•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

600mm nikon lens vs Refractor

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

Point at a bright star and slap the Bahtinov mask on.

Set APT to short exposure, max gain, 1:1 (sometimes even add the magnifier if the nearest bright star isn't all that bright) and very gently manually focus the lens.

When it looks good, I take a longer sub so I can really see the diffraction spikes well and verify they are centered.

REMOVE BAHTINOV MASK :)

Then back to the target and resume the imaging plan.

Takes less than 5 minutes. (I also plate solve/sync/goto/platesolve/display in Stellarium again when I get back to the target so that is part of the 5 minutes.The CEM 60 is rarely very far off, but I'm OCD.)

APT has an autofocus routine (obviously worthless for Nikon glass) but I haven't been able to get it to work better then the Bahtinov yet on my Edge 8.

I am just setting up an AT115EDT (added the Pegasus FocusCube over the weekend) so maybe that will work better with APT??

#27 Carl N

Carl N

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

IMHO, if are satisfied by your stars' shapes, there is very little to be gained and a lot to be lost.
Take also note that, especially if use a large sensor, refractors could struggle to provide good shaped stars across all the frame

That's true, but also true for a large camera lens.

#28 Carl N

Carl N

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

Several advantages come to mind:

• Cheaper
  • Typically, fewer optical elements
  • Typically, fewer optical aberrations
  • Focusing is achieved while optical elements remain fixed
  • Designed to focus at infinity
  • Can easily be used for visual
  • Many robust and rigid mounting options available that allow for critical payload balancing
I think it would really be nice to see some raw images from such a lens to see how well it does. I have a similar experiment planned, I am just struggling with a secure way to hang my camera lens on my telescope mount.

Umm, It ain't cheaper to buy a refractor than use a lens he already owns.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics