•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Plans for 8 or 10 inch Newtonian with open tube?

DIY ATM beginner
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Halfwhelk

Halfwhelk

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

Hi. This is my first post to this forum.

Please excuse me if this information is elsewhere on the site. I had a look and couldn't find what I wanted, possibly my terminology is wrong.

I'm thinking of building a 8 or 10" Newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. I want to build what I think is called a open tube or truss telescope and  I'm looking for some plans to use as a source for further development

I'm not after a quick build here, I anticipate this will take years. I have a workshop with machine tools, 3D printer and a reasonable level of skill which I'm hoping to improve by experience (and error!) so the modular construction of an open tube is attractive. For me, the constructing is as important as the astronomy.

My initial thoughts were to build in brass like the early 20th century telescopes, but now I think carbon fibre tubes with machined aluminium end pieces is probably a better way to go. 

I'd be grateful if you could point me at some resources. Advice and correction of misconceptions also welcome.

Thanks.

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

Welcome!  You've come to the right place.  Here's a start...

https://stellafane.org/tm/

#3 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:04 PM

I have already seen pictures of truss structure Newtonian installed on an equatorial mount, they exist but it's not highly common.  I have one picture in my files of a very decent concept or truss Newtonian on EQ mount that can be reverse engineered.

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

Hercules telescopes has a lot of split truss scopes for observatories 

here’s a 10”f6 I drew up long ago.

i have some criticisms on my own sketch but this should get you started. grin.gif 65C303CF-571B-402A-9937-E92BB788E42F.jpeg

Edited by Pinbout, 16 January 2020 - 06:46 PM.

• megachriops95 likes this

#5 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

This book is a classic. https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/0943396697

#6 Oberon

Oberon

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

My initial thoughts were to build in brass like the early 20th century telescopes, but now I think carbon fibre tubes with machined aluminium end pieces is probably a better way to go. 

I'd be grateful if you could point me at some resources. Advice and correction of misconceptions also welcome.

Thanks.

Nice project!

Just be aware that carbon fibre and aluminium together are a no-no. Very corrosive. Stainless Steel 316 is OK with CF, titanium even better, but aluminium will fail unless you manage to keep it well insulated from the CF.

#7 ccaissie

ccaissie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

Here's an 8" f/7 with a flex mirror.  I used 3/8" dia aluminum tubes.  The main assembly is rigid, the upper assembly rotates.

Just got the mirror recoated and will upgrade the scope for coming planet season.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2687.JPG

Edited by ccaissie, 17 January 2020 - 08:09 PM.

• tim53 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, ATM, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics