•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Az Setting Circle?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

I'm thinking about adding AltAz setting circles to a Berry mount I made years ago.  The Alt circle has been taken care of but I still need to find a good quality high resolution Az image to print and laminate.  I'm looking to make an 8" 0-360 degree labeled circle and what I've found so far is "soft" when printed at that size.   I remember seeing a permanent link on one of the forums to setting circle images but can't find it now unless it is Rob Willett's In that thread (last posting date 2008) he provides a URL for a generator, but the site is no longer available.

Does anybody know if there is there another forum thread that provides links or images for high resolution setting circles, 0-360 degrees in my case. 

I promise I looked around the various CN forums for a while before posting this.  

TIA for your help!

• JoeVanGeaux likes this

#2 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

The files you are looking for are on the "Degree Circles" thread in the equipment forum. 

In my "unbiased " opinion the best one is the one I drew in AutoCad and saved as a pdf. It can be found in a few places including attached to the end of this post in that thread. If you go up a couple of posts in that thread you'll see how it looks. Print it any scale you want, but at 100% the tick marks are at a 9" radius. 

• Jon Isaacs and JoeVanGeaux like this

#3 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

Note that this circle,  like most on that thread are numbered clockwise for a stationary circle and a moveable pointer.  If you reverse that and have the circle move with your scope,  you'll need a cycle circle. 

#4 JoeVanGeaux

JoeVanGeaux

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SETX

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Nice post!  If anyone has made a setting circle (preferably laminated), I'd sure love to see some pics in stages of completion.  Although, this wouldn't normally be considered a really tough task, it still has a few challenges of its own to make one look "pro".  Like etching the circle onto a painted aluminum disc, for instance - or even printing a beveled setting circle.

In any case, thanks for opening (re-opening?) this topic!

Joe

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

That's exactly what I'm looking for.  Thank you very much.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Explorer 1

• Loc: Waterford, CT

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Found it in a 2016 thread.

https://www.blocklay...ctor-print.aspx

#7 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

One trick I've discovered keeps trimmed laminated circles looking fresh.

You can print on regular paper and laminate it,  using services at places like Staples for larger sizes. You can then trim to the size you want and mount to a thin disk or ring of Baltic Birch plywood using any of several methods including contact cement and two sided adhesive tape.

Here's the trick,  though. As a final step,  if you place it face down on newspaper and spray the plywood AND EDGES with a clear coat paint you'll seal it up nicely. It's important to move from the paper AS SOON AS you are done spraying to avoid having it bridge and stick. By placing it on  paper you ensure that no paint reflects or spatters onto the show side. 

A couple applications like that not only seals the circle,  it also seals the plywood to prevent warpage from moisture takeup.

This works! My ring STILL looks like this after a couple years of dewy nights. 

20200116_123921_compress51.jpg

#8 Oberon

Oberon

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

Nice post!  If anyone has made a setting circle (preferably laminated), I'd sure love to see some pics in stages of completion.  Although, this wouldn't normally be considered a really tough task, it still has a few challenges of its own to make one look "pro".  Like etching the circle onto a painted aluminum disc, for instance - or even printing a beveled setting circle.

In any case, thanks for opening (re-opening?) this topic!

Joe

I draw up and send my artwork to an online commercial signmaker and have it printed on aluminium composite panel (ACP). Then I cut the circles and other artwork out on my router. There are a wide range of material and print options but I’ve settled on print direct to the ACP, after which I take to a local auto-panel repair shop for a clear coat of 2 pack poly. The quality of finish is so outstanding I wouldn’t do it any other way. Here are the steps...

Create artwork and send to online sign printer. I use Adobe Illustrator, but anything that produces a good quality pdf will do.

med_gallery_217007_5817_201387.png

Raw printed panel is delivered to home...

gallery_217007_5817_51224.jpg

Panel is taken to panel shop and clear coated for a nice hard glossy finish.

gallery_217007_5817_48249.jpg

#9 Oberon

Oberon

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Circles are cut out in the router. Note that the center points were included as markers in the artwork.

gallery_217007_5817_57209.jpg

And then glued to the altitude trunnion and trimmed with a trim router.

gallery_217007_5817_113933.jpg

Similar process for azimuth...

gallery_217007_4913_42494.jpg

Finished results...

gallery_217007_5817_153154.jpg

gallery_217007_5817_46509.jpg

Edited by Oberon, 16 January 2020 - 04:19 PM.

• Pierre Lemay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics