•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starting Equipment

accessories beginner Celestron equipment eyepieces tripod
  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Who exactly who are you talking about buying out of the gate that is misleading a fellow astronomer ?

He doesn't even have a telescope yet. That certainly makes filter purchases seems like "out of the gate" items. 

Clear Skies, Friends! flowerred.gif 

...Joe

#77 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

He doesn't even have a telescope yet. That certainly makes filter purchases seems like "out of the gate" items. 

Clear Skies, Friends! flowerred.gif 

...Joe

Around #50 the poster started talking about filters and thus my comments, if you would read instead of opening ........... , maybe you would understand ! If you aren’t happy tell it to the poster, they are in a learning mode and its their post ! Give them ....... !

Edited by LDW47, 01 February 2020 - 03:06 PM.

• CinkBeast likes this

#78 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

I know. I've been part of the filter discussion since Post #45. If you would read instead of slamming me.....

And I am telling it to the OP. That's why I offered an alternate opinion to yours in his thread. Not to change your mind - to help him.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#79 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

I know. I've been part of the filter discussion since Post #45. If you would read instead of slamming me.....

And I am telling it to the OP. That's why I offered an alternate opinion to yours in his thread. Not to change your mind - to help him.

I only call’em like I see’em, always have, always will ! 

#80 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

@CinkBeast, hey there friend and welcome to the wide world of stargazing and differing opinions wink.gif

Ive gotta say, I’m with JOEinCO on this one. You don’t need much at first, like he said, an inexpensive scope, couple of eyepieces, chart, red light and a chair.

If you wanted to be a carpenter would you attempt to build a house without first getting a few hand tools and learning how to use them ?

If you you wanted to start a band would you do so without first buying an instrument and becoming proficient at playing ?

You say you have naked eye experience with the sky, well that’s a fantastic starting point. Get your scope, learn to navigate the stars, learn their names and read about them. That’s half the fun of astronomy, some would say more than half the fun.

By the way, reading the posts here on CN can be an unending source of knowledge!

keep at it and good luck.

• SeaBee1 and JOEinCO like this

#81 CinkBeast

CinkBeast

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Koper, Slovenia

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:40 AM

I understand your concern, but again I don’t really want to buy telescope accessories constantly. I still think that a cheap moon filter wouldn’t hurt.

• LDW47 likes this

#82 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

If my experience is typical, the first few hours spent with a new scope will reveal some unforeseen issues.Taking care of those will take some ingenuity and a few days of tinkering. Chances are good that the thought about stuff providing marginal gains will recede into the background for a while.

For example, I can't imagine myself researching filters if my new table-top scope lacks a stable support. M42 moving around in my eyepiece like a lamb's tail would almost certainly eliminate 'filters' from my immediate area of concern.

• JOEinCO likes this

#83 LDW47

LDW47

Gemini

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

I understand your concern, but again I don’t really want to buy telescope accessories constantly. I still think that a cheap moon filter wouldn’t hurt.

In the big picture even a decent variable polarizer is pretty cheap, you don’t have to break the bank and buy top end, my 2 are made by Lumicon (2”) and Orion (1.25”) and for what they are made for they work flawlessly and there is the used market on here ! And a small piece of advise, don’t ever stop thinking about the future and the tools you may want / need in the future, they will come as your spare $ comes, no one has said or implied that you buy any accessories right away as some have stated, it doesn’t take a lot to think while you are enjoying your new toys, this wonderful hobby, it won’t confuse as they try and say. Looking at enhancing your hobby, our hobby altogether, is what helps to create excitement, the anticipation of things to come, its what keeps you / us going down that road to the wonders of the nite skies ! You and only you will know when its time !  Clear Skies brother !   PS: Try and hit a star party or two, visit a local club or if you have a couple of friends in the hobby try out what they have, if possible to get an initial feel.

Edited by LDW47, 02 February 2020 - 09:33 AM.

• JOEinCO and CinkBeast like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, beginner, Celestron, equipment, eyepieces, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics