#375 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:36 AM

"...It’s no coincidence that this is the same size “sweet spot’ determined by so many visual observers generations ago.”

Thankyou Vahe, that insight concurs with my experience as well. I just can't afford the 12" APO, though...

As Ralph remarked... I thought last was pretty poor weather-wise but this season is shaping up to be dreadful. Aside from COVID the past 6 months - April-June  usually the being the best - have been solidly wet, wet, wet... the big beastie has only seen starlight once since March. 

Edited by luxo II, 12 August 2020 - 12:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics