•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use a Nikon CX Sensor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GraySkies

GraySkies

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

I’m wondering if anyone has Experience imaging using a CX sensor (specifically the V3 or J5). I’m a Nikon shooter and a lot of those cameras are around for cheap at the moment, with a FT-1 adapter I can use all my F-mount glass but get a 2.7x crop factor which would give me quite a bit of reach.

Experiance/Thoughts?

#2 Andy Lucy

Andy Lucy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: East Yorkshire

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

I use a Nikon J5 in combination with an FT1 adapter and a Nikon 300mm PF lens.  This combination gives you an image scale of 1.6 arcseconds / pixel and a field of view of 2.4 by 1.6 degrees, which is fine for a lot of deep space objects. The J5 has a high quality Sony IMX183 sensor (as used in astro cameras like the ZWO ASI183MC).  I've had some good results using this combination and have taken reasonable pictures of a variety of subjects e.g. M81 / M82, Leo triplet, the ISS and even Saturn (rings just about visible).  The 4K mode (15 frames / sec) can be used to get good pictures of the moon (using lucky imaging methods).

The biggest downside of the J5 for astro work for Deep Space objects, by far, is that it is not possible attach an external connector.  Thus, you cannot connect it to a laptop for control or image viewing, or to an intervalometer..  The longest exposure with the internal intervalometer is 30s.   With the FT1, the max individual exposure length is 30s.  However, if you use a dumb equivalent to the FT1, or block the FT1 connectors, you can get individual 120s exposures.  These can be started by lightly touching the touchscreen.

I also have a Nikon D5500 and find that I mostly use this for DSOs because of the J5 control limitations

Regards,

Andy 

• GraySkies likes this

#3 GraySkies

GraySkies

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:42 AM

Thanks Andy for the info, my understanding with research was that the V3 could be used in junction with BackYardNikon. I wonder if similar restrictions apply?

Sounds like the J5 is off my list for now if I can’t work around the 120s limit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics