•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does science ever scare you?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted Yesterday, 12:51 PM

The older I get the more I worry about science. Perhaps I shouldn't say science itself but the things that result from science. In my 60 years of living I have benefited greatly from those results. I wouldn't have lived this long without science's benefits and I am thankful for everything I have that is a result of science. But science and technology are always double edged swords. The problems that have come from knowledge just seem to get bigger and bigger. Global warming, the potential of nuclear, biological, chemical or cyber war, a major solar storm taking out all the satellites and creating a Mad Max society, future artificial intelligence going too far.... I could go on. 

Should we start ramping up the few conversations that we have about the possible dangers or is that being disrespectful to everyone (like us CN members) who love the scientific process? We can't go back and undo the past but should we start to be a little more careful about blazing into the future? 

• alstarjoey likes this

#2 opticsguy

opticsguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Science does not scare me at all.

Politicians scare me, ALL of them.

• Jim Waters, Astrojensen, mich_al and 9 others like this

#3 cst4

cst4

Vostok 1

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

I don't find science scary... I find people wielding science for the wrong reasons scary.  But looking back through history, even with terrible weapons like nuclear bombs, I do feel that the good science has brought has outweighed the bad.  And I have hope that humanity will continue to learn from its mistakes and strive to better itself and the world in which we live.  But no matter if science is viewed as good or bad, it is simply inevitable so we all just might as well adapt.

• Jim Waters likes this

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Exactly....  +10...

• siriusandthepup likes this

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Ignorance/denial of science is a _lot_ more scary, particularly with people who have actual power.

Edited by bobzeq25, Yesterday, 01:28 PM.

• City Kid likes this

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Science doesn't, and never has, scared me.

The people who want to turn a profit from science scare me cr@pless. The megabillionaires, and now corporations, can buy politicians by the dozen. I know CN does not approve of political commentary, but the US has a real problem with corporate greed, including that of the military industrial complex.

End of rant. Dear moderator, remove my post if it does not adhere to CN terms of service.

• Jon Isaacs, bobzeq25, alstarjoey and 2 others like this

#7 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Nitrogen fixation is one of those scientific ideas that is a two edge sword. Nitrogen compounds are needed for many things, mainly agricultural fertilization and the manufacturing of explosives. The biggest natural source of this was bird droppings. The largest deposits were in the Atacama Desert, and actually caused the War of the Pacific, and is the reason it is part of Chile today instead of Peru and Bolivia. Industrial processes were invented, and allowed greater production, which allowed the massive manufacturing of explosives during World War I. It also lead to the widespread use of chemical fertilizer that we depend on to feed the worlds population. Every new idea has many uses, for good or for bad.

#8 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

The word science has become a misused label for technology mainly. Science is not a thing, it's a methodology crafted to reveal the natural universe.  Science and (good) music are the two purest achievements of mankind. 

Greed, power, fear and ignorance (religion) are part and parcel with the unfettered industrial haymakers and politicos. 

The pot is stirring faster as the heat rises...

• siriusandthepup likes this

#9 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Nice to see BlakStar's comment regarding technology being confused with science. I'm not sure where it came from, but my brother, now long passed, gave me a concept which has stayed with me. I paraphrase, "Science is Man's attempt to see order in nature. Art is Man's attempt to create order".

• bobzeq25 and B l a k S t a r like this

#10 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Nice to see BlakStar's comment regarding technology being confused with science. I'm not sure where it came from, but my brother, now long passed, gave me a concept which has stayed with me. I paraphrase, "Science is Man's attempt to see order in nature. Art is Man's attempt to create order".

Nice.

But these days sometimes art tries to create chaos. Which I mean as a positive.

#11 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted Yesterday, 04:17 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the title.  We need a whole new way of doing things !

#12 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

The problems that have come from knowledge just seem to get bigger and bigger. Global warming, the potential of nuclear, biological, chemical or cyber war, a major solar storm taking out all the satellites and creating a Mad Max society, future artificial intelligence going too far.... I could go on. 

Most of you aren't afraid of science and I get that but sometimes I have trouble separating it from the results. To me what you are saying is that you are not afraid of science but you are afraid of full scale nuclear war (using that as one included in above examples). Yet it was science that caused the war...or more specifically politicians that used the weapons developed by scientists. Yet if we hold the politicians 100% responsible and let the scientists off the hook that would mean that scientists don't need to bother with ethics since science is more important.....and any bad that comes from it is not their responsibility. 

Edited by CygnuS, Yesterday, 09:49 PM.

#13 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

The problems you list are more threatening because we ignore the science that could inform better decisions.  Instead we see short term gain over long term cost, zero sum outlooks, and many tragedies of the commons.   The people making and pushing these choices scare me more than the facts.  

#14 Mister T

Mister T

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted Today, 05:47 AM

I would say Industry is Man's attempt to create order.

Unfortunately order may end up being a planet baked to death by the greenhouse effect.

#15 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 07:21 AM

I would say Industry is Man's attempt to create order.

Unfortunately order may end up being a planet baked to death by the greenhouse effect.

And I suppose you could say that it is the fault of humans and not science but separating the two is difficult so both should be feared because it is both that caused the problem. But I  guess fearing science is unreasonable since it wouldn't exist if humans didn't create it so it is only the humans who could destroy us that we should fear. In other words, blame the murderer, not the weapon. My point is that maybe we should consider more seriousely the future results of science as we continue to use science to invent more and more ways to destroy ourselves. 

#16 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted Today, 10:14 AM

Yes, each and every time I engage in it smile.gif  I usually find out much of what I see is not true and almost all I read is total nonsense. Shocking and scary, huh?

Edited by Jeff B1, Today, 10:16 AM.

#17 StrStrck

StrStrck

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

Wrong science performed by the wrong people, and for all the wrong reasons.

(I can’t define my wrongs without the risk of singling members of Earth’s society out).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics