•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source for edge lit Acrylic? (flat panels, etc)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jdk

jdk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

So I purchased an LED panel from Lowes for the purpose of taking flats, and when I took it apart I realized that the LEDs are lined along the edge of a special sheet of acrylic that allows the light to diffuse outward instead of being internally reflected. 

The only vendor I have found for this type of acrylic is Acrylite, but it is pretty expensive (several times the price of standard acrylic) and they are located on the other side of the country.

It's tough to sort through Google because most of the results that come back are about pre-made signs, etc. 

Anyone know of any other sources for this?

Joe

#2 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

You can ask Brightview Technologies:

http://www.briteview...components.html

Maybe they would sell you a cheap sample light guide.

Ask if they have any plain diffuser films they can supply with the light guide. Tell them you want a ‘Lambertian’ output, so No 3M brightness enhancement films which can boost brightness but can cause an undesirable focusing effect. Tell them this and explain what you need it for. If Dr Chen is still there, he is very helpful.

What was wrong with the one from Lowes?
  • jdk likes this

#3 jdk

jdk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

You can ask Brightview Technologies:

http://www.briteview...components.html

Maybe they would sell you a cheap sample light guide.

Ask if they have any plain diffuser films they can supply with the light guide. Tell them you want a ‘Lambertian’ output, so No 3M brightness enhancement films which can boost brightness but can cause an undesirable focusing effect. Tell them this and explain what you need it for. If Dr Chen is still there, he is very helpful.

What was wrong with the one from Lowes?

Thanks! The Lowes panel was ok, but I could tell that the uniformity was not ideal because the quality of the acrylic panel used was just not the best. Acrylite, on the other hand, makes bold claims about their transmission efficiency (and at that price I'm inclined to believe them). 

• KLWalsh likes this

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

Could you use an EL Panel?

#5 jdk

jdk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Yes, I definitely could, but I'm also just interested in this specific tech generally (beyond making a flat panel). 

• calypsob likes this

#6 megachriops95

megachriops95

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

TappPlastics has a assortment of acrylics sheets, Not sure if it will help. They have a black LED panel that transmit any light put through it.

https://www.tapplast...k_led_sheet/668

Good Luck

• jdupton and steveastrouk like this

#7 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

Now that is very useful. It solves a problem I have at work for a very high end scientific instrument I am designing.

• megachriops95 likes this

#8 jdk

jdk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

TappPlastics has a assortment of acrylics sheets, Not sure if it will help. They have a black LED panel that transmit any light put through it.

https://www.tapplast...k_led_sheet/668

Good Luck

Wild! But I'm looking for something that transmits a light source from the edge outward from the face. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics