•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Distorted Stars Near Sagittarius A*

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

Interesting stuff about objects orbiting the Milky Way's central black hole, and getting hugely distorted by tidal effects, but not completely torn apart.  They think they are  huge stars formed by binary mergers, surrounded by dust.  It raises the possibility of watching one fall in.

Such times, we live in.

https://www.theguard...-way-black-hole

https://www.scienced...00115132316.htm

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#2 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

Such times indeed.  Imagine if we could soon see in common telescopes, immense jets emanating from Sag A*. In the meantime we see reports of the latest findings.

One thing that is a peeve is the language used to describe these things, stretched like bubble gum is a new one.  Not omitted of course were references to eating, gobbling, swallowing, snacking ....  These are the scientists and Astronomers words and I shudder at them. Is it any wonder there are "news" reports of Super Howling Fang Blood Dripping Blue Moon?

Evolutionary biology is pretty silly about language too.  Dang, I've said too much!

edit:  ok, I don't literally shudder, but my minds eyes are rolling and most definitely emit a sigh.

edit: ok, my minds eyes are not sighing, it's a sound thing.

Edited by B l a k S t a r, 15 January 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#3 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

Such times indeed.  Imagine if we could soon see in common telescopes, immense jets emanating from Sag A*. In the meantime we see reports of the latest findings.

One thing that is a peeve is the language used to describe these things, stretched like bubble gum is a new one.  Not omitted of course were references to eating, gobbling, swallowing, snacking ....  These are the scientists and Astronomers words and I shudder at them. Is it any wonder there are "news" reports of Super Howling Fang Blood Dripping Blue Moon?

Evolutionary biology is pretty silly about language too.  Dang, I've said too much!

edit:  ok, I don't literally shudder, but my minds eyes are rolling and most definitely emit a sigh.

edit: ok, my minds eyes are not sighing, it's a sound thing.

I don't mind a bit of it, but you're right it often goes too far and becomes silly.

My pet peeve is the ^#%$#^%# 'god particle'.  Why do we call it that?  Why?  WHY???  WHAT THE %$#@&%#$ &^%&^%&^% IS THAT ABOUT CAN WE NOT JUST CALL IT THE HIGGS BOSON WHICH IS A PERFECTLY GOOD DESCRIPTION!!!!!!

Sorry, I lost track a bit there.  There was somebody yelling.

• PXR-5, B l a k S t a r and Jim_V like this

#4 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

If the stars are distorted, it's because they didn't use a Nagler eyepiece, otherwise

they would be "tack" sharp.

Rim_Shot.gif

• B l a k S t a r and Jim_V like this

#5 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

Hey, astronomers gotta eat too!

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#6 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

This astronomers work has been fascinating to watch over the years. There's been enough time passed with adaptive optics to clearly see stars whipping around Sag A* in animated sequence. Hopefully the new findings are visually clear enough to add to the saga.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics