•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Denver Observing Chair --- NW Edition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

My winter time project was a "Denver Observing Chair".  I made a few modifications on the design:

1) I used a small lid support hinge instead of the customary aluminum bar spreader.

2) To keep the seat in position, there is a row of screws and 1/4-20 nuts installed on the back side of the front leg.

3) The top, bottom, and cross support ends are all tapered approx. 20 degrees.

4) The cross support is attached to the back leg when it is less likely to trip you up in the dark.

5) A small nose/foot is attached to the bottom of the front leg as a seat stop, and, to move the center of gravity slightly forward.

chair01.jpg

chair02.jpg

chair03.jpg

• payner, dryfly, havasman and 4 others like this

#2 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:09 PM

Very nice.,can you show us the bottom of the seat?.,cheers.,

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

Looks good, but the seat isn't horizontal to the ground is it? 

#4 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:21 AM

The seat started out tilted slightly up.  The corner edge of the 2x4 seat support block rests on the front leg.  As I worked on the chair and tested the chair, the block edge has worn so the seat tilts slightly down.

I haven't decided if I an going to cut a triangle shaped wedge for the end of the seat block, or re-cut a new block with a tapered end that butts flush to the leg.

The original Denver Observing chair relied on the square block edge to bite into the non-skid material to keep the seat from sliding.  This design does away with the non-skid, and, uses screws and washers instead.  So, the seat block can be flush with the leg rather than bite into the leg.

Edited by whizbang, 17 January 2020 - 01:23 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics