•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dob secondary mirror help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Altair91

Altair91

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:40 PM

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but my question pertains to a dobsonian scope. I've been in the hobby for 3 or 4 years as a casual observer and photographer, so my knowledge base is somewhat limited. I bought my nephew a 12 inch dobsonian Meade starfinder. While cleaning the secondary he not only managed to wipe away the silvering, but also dropped it leaving a rather large chip in it. Tough lesson for a 16 year old. My question is, will any Newtonian secondary work for his scope as long as it's the same size as the original? Or am I better off scouring the reaches to find another identical Meade starfinder secondary? Thanks y'all.

#2 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Waterford, CT

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

Size matters. It does not have to come from a Meade Starfinder. 

• havasman and Sam M like this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

A standard GSO secondary of the same size will likely be very much like what came with the scope and work fine. A 1/14th wave secondary of the same size from Antares or Astrosystems would likely be a noticeable optical upgrade.

For a startup scope I'd likely go with the GSO.

A 12" Dob is a very powerful scope.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:19 AM

It's almost always easier to replace it with similar, rather than trying to repair it.    Tom

#5 Oberon

Oberon

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

And tell him never to touch the secondary again. Why was he cleaning it? In 30 years I’ve never needed to clean a secondary. Generally the surface faces down and doesn’t even collect dust.

• megachriops95 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics