•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help needed - Vintage Diastimeter Telescope - Markers Mark

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wilandis

Wilandis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I found the old Diastimeter telescope you can see on the pictures attached. The Diastimeter is 15 to 32 cm (extended) long and the outer tube is around 4 cm.

I am sure as experts you know that a Diastimeter is a distance measuring telescope, most of the good old times used in the military.

Usually the different models I am researching have two thin wires in the turnable mechanism and since a typical soldier from the infantry was around 6 feet high (or for the cavalry on top of a horse 12 feet high) it was kind of easy to measure the distance with a Diastimeter by bringing the two wires with the turnable ring on the same height and than read from the little scale how fare away they were, to get the settings for the canon correctly to get rid of them.

Very long story short as the first invention to this was made back in 1799 and it screws me up since years to learn more about them.

The engravings on the pictures attached say that it is a patented telescope and it has a markers mark you maybe have seen before or can identify. To me it reads like a "L" overlayed by a "C" (laying).

Do you have any idea who the manufacturer was? Or who would be a good contact for me to find out more about the manufacturer?

Many thanks in advance for a couple of minutes of your valuable time.

/Wilandis

Attached Thumbnails

• DIASTIMETER 1.jpg
  • DIASTIMETER 2.jpg
  • DIASTIMETER 3.jpg
  • Diastimeter 4.jpg
  • Diastimeter mARK.jpg

• Kokatha man and wrnchhead like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:18 PM

Great - you live & learn, I had no idea about these scopes...hope someone can assist you here! :)

• Wilandis likes this

#3 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:55 PM

Possibly C.L. Berger & Sons? 

• Wilandis likes this

#4 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Have you had any further progress? I have thus far not been able to find any record of CL Berger & Sons having provided such an instrument, though they did produce all manner of theodolites near the turn of the century. 

It also seems their maker's mark was a "C L" imposed over a "B", or an inter-joined "CB" with a small "L". 

H4128-L137644115.jpg

58128.jpg

It does lead me to wonder if possibly CL Berger had impressed the mark upon an artifice from Buff & Berger before Berger dissolved the company to form CL Berger & Sons. Might explain the omission of the "B". 

#5 Wilandis

Wilandis

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for your replies, even if have not seen any further progress.

The C.L. Berger tipp did not work out further till now, and I also have checked all their catalogs I could find.

A famous manufacturer of survey levels and theodolites, but no report on any telescopes.

Just as a side note, Christian Louis Berger came to America in 1866, and this sounds fairly ok for the age of the telescope, but I have not found any resource reporting any market activity prior to cooperation with Buff in 1871.

I spend days on searching old patents with no success until now. So, please let your valuable input coming in.

Your are very welcome and I appreciate all your ideas, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics